• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tried to buy a SA 1911 RO

SFC13557

NES Member
called Four Seasons to buy one on the tax free weekend and they laughed at me. No idea when they will receive a new shipment. And the Biden bros think they're winning?

There isn't a lot out there especially if it's popular I've been looking for a certain SIG and although dealer websites list them in stock they are not. If your looking for a Flobert parlor rifle then you just might get a chance to buy something.

The biggest question is when the dealer have nothing left to sell but the unwanted toys will they be able to remain in business with no sales that's a question I would like to see answered. Granted a few selling more than firearms and ammo have insulated themselves but what about the rest?

with 4s you just need to show up. They will likely have it. I don't know what it is, but they always say they are out of items over the phone.

There isn't a lot out there especially if it's popular I've been looking for a certain SIG and although dealer websites list them in stock they are not. If your looking for a Flobert parlor rifle then you just might get a chance to buy something.
IMHO there is stuff out there but you need a dealer that is willing to go distributor fishing on your behalf. rt 95 Deli Ticket Emporium sure as hell isn't going to do that, at this
point. They have a fixed menu of shit they sell and it is what it is. In the real world beyond the deli counter, there stuff that is "hard to come by" ? yes. but not impossible. And when it is
found, the price isnt usually too much off from where it was, either. Some patience is required too. (like a few weeks of waiting).

Ammo right now is a far bigger problem. Actually the ammo situation might help tamp things and make gun availability better. A lot of johnny one box types wont buy something if they can't get ammo for it immediately.

The biggest question is when the dealer have nothing left to sell but the unwanted toys will they be able to remain in business with no sales that's a question I would like to see answered. Granted a few selling more than firearms and ammo have insulated themselves but what about the rest?

Lol, established dealers have to do this every year, usually some parts of the year are softer than others, etc. Rona already killed off the weakest ones at this point, any dealer suffering at the beginning of this has already long run out of inventory to sell and can't get more etc. There are several in MA and NH that likely got hosed by this because they didnt have enough cred with distributors to get product allocation......

IMHO there is stuff out there but you need a dealer that is willing to go distributor fishing on your behalf. rt 95 Deli Ticket Emporium sure as hell isn't going to do that, at this
point. They have a fixed menu of shit they sell and it is what it is. In the real world beyond the deli counter, there stuff that is "hard to come by" ? yes. but not impossible. And when it is
found, the price isnt usually too much off from where it was, either. Some patience is required too. (like a few weeks of waiting).

Ammo right now is a far bigger problem. Actually the ammo situation might help tamp things and make gun availability better. A lot of johnny one box types wont buy something if they can't get ammo for it immediately.

Lol, established dealers have to do this every year, usually some parts of the year are softer than others, etc. Rona already killed off the weakest ones at this point, any dealer suffering at the beginning of this has already long run out of inventory to sell and can't get more etc. There are several in MA and NH that likely got hosed by this because they didnt have enough cred with distributors to get product allocation......

avtually guns are just as much of a problem as ammo and have been for a few months now , to top that off parts and accessories are also a problem

this isn’t like anything the industry has ever seen before

called Four Seasons to buy one on the tax free weekend and they laughed at me. No idea when they will receive a new shipment. And the Biden bros think they're winning?
This is a blessing in disguise. If their inventory is low then there may be fewer people standing in line out into the parking lot on tax free weekend and you may have a chance of getting into the shop in less than an hour.
In all seriousness.......I'm not surprised they don't have exactly what your looking for. It's kind of a thing going on nation wide.

Seems like there was quite a boom of new dealers (excluding the mill) in the past few years in Mass. Its going to be hard for them to survive this. Any momentum they had, including getting better pricing and volume was cut short.

But what goes around comes around - shortages now, then in a few years, hopefully surplus again. I just wonder if after this folks would even be willing to risk opening a gun shop.

Seems like there was quite a boom of new dealers (excluding the mill) in the past few years in Mass. Its going to be hard for them to survive this. Any momentum they had, including getting better pricing and volume was cut short.

The Charlie Faker corona lockdown bullshit hurt a lot of dealers here in a big way. They didnt have cash flow for how ever many months it was during the lockdown, which inhibited their ability to order more inventory to prepare for when business resumed....

Last edited:
I bet. The capital outlay it takes to build up inventory (esp if you don't have preferred pricing) to outlive a slowdown is mega bucks.

I wonder if the run of the mill gun shop, especially a new one, has maybe 2-3 of a firearm model on hand and maybe a few cases of ammo, its razor margin business I bet.

Sucks how when times are good, prices go down, so you need volume and price competitiveness - then when prices go up during a shortage, there is nothing to sell!!

The corona bullshit hurt a lot of dealers here in a big way. They didnt have cash flow for how ever many months it was during the lockdown, which inhibited their ability to order more inventory to prepare for when business resumed....

I bet. The capital outlay it takes to build up inventory (esp if you don't have preferred pricing) to outlive a slowdown is mega bucks.

I wonder if the run of the mill gun shop, especially a new one, has maybe 2-3 of a firearm model on hand and maybe a few cases of ammo, its razor margin business I bet.

Sucks how when times are good, prices go down, so you need volume and price competitiveness - then when prices go up during a shortage, there is nothing to sell!!

The margins are not always horrendous but sales volume is very unpredictable unless you have an established retail siting/customer base, etc. The shops that survive the longest are "persistently known" IMHO. If you don't have those at least semi-hardcore regulars stopping by once a week or 1-3 times a month, even during the lean times, the shop will probably die eventually. You need to have some "regular" business to get you through lean periods. Establishing this "foundation" of consistent sales is difficult.

surprised the OP is surprised there's a shortage of guns and ammo everywhere. Someone hasn't been paying attention.
I am quite well informed on the situation, Four Seasons has them on their website and it doesn't say out of stock. I've been checking their website weekly, waiting for their tax day email. I called them a few weeks ago asking if Carl was going to run his tax free weekend deal and they said yes, I didn't ask about stock of said firearm because they were advertising them on their website.

looking for very specific items can be tough.
I have only been in 3 LGS since covid.
All 3 had a good selection of 1911s
and Revolvers. Not much in 9mm

My LGS in North Brookfield still has about 3 dozen handguns in various calibers. New and used.
Paradis Firearms 508-867-3268 if anyone is interested. No 9mm ammo but he's got other ammo. I didn't look to see exactly what he has.
He didn't raise prices either. Had 20 boxes of S&B 9MM two weeks ago for $14.50 a box

Randy at the Mill has a loaded MC Operator I'm going to look at.
Bought it. Very stiff, with slide locked back and mag in can't release the slide. drop the mag and press release and no problem. recommendations for new mags? not thrilled with the Packmayr grips, will need to order VZ G10 grips. It will take a bit of practice to get the field stripping process down. I owned a S&W stainless 1911 years ago but sold it.

Last edited:
Holy Shit is this thing tight. With mag in almost impossible to depress slide release so slide goes forward. Drop mag 1/2" and much easier. Is it the mags? I need to purchase ammo from target sports, what's good target ammo?

Attachments

• IMG_0611 (1).jpg
    IMG_0611 (1).jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 30
Holy Shit is this thing tight. With mag in almost impossible to depress slide release so slide goes forward. Drop mag 1/2" and much easier. Is it the mags? I need to purchase ammo from target sports, what's good target ammo?
Keep it up and you won't have to worry about that. Then you will be replacing parts.

Back
Top Bottom