• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon ACOG : Which one?

I have been toying with higher to mid level sights for a while and I believe I am on the fence of making the next step. How in the world do you figure out the maze of ACOG sights / scopes? I know color creates 3 choices for each model but where do you go from there. I definitely want magnification. I have a Leupold CQ/T with 3 times which is nice but I think I want a touch more. So, probably 4 times and I like red. So, that narrows it down a bit, but? Jeez

How long does the tritium last? Can it be re-energized?

Any opinions?

Thanks

Did you see the thread about how much they are charging to replace the tritium? I think it was like $400+

I've had a TA-01 since about 1992~93. The tritium is still strong in mine.

B

I have a TA31F-RCO and love it. Despite all the complaints about the BAC it's quite effective with both eyes open even though i'm a righty who's left eye dominant. Shot's are a little off with both eyes open because of this but still good enough to make an effective shot. I also like the idea of it never needing batteries. Batteries die and are just another thing to carry around with you adding weight. It might be $400ish to replace the tritium every decade and a half but it's still probably cheaper than feeding batteries to an EOTech :)

I've got a TA 01. Moved from an Eotech to it. Great sight. If you're buying new consider spending the extra for one of the fiber optic illuminated ones. The 4x magnification is just enough to give you the extra you need without being overpowering for shooting off hand or closer than 100 yards.

This started when I was looking for a magnifier for my Eotech and the shop introduced me to ACOG sites. So, I am on the fence of 500 for magnifier or sell the eotech and go acog. I have finally prepared myself metally that the site can cost as much as the rifle.

Do either of you have this kill flash? Does it act like a sun shade too? The army and usmc models seem nice are they overkill?

I have a TA01NSN (I think). Regardless, it's a 4x32 with a 5.56 BDC reticle to 600yds and no fiber optic illuminator and red illumination. I like it a lot.

Keep an eye on http://www.samplelist.com as they tend to have very good deals.

This started when I was looking for a magnifier for my Eotech and the shop introduced me to ACOG sites. So, I am on the fence of 500 for magnifier or sell the eotech and go acog. I have finally prepared myself metally that the site can cost as much as the rifle.

Do either of you have this kill flash? Does it act like a sun shade too? The army and usmc models seem nice are they overkill?

Or you can get an Elcan SpectreDR which is both 1x & 4x with the flip of a switch. Riley's in Hooksett has them in stock for ~$1800.

Or you can get an Elcan SpectreDR which is both 1x & 4x with the flip of a switch. Riley's in Hooksett has them in stock for ~$1800.

Money often does make a problem easier to optimize for.

With some effort, you can get both a Eotech and ACOG for 2/3 of that cost though, admittedly, the combo isn't quite as easy to deal with on the same gun.

Money often does make a problem easier to optimize for.

With some effort, you can get both a Eotech and ACOG for 2/3 of that cost though, admittedly, the combo isn't quite as easy to deal with on the same gun.

True but if you get the Elcan you don't need those fancy quick release mounts for the EOTech and ACOG :)

I run both on my 10.5" AR SBR now. I normally run it with the ACOG but I keep the EOTech nearby if I need something for strictly CQB. I do think that with more range time i'll get more comfortable with the ACOG and its BDC and then I can ditch the EOTech (put it back on my PS90).

There are a couple USMC TA31RCO (one for the M4 and one for the A4). And the army has two as well both for th M150 one green and one red.

Does anyone have any experience with the TA44 series ACOGs? I was thinking of one as a replacement for my Aimpoint T-1... but was looking for feedback [grin]

I would forget the ACOG and get a quality 1-4X scope. There are several worthy ones to choose from from Burris, Leupold, IOR-Valdada, Meopta, US Optics, Nightforce, Nikon, Vortex and several others.

I would forget the ACOG and get a quality 1-4X scope. There are several worthy ones to choose from from Burris, Leupold, IOR-Valdada, Meopta, US Optics, Nightforce, Nikon, Vortex and several others.

And why is that exactly?

And why is that exactly?

Do you like to argue the obvious?

I know, I know, rhetorical question.......

But I will humor you.
1) Tremendous advantage in field of view at 1X
2) Ability to change magnification to suit the situation

Jose,

I've been debating between a 1-4x versus ACOG for a while. So, you aren't a fan of the dual illumination with no batteries that the ACOG offers? Plus I think ACOGs have the edge in ruggedness as well.

Also the 1-4Xs that I have played with don't seem to be that great at 1x - certainly not like a red dot. So, I'm not sure if I would get that much of a speed advantage over a 3x ACOG (at close quarters ranges).

I'm also a big fan of longer eye relief, which I think some of the ACOGs probably have an edge on...

Do you like to argue the obvious?

I know, I know, rhetorical question.......

But I will humor you.
1) Tremendous advantage in field of view at 1X
2) Ability to change magnification to suit the situation

There's some irony since the OP obviously wants an ACOG.

Yes, a 1-4x scope has some advantages but there are also tradeoffs. An ACOG will generally have longer eye relief, illuminated reticle with no batteries and it'll be more rugged. Also, at least comparing to a Nightforce 1-4x, the ACOG has a better field of view at 100 yds (36yds vs. 25 for the Nightforce).

this is entirely subjective, based on my experience alone: i've seen multiple TA01 ACOGs break, but my TA01NSN has been abused unreasonably, and i haven't been able to break it yet.

just my observations, YMMV.

Just a note. I ran some interesting carbine drills today with some other guys running unmagnified red dots of various manufacture. Range varied from 10 yards to 50 yards so we're talking close in work. I wasn't running at a significant disadvantage at the 10 yard mark - no magnification would have been easier but again - no disadvantage - and on the longer drills I think the magnification was a distinct advantage - at least in my opinion it was. I was quite happy I moved up from the eotech.

Guys when u cover the fiber on your Acog does the reticle stay illuminated?

Yes that's what the tritium is for :)

It's common practice in combat to partially cover the fiber with gaffers tape if the reticle is too bright. Some also tape a mini cyalume light stick on to the fiber to add some light to the sight at night if the tritium alone isn't cutting it.

I went with the TA31RCO-m150.

How bright is yours in low light? Is it the same as when lit from the fiber? Mine seems pretty dim.

I recently went with the standard TA-01. For the price difference of the more expensive models I didn't feel they offered any "real" bonus to me. For CQ, instinct takes over and muscle memory does the job excellently -- I think the money spent on the more expensive ACOG models would be better spent on ammo and practice for a lot of individuals. If money isn't an issue than heck just get whatever you want.

My thoughts at the time of my TA-01 purchase: I'd rather save the cash and put it towards part of a Nightforce once my name comes up in the waiting list for the soon-released Barrett Mag-fed Bohica .50 BMG AR Upper.

Back
Top Bottom