• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trouble finding a holster for my S&W 649

cb1

sorry for yet another holster topic but I haven't been able to find any info on this. I've been trying to find an IWB holster for my S&W 649 bodyguard. Right now I have a simple uncle mike's but the revolver doesn't feel very secure.

Here is the problem:

my 649 has a 2 1/8 barrel and not the 2 inch found on most other smith j-frames. all the (new and fairly new) 649's I've seen have this length barrel. lots of holster manufacturers make holsters designed for smith j-frames with 2 inch barrels. I have called and e-mailed many different manufacturers that tell me their holsters will not fit my 649 with the slightly longer barrel (ex: comp-tac). these manufactures are telling me they "only make holsters for the 2 inch 649, not the 2 1/8".

Do I have a revolver without any IWB holsters? or are these customer service people simply reading off of a size chart that erroneously lists the 649 as having a 2 inch barrel?

the 1/8 may not seem like a lot, but with a molded kydex holster or something, it could prevent the gun from sitting properly.

I noticed UBG holsters shows "Smith & Wesson J frame 1 7/8" - 2 1/8" barrel" on their gunlist. http://www.ubgholsters.com/ I use their holsters to carry a 1911 and kahr mk9 and think very highly of them. Not sure how they are for revolvers though. Their turnaround time and customer service have been great by me. Might be worth checking out.

The Comp-Tac C-TAC holster for 2" Jframes has an open bottom. There is a small lip there but it is easily ground away with a Dremel. I did just that with a C-TAC for an M&P9c so that I could also carry a full size M&P in it.

Or you can call and ask them to leave the end free of obstructions because you have an unusual barrel length.

Mika's Holsters. Hand made by Robert Mika. He makes a nice IWB holster and can probably make one for you. All of his products are made to order, so he can should be able to accommodate your needs. He's become pretty popular and has a backlog right now, but has a notice on his website that he expects to be caught up by the end of the year. The holsters are not pretty, but they are well made, conceal very well, and he's a good guy to do business with.

Prices are also pretty reasonable.

He does make open bottom holsters, with or without thumb strap. He also makes pocket holsters.

sorry for yet another holster topic but I haven't been able to find any info on this. I've been trying to find an IWB holster for my S&W 649 bodyguard. Right now I have a simple uncle mike's but the revolver doesn't feel very secure.

Here is the problem:

my 649 has a 2 1/8 barrel and not the 2 inch found on most other smith j-frames. all the (new and fairly new) 649's I've seen have this length barrel. lots of holster manufacturers make holsters designed for smith j-frames with 2 inch barrels. I have called and e-mailed many different manufacturers that tell me their holsters will not fit my 649 with the slightly longer barrel (ex: comp-tac). these manufactures are telling me they "only make holsters for the 2 inch 649, not the 2 1/8".

Do I have a revolver without any IWB holsters? or are these customer service people simply reading off of a size chart that erroneously lists the 649 as having a 2 inch barrel?

the 1/8 may not seem like a lot, but with a molded kydex holster or something, it could prevent the gun from sitting properly.
I realize this thread is a little over 10 years old, but I have a Milt Sparks PMK Holster for my 649 and just bought my second holster (Versa Max) from Milt Sparks for my Model 649. The lead time on ordering is like 20 plus weeks. But, trust me, the quality is second to none! I have been a customer of theirs for nearly 25 years and have many of their holsters for my guns. The great thing is, they do not charge you until your holster is ready to ship and they take your order over the phone. They will let you customize with Shark, Elephant, etc. Milt Sparks Holsters

I realize this thread is a little over 10 years old, but I have a Milt Sparks PMK Holster for my 649 and just bought my second holster (Versa Max) from Milt Sparks for my Model 649. The lead time on ordering is like 20 plus weeks. But, trust me, the quality is second to none! I have been a customer of theirs for nearly 25 years and have many of their holsters for my guns. The great thing is, they do not charge you until your holster is ready to ship and they take your order over the phone. They will let you customize with Shark, Elephant, etc. Milt Sparks Holsters

Plus he hasn't posted anywhere on this forum in over three years. ;)

But yes, Milt Sparks makes excellent stuff. I had them custom make me a Summer Special II for the Sig P938 a few years ago. I've used the same model for a full size 1911 for over a decade and it's still a solid holster. It's been on my hip thousands of hours.

Back
Top Bottom