• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Triggers and performamce

shakti

NES Member
Hello,

I am considering upgrading the trigger of my 22LR pistol since I keep getting recommendations to make it crisper. Can someone who has upgraded triggers tell me if it makes a difference and is worth it?

Hello,

I am considering upgrading the trigger of my 22LR pistol since I keep getting recommendations to make it crisper. Can someone who has upgraded triggers tell me if it makes a difference and is worth it?
What is the pistol?
What is the trigger upgrade?
What is your use case?

For precision off hand shooting like bullseye competition it makes a significant difference. Lighter and smoother will lead to less movement of the gun when squeezing the trigger.

If your hitting your x ring you don't need a trigger. If your not hitting your x ring you need better trigger control, not a new trigger. If your hitting the x ring and want to make it more easier/enjoyable get a new trigger. It's the Indian not the arrow.

Everything posted here as responses is good and you should read them and consider them.

I'll add - go try a gun that's been modified similarly to what you want to do, and see if it matters. Given the nature of your question, I suspect that you're better served at this time, (not speaking to the future), by investing in ammo and perhaps training.

Somewhat analagous, I have a couple of Glocks. My G34 is my primary competition gun and it's got an aftermarket trigger in it. My G19 is recently acquired and the trigger is stock. It's clunky compared to the G34, but it doesn't keep me from shooting it to my capabilities. My limitation with that gun is my failing eye sight and the iron sights.

Hello,

Depending on the pistol:
Volquartsen accurizing kit + TK flat trigger

Doesn't get better than that

Rugers and Buckmark, you can do all the work yourself in under 1hr. Very easy and there are videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
Oh, in that case you don't need a new trigger.

You need a new gun. :p

Kidding. You need to answer post#2's questions for us to give you good input.

I shoot .22 handgun competition pretty often. (Pins and plates, not Bullseye) I started with a stock Ruger MKII and did OK with it but I got to the point where I knew that a better gun/trigger would improve my performance. I found a High Standard Supermatic Citation that I have been using for about 10-12 years now. The trigger breaks like a tiny icicle in the dead of winter and it is more accurate than I could ever hold it even though it was made in the 1950's. I often say that "It is the Indian, and not the arrow" that makes the difference however having a great bow beats having a shitty one.

Good luck.

Last edited:
This may be an unfair assumption….

If that’s a new version of the P22, it’s probably a piece of crap.

Google “P22 bible” for list of things (and instructions) you can do make it a little more reliable and improve trigger.

Best thing we did for my son was sell the POS and buy him a Ruger MK2 competition model. With a couple simple mods, it was a lightning fast and accurate gun.

Oh, in that case you don't need a new trigger.

You need a new gun. :p

Kidding. You need to answer post#2's questions for us to give you good input.

I shoot .22 handgun competition pretty often. (Pins and plates, not Bullseye) I started with a stock Ruger MKII and did OK with it but I got to the point where I knew that a better gun/trigger would improve my performance. I found a High Standard Supermatic Citation that I have been using for about 10-12 years now. The trigger breaks like a tiny icicle in the dead of winter and it is more accurate than I could ever hold it even though it was made in the 1950's. I often say that "It is the Indian, and not the arrow" that makes the difference however having a great bow beats having a shitty one.

Good luck.
See i was only half facetious

This may be an unfair assumption….

If that’s a new version of the P22, it’s probably a piece of crap.

Google “P22 bible” for list of things (and instructions) you can do make it a little more reliable and improve trigger.

Best thing we did for my son was sell the POS and buy him a Ruger MK2 competition model. With a couple simple mods, it was a lightning fast and accurate gun.
Its the sig 3 series 22

To improve your enjoyment with a Walther p22 steps are as follows

Find friend with large tread vehicle and run gun over

Stuff barrel with c4 and detonate from a safe distance

Punt it off a bridge

Talk it up on a gun forum and sell it to a user

Go to your Club. Talk to a "serious" .22 shooter (generally have a black pistol box), and see if they'll let you try their toy.

If you feel the difference, and it makes a difference, then you have your answer.

I svck at Bullseye (though I've been known to do it), and will say that a better trigger makes me svck less.

The trigger does not matter as much on the Trap field [laugh] which is why I shoot more Trap!

Hello,

Seriously this is sooooo subjective. I’m a trigger snob, BUT, in a competition I’m slapping it and speed over feel.

Seriously this is sooooo subjective. I’m a trigger snob, BUT, in a competition I’m slapping it and speed over feel.
That's what she said.

Back on topic. I take it your competition is plates or idpa of some kind involving the shot timer.

If the pistol is for bullseye leages.....yeah.....some of us actually still shoot bullseye league 😁......the trigger can make a difference As even the "rapid fire" stage isn't really that fast compared to steel competitions. Fwiw I do both bullseye and plates and enjoy both equally.

I took a class with Tim Herron a while ago. I know about trigger reset - he's the first instructor I've ever heard say "just slap the trigger". He told us for the vast majority of shots in USPSA there's no need to do anything else, the shots are easy enough and the goal is speed.

Got a lot of things out of his class, but that one really surprised me.

That's what she said.

Back on topic. I take it your competition is plates or idpa of some kind involving the shot timer.

If the pistol is for bullseye leages.....yeah.....some of us actually still shoot bullseye league 😁......the trigger can make a difference As even the "rapid fire" stage isn't really that fast compared to steel competitions. Fwiw I do both bullseye and plates and enjoy both equally.
Yup. Idpa, uspsa, 3-gun, steel shoots.

No precision in the above.

Bullseye, different animal.

Back
Top Bottom