True Pre-Ban Lowers & Rifles (Colt Specific) + Bonus Questions!

hyemb350

NES Member
Hey folks. Don’t mean to beat a dead horse here but there’s something I’m curious about. I read every post on what’s considered a true “pre-ban lower” and “pre-ban rifle”, but I want to discuss Colt specifically.

Did Colt actually sell lowers only prior to 1994?

Also, let’s say the lower left the factory as a complete rifle with the necessary amount of “evil” features, was purchased by an individual who later separated the rifle and sold the lower (maybe happened a couple of more times) until I bought it as a complete rifle. Does anything that happened to it between it leaving the factory as a rifle and me buying it affect it?

I ask these with the intent of replacing the upper with a new one if I’m able to.

Bonus Questions:
Although stupid and defeats the purpose, but can one theoretically also pin & weld the muzzle device and pin the stock to be super duper extra safe or does that not matter?

What are you thoughts on refinishing a lower? Say it’s beat up or you want it to match a new upper.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Never heard of Colt selling just a "Lower".

I have seen multiple "pre ban" Colt Lowers for sale some may need attention.

A few years before the 1994 ban. Colt put in a Sear Block in the lower which if not removed requires the specific Colt BCG for it to close & function.
Again some had it, some did not. I believe it was just the "Sporter" series that have it. I have it on my Colt "Match H-Bar" I purchased 2 years before the 94 ban.

1679233400549.jpeg

Never heard of Colt selling just a "Lower".

I have seen multiple "pre ban" Colt Lowers for sale some may need attention.

A few years before the 1994 ban. Colt put in a Sear Block in the lower which if not removed requires the specific Colt BCG for it to close & function.
Again some had it, some did not. I believe it was just the "Sporter" series that have it. I have it on my Colt "Match H-Bar" I purchased 2 years before the 94 ban.

View attachment 733517
Thanks! Yeah I’ve never heard of Colt selling receivers only, especially prior to the ban but I could be missing something.

I looked at a couple last week, one had a sear block the other didn’t. I believe I read somewhere that they can be removed though.

The whole allure of buying a preban is so you can have a NORMAL rifle and not some neutered version that a bunch of moron politicians decided what constitutes a " assault weapon " That's why the premium on the lowers. To neuter a preban rifle is like wearing a condom after getting a vasectomy . It defies logic , common sense and offers NO extra level of protection. You're seriously overthinking this.

The whole allure of buying a preban is so you can have a NORMAL rifle and not some neutered version that a bunch of moron politicians decided what constitutes a " assault weapon " That's why the premium on the lowers. To neuter a preban rifle is like wearing a condom after getting a vasectomy . It defies logic , common sense and offers NO extra level of protection. You're seriously overthinking this.

Your condom theory is wrong ... Just saying

Also, let’s say the lower left the factory as a complete rifle with the necessary amount of “evil” features
Then it's preban. Nothing else you mention matters. It can never be an AW if it was appropriately configured before the ban.

Bonus Question: Although stupid and defeats the purpose, but can one also pin & weld the muzzle device and pin the stock to be super duper extra safe or does that not matter?
There is no "super duper extra safe." There is only legal or illegal. All previous guidance tells us that a preban rifle is legal.

If you buy a preban rifle, then make it compliant, the only thing you've done is waste time, money, and emotional energy.

Lol you’re right x 2. I’ve been reading way too much into it and overthinking.

Then it's preban. Nothing else you mention matters. It can never be an AW if it was appropriately configured before the ban.

There is no "super duper extra safe." There is only legal or illegal. All previous guidance tells us that a preban rifle is legal.

If you buy a preban rifle, then make it compliant, the only thing you've done is waste time, money, and emotional energy.
Perfect, thanks. Yes I agree, was just curious if there is an extra level of protection but I’m overthinking it.

Lol you’re right x 2. I’ve been reading way too much into it and overthinking.
When I bought my first preban lower I bought a Bushmaster. I read that it's was ok to have the normal features on the rifle if it was manufactured before 1994 AND shipped from the factory a completed rifle. I emailed Bushmaster , Who was still in Maine at the time and checked the serial numbers and they confirmed it was indeed " preban " and left the factory as a competed rifle. I asked them to send me a letter confirming this and they did. ( Thanks Mary ) Just buy a preban lower and be happy. Like DrGrant says if you own any firearms in this state you're taking a measured risk.

When I bought my first preban lower I bought a Bushmaster. I read that it's was ok to have the normal features on the rifle if it was manufactured before 1994 AND shipped from the factory a completed rifle. I emailed Bushmaster , Who was still in Maine at the time and checked the serial numbers and they confirmed it was indeed " preban " and left the factory as a competed rifle. I asked them to send me a letter confirming this and they did. ( Thanks Mary ) Just buy a preban lower and be happy. Like DrGrant says if you own any firearms in this state you're taking a measured risk.
Appreciate the info. Planning on calling Colt tomorrow to check a couple of serial #s I’m looking at. Hopefully they can send me something with information.

