• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Troop Carvings

So I picked up a Hungarian M44 the other day for really cheap and I am in the process of refinishing it. Rebluing it, gluing back a piece of stock, stripped off the old finish, sanding, possibly stain (or not) and then refinish the wood. It was extremely cheap and looked like complete crap beforehand so I didn't have to think twice about whether refinishing it would take away from the value.

So anyway, I found some troop carvings on the side of the stock. It read:

B
1 1 1 1 1 1 1
CAREI

I researched Carei and found it to be a town in Romania that changed hands between Hungary and Romania over the years. I'm wondering, does anyone know what the B might stand for? An army unit maybe? Also with the vertical lines do you guys think it's a time counter or maybe a kill count? Do you guys think this will add much value to the rifle? I was very close to sanding it off, but I felt really bad about destroying history. I just wanted a cheap shooter, so I'm not too concerned about the value of the gun unless it was something really important. On a side note, should I stain the wood and if so, should I avoid the patch with markings? Maybe I should just leave the stock blonde? Any information you guys can give me about the carving or the battle over Carei in WWII would be much appreciated. Thanks

I would not touch the markings - I love the history old rifles bring with them.
Don't have any information on your questions sorry to say.
Would love to hear more if anybody else chimes in.

Yea apparently they fought over the city in 1942, but don't know much more than what google can tell me. Also, maybe this is a stupid question but why did Hungary who was axis have soviet weaponry? I assume they were issued by Russia and then became their enemies or perhaps they just copied the design? I need a historian this is gettin confusing [wink]

Back
Top Bottom