• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trouble finding 7.62x54r

Yaa, I think I paid around 200 for the 880 crate a few years ago.. when I bought my 44 carbine... I just picked up a 440 caN in a package deal, I'll probably let it go... just need to figure out a fair price..
All the C&R sites had it for cheap money just like the guns. I have 2, I paid $99 for one and $79 for the other. There were a lot of really good C&R deals back then, I wish I had bought more Nagant revolvers. They were less than $100 now they go for close to 400 if you can find one

I spied a nagant revolver yesterday, going back tomorrow. IIRC the price wasn't bad, I will report back tomorrow if it's still there.

Not a can, but I see the paper wrapped bundles for $8-9/20 sporadically, I usually buy a bunch when I run into it. I've seen the usual Tulammo/Barnaul/Winchester around.

i paid 125$ea shipped for the last 2 cans i picked up for someone else. Then they proceeded to not pay me.
A year later they wanted me to sell them to him.... I told him 200 tin but not to you.
so im sitting on some 54r i will most likely never shoot but at this rate it will be worth 1$ round in another year or so...so i might un load it then for a slightly lower price.

i paid 125$ea shipped for the last 2 cans i picked up for someone else. Then they proceeded to not pay me.
A year later they wanted me to sell them to him.... I told him 200 tin but not to you.
so im sitting on some 54r i will most likely never shoot but at this rate it will be worth 1$ round in another year or so...so i might un load it then for a slightly lower price.

Good for you. ***holes who back out on deals deserve that.

Warming relations with Russia and Trump EOs canceling BOs EOs should mean prices return to normal. At least I hope, since I've never paid more than $80/can.

Warming relations with Russia and Trump EOs canceling BOs EOs should mean prices return to normal. At least I hope, since I've never paid more than $80/can.

Im not seeing anything trump does to help with ammo prices from russia.
Russian is not the only sorce for surplus 54r and with new production costing 58-62 cents p

I thought BOs EOs included import restrictions of surplus? That's what I attributed the extreme cost rise to...

I don't know of a broad ban on "surplus" ammo only the Russian imports and the Russian companies BO targeted?
Surplus 54r is all over the world...
Not to mention it's still used in war torn countries in the general area.

Anyone else having a hard time finding 7.62x54r for their Mosins? I have 1 full spam can but I can't seem to find more anywhere. I'm hesistant to continue shooting my Mosin if I'm not going to be able to replace what I use.

Where are you located? I’m in Salem and have a bunch you can have if you meet me around here.

Target Sports has TulAmmo, but they're asking $.50/rd.
that's not terrible. The last of the 54r spam cans I was seeing was $175 for 440 rounds or about .40 cents per rnd. I doubt we will see spam cans for much less again so might as well shoot non corrosive for just a tad more. Or start to reload?

The local Wal-Marts always seem to have the Tula 54R for about $12 a box. You might as well forget the old pricing and figure 54R will be on par with other .30 caliber ammo these days.
Like mentioned earlier, spend a few more dollars, buy the reasonably-priced Prvi ammo and build a supply of boxer-primed brass.
Start reloading, if you shoot this caliber often and in quantity. You needn't get an elaborate press, since a hand press can make decent ammo with little capital outlay. Save your dollars for dies, bullets, powder and primers and have fun at the range.
FWIW, I must have accumulated a few hundred 54R reloads and I don't even shoot this caliber. Can't seem to turn down brass when I find it reasonably-priced. Also, grab any of the Albanian brass, since these use the previously-available .217" diameter berdan primers (Murom KV-7,62N or LRB).

Attachments

• 54RTracer.jpg
    54RTracer.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • onebullet.jpg
    onebullet.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
There's a fella on another forum (SW CT) selling 3/10/51 Bulgarian in 300 round tins for (was $140 or $420) $130 each or $360 for all 900 rounds.
Can anyone here verify that this headstamp utilizes the .217" diameter berdan primers. Using a scale comparison on the pics in the 54Rnet website, sure seems to indicate use of the smaller primer (1952 and following appear to have the 6.47mm primers).
If you are interested, take me with you and I'll buy it legally in CT. You can purchase it from me in RI (I live a stone's throw from the border) as RI just requires being of legal age and not a felon.
We can browse through Hansen's in Southport while we're down that way.
Hansen & Hansen Arms & Antiquities - Call 203.259.5424

Attachments

• IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A shop near me (North Stonington, CT) has a tin plus of what I believe is Albanian ammo (brass cased and has the .217" diameter berdan primer). I didn't notice the headstamp nor the price, sorry. I know he'll ship.

Anyone else having a hard time finding 7.62x54r for their Mosins? I have 1 full spam can but I can't seem to find more anywhere. I'm hesistant to continue shooting my Mosin if I'm not going to be able to replace what I use.
Wally world in Raynham rte 138 always seems to have some.

That ammo (post 267) is 86/3 and 87/3. All brass-cased.
FWIW, I grabbed most of it, so don't expect to find much more at the shop.
Albanian 7.62x54r
If you come and pick it up, I'll throw in my private range to test fire any ammo purchased. Not shipping.
$7.50 per 20 rounds. $33 per 100 rounds.
I do not guarantee surplus ammo.
Don't expect to see these prices much longer...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom