Troopers Arrest Man Trafficking Narcotics with Firearm on Rt 95 in Sharon

commodon

NES Member
TROOPERS ARREST MAN TRAFFICKING NARCOTICS WITH FIREARM

At approximately 2 a.m. on March 9, Trooper Ryan Crumbaker, assigned to State Police-Foxboro, was patrolling Route 95 in Sharon. At that time he received a call to respond to a vehicle that was disabled in the middle lane of Route 95 southbound prior to Exit 17 in Sharon. Upon his arrival he confirmed the vehicle was disabled, unable to be put in neutral, and requested a tow truck to remove the vehicle.

Upon the arrival of the tow truck Trooper Crumbaker asked the operator of the disabled vehicle, identified as DAVID BOWDRE, 26, of Lexington, to remain in a safe location while his vehicle was loaded. Prior to the tow truck taking possession of the vehicle Trooper Crumbaker conducted an inventory of its contents. During the inventory he located a loaded .40 caliber Glock pistol. BOWDRE is not licensed to carry firearms and was placed under arrest. Trooper Crumbaker also located a large amount of narcotics in the vehicle as well. In total 350 grams of a substance suspected to be Fentanyl, 250 grams of psychedelic mushrooms, 150 grams of methamphetamine, 150 grams of cocaine, 19 Percocet pills, and approximately three pounds of Marijuana were seized. Troopers also located a 13 round magazine and a 30 round magazine in the vehicle.

BOWDRE was transported to the Foxboro Barracks for booking. A bail commissioner was contacted and ordered BOWDRE to be held for court without bail. He was transported to Stoughton District Court for arraignment on the following charges:

1. Illegal Possession of a Firearm, second offense;
2. Possession of a Large Capacity Feeding Device;
3. Possession of a Firearm in Commission of a Felony;
4. Possession of a Firearm with One Prior Violent/Drug Crime;
5. Carrying a Loaded Firearm;
6. Possession of Ammunition without FID Card;
7. Trafficking in Fentanyl;
8. Trafficking in Cocaine;
9. Trafficking in Methamphetamine;
10. Possess with Intent to Distribute a Class B Substance, three counts; and
11. Possess with Intent to Distribute a Class C Substance, two counts.

1647391120678.png

Last edited:
Why was the MSP doing inventory of the vehicles contents before he was even arrested?
My guess is that when the vehicle needs to be towed, they need to make sure nothing is lost in the transport. But unless a crime is committed, the officer should've asked permission to search, otherwise it's a 4A violation. Either the officer is stupid, or a piece of the puzzle is missing here.

Why was the MSP doing inventory of the vehicles contents before he was even arrested? Shitty reporting maybe?

An inventory of the vehicle contents is always done prior to letting the tow company take the vehicle away. That's been a legal, warrantless search for as long as I can remember.

The inventory search is weird since the operator wasn't under arrest. Unless the car owner wasn't going with the tow driver and his car. Even then, it's kind of weird and I'm sure will come up in court.

My guess is that when the vehicle needs to be towed, they need to make sure nothing is lost in the transport. But unless a crime is committed, the officer should've asked permission to search, otherwise it's a 4A violation. Either the officer is stupid, or a piece of the puzzle is missing here.

The inventory search is weird since the operator wasn't under arrest. Unless the car owner wasn't going with the tow driver and his car. Even then, it's kind of weird and I'm sure will come up in court.

I seriously doubt the cop couldn’t smell that much weed. And I’m sure when he ran the plate as he arrived, the arrest record for this guy came up with a bunch of drugs arrests. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cop played good cop and said we can get it towed for you, is that ok? That gives the cop the legal right to inventory the car and nothing will be challenged and thrown out at trial because the moron agreed to the tow.

I forget what the exact rules for an inventory search are, but I thought it was when a vehicle was going to be brought to either the tow company lot or police station and out of the control of the operator.

Then again, this is a media report, so who knows what actually happened? I'm sure it will get sorted out in court and we'll probably never know what went on.

I seriously doubt the cop couldn’t smell that much weed. And I’m sure when he ran the plate as he arrived, the arrest record for this guy came up with a bunch of drugs arrests. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cop played good cop and said we can get it towed for you, is that ok? That gives the cop the legal right to inventory the car and nothing will be challenged and thrown out at trial because the moron agreed to the tow.

I forget what the exact rules for an inventory search are, but I thought it was when a vehicle was going to be brought to either the tow company lot or police station and out of the control of the operator.

Then again, this is a media report, so who knows what actually happened? I'm sure it will get sorted out in court and we'll probably never know what went on.

Don’t MSP have body cams now? Since the guy wasn’t smart enough to throw the drugs and gun in the woods immediately, I can see him volunteering for a search or not going with the car, etc. even if he has a record, he’s not getting more than a year, serving 1/2 that. With the exception of 1st degree murder and a few violent crimes, the court system is a revenue generator issuing fines and probation costs not jail terms.

Zappa would know but if this guy was broken down in the middle lane the Statie would tow it with their contractor regardless of what the guy wanted. I had an incident in work where the Statie had our truck towed by the contractor tow company to their yard instead of our guy to our yard which was only two blocks away.

Inventory is standard and does not need a warrant. If the items were in a locked container it likely would have required a warrant.

1647391120678-png.590782
Demerits awarded:
  1. MSP shoulder patch is some kind of electronic watermark, not genuine embroidery.
  2. Boolits not extracted from the mags and neatly lined up on the table.
  3. Wad of $20's just tossed on the table.
  4. C-notes not unfolded and splayed in a fan, Vegas-style.

Why was the MSP doing inventory of the vehicles contents before he was even arrested? Shitty reporting maybe?
[rofl2]
68wil4.jpg

Massachusetts State Police Policies and Procedures: Traffic

It is not often you find a full service drug dealer like this guy. He had everything a junkie could want.
68wpxr.jpg

An inventory of the vehicle contents is always done prior to letting the tow company take the vehicle away. That's been a legal, warrantless search for as long as I can remember.
Not if the car's in a safe place and you manage to get your guy to tow it.
And they can't impound or search a lawfully parked car on a hunch.
(Phrasing mine).

He must have shit himself when the car conked out.😄😄😄
Back in the day, that would have been Massprudent.
#ProTip

Now, in Massachusetts mere allegations of marijuana smell is no longer evidence of a crime.
But back in the day, it supplied reasonable suspicion for a search.

However if you crapped yourself when you were pulled over,
it gave defense counsel the chance to argue for the search being thrown out
on the theory that the cops couldn't have smelled pot over that stench.💩

No charge for possession of cash? Jack.
Civil forfeiture in 3...2...1...

I seriously doubt the cop couldn’t smell that much weed.
So?

serves him right for having that stupid grip on the gun
What stupid grip on the gun?
Oh, sorry; I didn't see it at first - it's camouflaged.

Inventory is standard and does not need a warrant. If the items were in a locked container it likely would have required a warrant.
Don't get to search locked containers, or the trunk if the key is "unavailable",
unless there is probable cause (not mere reasonable suspicion) that
"the locked container" (not "the locked container's contents" [shocked])
shall (not "may") put teh LEO or others in immediate risk of injury or loss of life.

Back
Top Bottom