• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trigger Pull

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I just thought I’d double check here.

I know dealers are not supposed to sell pistols in MA with less than a 10lb trigger pull (I believe there are a couple other alternative modifications, but I digress).

I have a pistol (HK P30SKS v3 da/sa with thumb safety and decocker, if that matters to the answer) that I bought from Mass Firearms, but I have small hands and had trouble safely managing the pull, so I had the trigger return and firing pin block springs lightened by a gunsmith.
It was done with official HK parts, and the gunsmith said the change should make the pull 3-3.5 lbs lighter.

My question is - do I need to return the gun to a 10lb pull before selling/transferring to another individual, or is that law just for an FFL/actual licensed gun dealer?

Thanks in advance

You are free to adjust the trigger as you see fit. And sell it to anyone.

The restriction has nothing to do with gun owners.

Follow-up question...say you transfer it to a dealer, for whatever reason. Maybe your license lapses, you are involved in something that causes it to be revoked etc., so you tell the police (in a written letter, within one week of your guns being confiscated IIRC), to give them to an FFL holder. Can the dealer transfer it back to you once your license is restored, or is it now "non-compliant?" I guess the same would go for if you moved here with or otherwise acquired an off-roster, post 98 (or whatever year it was) pistol.

Follow-up question...say you transfer it to a dealer, for whatever reason. Maybe your license lapses, you are involved in something that causes it to be revoked etc., so you tell the police (in a written letter, within one week of your guns being confiscated IIRC), to give them to an FFL holder. Can the dealer transfer it back to you once your license is restored, or is it now "non-compliant?" I guess the same would go for if you moved here with or otherwise acquired an off-roster, post 98 (or whatever year it was) pistol.
In general, no most FFLs won't transfer back to you any off-roster guns. Ones that have been modified to be non-compliant is iffy . . . you have to pick your FFL very carefully.

I've bought used guns from very reputable FFL types with trigger pulls way less than 10 pounds. I don't recall this every being a concern with any of them.

If the gun is off list, like a Glock, the FFL may balk at transferring it back to you. Otherwise, in my experience, the trigger weight is ignored.

Back
Top Bottom