The question is not whether it shipped as a complete rifle. The question is whether it was in non-compliant configuration before the ban began.

The question is not whether it shipped as a complete rifle. The question is whether it was in non-compliant configuration before the ban began.
That’s another thing I’m slightly confused about. From what I understand it has to be a detachable magazine and at least 2 features. I imagine most of the rifles came with a pistol grip and a flash hider. Wouldn’t that be sufficient? Unless I’m not understanding correctly.

I believe Colt will simply tell you when the SN was created/logged in etc. I've called them before, but forget specifics.

If Johnny Law is scrutinizing trying to determine if your preban lower was built as a complete rifle once upon a time or not, you may already be in a world of hurt unrelated to the lower.

Also, keep in mind some pre-ban vendors never kept complete records, or were lost in fires, etc... so some things will never be known.

My advice, IANAL, buy a pre ban lower, build it our however and send it.

That’s another thing I’m slightly confused about. From what I understand it has to be a detachable magazine and at least 2 features. I imagine most of the rifles came with a pistol grip and a flash hider. Wouldn’t that be sufficient? Unless I’m not understanding correctly.
See comments from @dw617

I'm pretty sure your assumption is correct. I'm just bad at leaving imprecise comments alone.

I believe Colt will simply tell you when the SN was created/logged in etc. I've called them before, but forget specifics.

If Johnny Law is scrutinizing trying to determine if your preban lower was built as a complete rifle once upon a time or not, you may already be in a world of hurt unrelated to the lower.

Also, keep in mind some pre-ban vendors never kept complete records, or were lost in fires, etc... so some things will never be known.

My advice, IANAL, buy a pre ban lower, build it our however and send it.
Appreciate it. I think I’m overthinking it.

I'm still looking for a pre-ban lower :(

and as much as I would love to see a mint chainsaw lower, the reality is that thing has probably been in his ass just like all the produce he touches.
What’s the current value of preban lowers as opposed to complete rifles?

Pre Healey Mandate or Pre MA AWB? People ask premiums for "pre healy" but you just need an FFL who follows the law as written, and thus their Pre-Healey is just another used bare frame. Pre MA AWB? Depends on how much the person you are buying from likes you. When you buy a pre AWB, the premium is all in the lower, and depends on who you are buying from. A $2000 MSRP Daniel Defense Ar-15 with a 16" barrel might command a $1000 premium if it is on a pre-AWB lower. Or your buddy might sell you a stripped frame for $100.

It's literally this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz-PtEJEaqY&ab_channel=DanielJackson

Value is whatever the buyer pays.

The only market for a pre-ban is MA, no other states have carve outs.. Just be quicker on Arf and GB than MA dealers and you can get one for a more reasonable price, gotta beat the flippers :)

Now even sellers on ARF have gotten savvy to selling at Ma**h*** pricing.
Post covid thing in general. And Colts are collectable, so they appeal outside of MA.

During Trump/Pre-Covid eta I snatched a few great deals on some pre-ban stuff on ARF. I don't really shoot the collectable Colt rifles and the pre-ban receivers have never been built out, which brings up my next point.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? For most uses cases, a "post-ban" style rifle will check all of the boxes, especially if you're a casual/range blaster/just wanna have fun shooter. Grab a $100 lower at the mill while you still can, build it, send it. All of my shooter AR rifles are built on post ban receivers.

A couple of things.
-If it's a preban rifle/lower, you can do what you want.

-There are specific models and feature that were only present in preban Colts that you can visually tell that it is a preban model: Either it has a large front pivot pin or it has a sear block. The sear block will be pinned in with a hardened pin that will be visible from the right side of the receiver (or sometimes through to the left side).
If it is an SP1, AR-15A2, Sporter Lightweight/HBAR/Competion Match. It's almost certainly preban.
If the rifle does not have a sear block but does not have the auto sear shelf machined out it is likely post ban (but there are a few exceptions).
I'll post pictures later.

-As people have already said you do not need to pin and weld a muzzle device to be "extra careful" but I you may want to pin and weld if you build a 14.5 rifle and don't want to do NFA stuff. 14.5" is my fav barrel length.

-I've refinished (cerakoted) a bunch of preban lowers to match builds and always have the sear block machined off to accept any upper I want. Dont worry about "collectors" value unless it is an absolutely mint new in box rifle. Believe it or not there is a market for preban rifles outside of ban states now, but they only care about really nice examples.
Ulimately make the rifle yours and don't over think it.

Post covid thing in general. And Colts are collectable, so they appeal outside of MA.

During Trump/Pre-Covid eta I snatched a few great deals on some pre-ban stuff on ARF. I don't really shoot the collectable Colt rifles and the pre-ban receivers have never been built out, which brings up my next point.

OP, what are you trying to accomplish? For most uses cases, a "post-ban" style rifle will check all of the boxes, especially if you're a casual/range blaster/just wanna have fun shooter. Grab a $100 lower at the mill while you still can, build it, send it. All of my shooter AR rifles are built on post ban receivers.
Thanks. I’m trying to weigh my options. Mostly just want to be as safe as possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom