• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to upgrade a Ruger p89 trigger

I have a p89dc and love it. I have not seen any aftermarket triggers for them. All i have seen is pachmyer grips, which can be a bit bulky. Maybe a trigger job with abrasives and such?
I find it to be a very nice handlong and shooting pistol for the money.

Nope, the title says p89, the thread says p95, not 85.
(I won't get it till next week, so 89 decocker, dont know model number ((3062,etc))
i want the 95 trigger.

brownells, and numrich are out.

the truth doesn't hurt. I am still looking forward to getting it.
all I said was "thank you for your support". Perhaps you misunderstood.

the truth hurts.

anyway you didn't specify the model. thread title says P89, post says P85... there are several different models of each so yeah, can't help you.

check numrich for your exact model, get schematic, check stock of parts: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474.htm

You're not going to upgrade the trigger on that thing. Best you can do is get some reduced power wolff mainsprings and experiment, and be done with it. The ruger P series guns have shit triggers and thats just what they are. That said those guns are pretty reliable.

-Mike

Don't let the crowd display you on your Ruger P series pistol,they might be ugly and have the ergonomics of a brick but they are built like tanks and amazingly reliable. I have a P89 for range use and it just chugs along and feeds everything I fired through it.

Yes, I am thinking of a 19lb Wolff spring, but I still am interested in a p95 trigger.
If it works, I save a pound. If it doesn't, then I'm only out 20 bucks.

(I am used to revolvers, and I doubt that this 'brick' will disappoint.)

If your in foxboro area, bring it to 1776 gunsmithin in Walpole and see if Tim can Do some trigger work on it to make it better. Great people over there

I sold my Ruger P89DC earlier this year. As others have said, it's built like a tank and I thought it had a decent trigger for a $300 gun. Mine was very accurate and reliable. Also there are preban mags for these guns which is a plus. I only sold it because I needed the money for another gun purchase.

Thanks. I wanted a Colt defender, or sig 283 (I think). But, in stainless with the hoague grip, I don't think it's all that ugly. I just want to go shoot the damn thing, and get a pc9. this is for fun.

Sgeary, 1776 is the first place I would take it. I know those guys pretty well. I spoke with Don and I'm going to try to stone it myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew, thanks. I have already read it.

I carried a p94 as a reserve/auxiliary over 20 years ago...I trained extensively with it and shot MANY rounds through it...while many semi autos had issues during the revolver/ semi auto transition, mine ran like a TANK...bulky? yes-reliable? you bet your ass...i now own hk's, sigs, smiths etc etc etc....I'm currently looking for another p94...I regret selling it more and more every year....good luck sorting the trigger out on a fantastically reliable handgun.

Well I got a trigger in the mail today. Thanks, A.! Now to get the pistol tomorrow, shoot it, document, swap, and do it all again.

My hand gun experience has been with 357s. I made a few extra heavy shrouds, and they don't BUDGE, when FIRED. I am sure this semi will 'bark n jump' more than my Dans. But this will be my fourteenth "proceed" from d.c. Another 'niche' place in the collection (I guess it IS one at this point).

i am glad that this is about to work out. Thanks, everyone.

dan-ola-6.jpg

I have the utmost respect for the P Series. I had a P89DC over engineered, solid, reliable. If it had come out a few years earlier it would have my choice for the U.S. Service Pistol. I have small hands which is the only liability IMO. As far as triggers go, it is what it is. I'm not going to knock your choice. 30,000 rounds from now when your P89 is still happily chugging away and the polymer fanbois mit der uber expensive Teutonic wondernines or empees are on their third gun or second major rebuild, let's see who has the last laugh. [wink]

I have the utmost respect for the P Series. I had a P89DC over engineered, solid, reliable. If it had come out a few years earlier it would have my choice for the U.S. Service Pistol. I have small hands which is the only liability IMO. As far as triggers go, it is what it is. I'm not going to knock your choice. 30,000 rounds from now when your P89 is still happily chugging away and the polymer fanbois mit der uber expensive Teutonic wondernines or empees are on their third gun or second major rebuild, let's see who has the last laugh. [wink]

A pre-cohen sig, an HK, or a Glock will easily hold up to those guns no problem, and deliver a better user experience.

That said, when the value proposition is something like a Taurus or a HiPoint vs a P series, the P series mops the floor with that shit all day long... as ugly as it is, I'd take a P95DC over any of the other trash thats not far from its price point.... its leaps and bounds better than that trash.

-Mike

A pre-cohen sig, an HK, or a Glock will easily hold up to those guns no problem, and deliver a better user experience. That said, when the value proposition is something like a Taurus or a HiPoint vs a P series, the P series mops the floor with that shit all day long... as ugly as it is, I'd take a P95DC over any of the other trash thats not far from its price point.... its leaps and bounds better than that trash. -Mike

So you say. We all have our prejudices. To compare any Ruger to a HiPoint or a Taurus is jumping from the ridiculous to the ludicrous. Agreed not even in the same league. Given the relative unimportance of a military sidearm except for a few specialized applications the .mil could have gotten a lot more bang for the buck.

Not so sure about the other assertions. There was a gun shop in Colorado Springs that had a P91 (fortay) that was a major Ruger dealer. It was a test and evaluation weapon for the El Paso County Sheriff's Office (the county Colo Springs is in) 35,000 rounds no malfunctions of any kind. Signed affidavit by the armorer and range master. Granted one gun, anecdotal related second hand twenty years later on an Internet forum. Opinion but informed opinion. I've heard of Glocks going 30k but not seen it. With regard to older Sigs and HKs is this your opinion or informed opinion?

Last edited:
The P series are not a disappointment to those who know what they're getting. The biggest knock is the one the OP is trying to fix; the trigger. They're not fancy, they're heavy, blocky, bulky, and did I say heavy?

Sounds like the OP knows all of these things and accepts them. I'm curious to hear how the trigger improvement helps. My father has a P94, and I beat the shit out of that pistol for a couple of years with no problems at all.

The p95 trigger's arc sits just a little further back than the 89's.
the 95 trigger also has a small shelf at the front of it. If that can catch on the frame, and reduce take up by a 16th, in addition to the 1/8th from the arc being further back, I will be happy about reducing trigger travel by almost half an inch.

(And, yes, since the trigger travels almost all the way back to the frame before it fires, I know that I am cutting it close, here. But for 20 bucks, that's the least of my worries. Worst case scenario is that I learned more about this gun. I am hoping that a little judicious filing on the rear of the trigger will leave me with the tiniest bit of over travel, with no screws to ever back out.)

But I'm getting ahead of myself a little, I am going to take it to the range Saturday. The bore is shiny, so I am going to see what it can do.

I went shootin. The 89 was ringin the gong at 50 yards. Which was nice, I'm a new shooter. Sights were dead flat, dead straight. TulAmmo seemed to work pretty well, though I didn't shoot the whole hundred.

a pleasant surprise was the trigger reset. I was afraid that I was going to have to fully release it for the reset. Not necessary. Clean break, comfortable reset. shots were STABLE, too. Gun didn't move much - certainly nothing compared to a composite frame, like a Kahr 9, that wants to bark and jump.

so this is just what I wanted, a fun range gun. I think the trigger can even wait for now.

next time, I'm taking it with my carbine.

"Take only guns, leave only casings."

When the P series first came out Ruger wanted to see how sturdy it was,this was the P85,they took a barrel that had the chamber cut but the barrel was not bored out and placed in the pistol. It was then mounted in a rest and fired remotely. The only damage was the extractor an a small are around it was blown out but no other damage was done to the pistol.

P95dc was m first personal purchase, and I can never part with it. Parts though... Have became scarce for the p series. I picked up a lightly used 45acp brother to the p95 and have had the hardest time getting the right sized retaining clip for the recoil spring collar.

Two years ago, I remember every part being in stock for these. Now , not much is in stock anymore..

So, then, highlander, the neigh-Sayers on here are going to revel in the bullet not hitting its target? (Pthb!). :) ill tell ya, I have to drift the rear sight a mm, but just hugging tha front sight over to the right, and I was "banging that gong" almost better than Mtv!

fishy, we are in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom