• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger pull/Trigger job on Remington 700

I have two Remington 700 BDL's. One is a .223 and the other is a .30-06. The .223 was manufactured in 2000 and I have not yet dated the .30-06. I bought both used with the .30-06 claiming to be unfired(very possible). I have found that they have two very different trigger pulls. The .223 feels very light and crisp , the .30-06 is heavy as hell. It literally feels at least 3x as heavy as the .223[crying]. Does anyone know about how much it costs to lighten the trigger or maybe replace it. I haven't called any gunsmiths yet because it's Sunday. I just got back from the range and I thought I'd ask here just to get some input from you guys and gals. Thanks Jr.

Thanks for the quick reply. I read that article but, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. $200 dollars for a Jewell trigger is a bit too much for me(sounds like they are awesome though). I think I'll probally just a have a gunsmith adjust mine if the price isn't too bad. Thanks Jr.

My 700 BDL .270 has a jewel trigger. I LOVE it. It actually came with the gun when I bought it used. It is a tack driver.

A Rifle Basix trigger is half the cost of a Jewell and about 90% as good. Speaking from first hand experience here.

Thanks Jose I'll keep that in mind. I still need to find out the cost just to adjust the stock trigger. Is it easier to install a new trigger as opposed to adjusting the stock trigger? I don't think the trigger on the .223 is aftermarket and if I could get the .30-06 as light as that one I'd be satisfied. Thanks Jr.

Depending on what needs to be done to the factory trigger it could very well be easier to change it for an aftermarket unit.

If all you do is play with the return spring scew (which controls pull weight) and the sear engagement screw, it might be easier than changing the whole thing out, or it might not be.

If you have to get into disassembling the trigger and stoning/polishing it up, then it is definitely easier to shitcan it and get a new one.

The gunsmith called me today. He lighten the trigger pull from 8.5lbs down to 2.75lbs. He's charged $35, seemed fair. I can't wait to try it out at the range tomorrow.

Sounds like a winner. Make sure he did not lighten the sear engagement so much that the pin drops when closing the bolt smartly or when you smack the butt of the rifle hard.

Sounds like a winner. Make sure he did not lighten the sear engagement so much that the pin drops when closing the bolt smartly or when you smack the butt of the rifle hard.
Thanks Jose, I will test that out. I hope to be at the range tomorrow. He also shortened the screw behind the bolt because the bolt was touching it a little when pulled back and pushed in. Also he filed down the stock a hair so bolt locks nice and easy now. Total damages $45 and less then 24 hours. It feels like a hole new rifle.

Patriot after I test it out I'd be happy to share his name.

Just got back from the range. It is definitely a whole new rifle. The trigger feels great and the bolt is nice and smooth. I tried what you said Jose and no problem there.

Patriot, the gunsmiths name is Ron Strickland. He is in Berkley. His number is 508-880-2858.

Back
Top Bottom