• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger Job 10lbs to ~4lbs

Lank

NES Member
Regarding trigger pull- can I get a trigger job on a mass kompliant pistol/rifle?

I have read that ideal # for a self defense carry gun is in the 4-5lb range. Plus I want to start modding my bushmaster.

Any advice is always appreciated. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
I've found that almost more important that the trigger pull weight is smoothness and length of travel. A smooth trigger pull combined with only a moderate length of pull seems to work best for me. Combined with about a 5 lb pull.

YMMV.

I dont think AR's come with a 10lb trigger pretty sure it is handguns. at least my gf's she bought off the shelf does not

Yes...Yes... I want single action feel (and short travel length) on SA/DA while shoot DA.
If your question is "is this legal?" then yes, it is.
If you'd like to know "where can I get a trigger job like this?" post what you have and I'm sure someone will be able to direct you to a competent gunsmith

I have read that ideal # for a self defense carry gun is in the 4-5lb range. Plus I want to start modding my bushmaster.

bushmaster for self defense carry? grindhouse style?
rose-mcgowan-machine-gun-leg.jpg

I took the orgasmic "yes...yes..." and "while shooting DA" as such. But really only the OP knows...

Regarding trigger pull- can I get a trigger job on a mass kompliant pistol/rifle?

As far as the Bushmaster is concerned, you can replace the stock mil-spec trigger with an aftermarket trigger, such as Geiselle, JP, etc. The list is quite long, and they all have a different feel to them, so pick whichever suits your needs.

Understand that the 10 pound trigger requirement as sold at retail is for pistols that do not have some kind of external safety, such as a 1911, which can come with a 4.5 pound pull right from the factory.

As mentioned, safety on a carry gun is a function of both weight of pull and length of pull; short and light is ill-advised, as is heavy and long. My personal preference is for a relatively light pull (2.5-3#) with a moderate pull length. however, if you get three people in a room, you'll get at least five opinions as to what's best.

Last edited:
I bought a new M&P 9 full size and had the Apex FSS kit installed which brought it down to a little over 4lbs with a very short reset. You sneeze and it would fire. Its just a range gun and would not advise doing that to a carry gun. On my carry gun I just had the Apex duty/carry spring installed. Still a little less than 10lbs maybe 8 or so but took away the gritty feel out of the trigger pull.
pa3yqaqe.jpg

Fired from My HTC One X+ with high capacity storage

I bought a new M&P 9 full size and had the Apex FSS kit installed which brought it down to a little over 4lbs with a very short reset. You sneeze and it would fire. Its just a range gun and would not advise doing that to a carry gun. On my carry gun I just had the Apex duty/carry spring installed. Still a little less than 10lbs maybe 8 or so but took away the gritty feel out of the trigger pull.

The 4lbs without the short reset would be quite manageable, but, as always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom