Tula 9mm Steel Duds

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Bought some Tula steel 9mm because the $139/case seemed like a solid deal. No cycling issues in three pistols and one PCC, but I seem to get a lot of duds. They resemble light primer strikes, but the primers appear to all be hit hard enough that they should have fired. Is this common? I'm halfway through the case and I've had about 6 duds so far, three of which were in one box alone. I can deal with the dirty nature of these cheap steel rounds, and they seem to cycle find in my guns, but my concern are the duds for safety reasons. On the up shot, I've been getting more malfunction practice!

Any case, I realize cheap ammo is cheap ammo, but is this common for Tula steel?

Back a several years ago I bought a case of it and had no problems in my G34. Frankly I only bought it out of desperation as at the time brass cased 9mm ammo was hard to come by in any meaningful amounts, but it worked well enough for the application. I think I still might have 2-3 boxes left from that case.

-Mike

Back a several years ago I bought a case of it and had no problems in my G34. Frankly I only bought it out of desperation as at the time brass cased 9mm ammo was hard to come by in any meaningful amounts, but it worked well enough for the application. I think I still might have 2-3 boxes left from that case.

-Mike

Thought it was the pistol I was shooting at first, but after switching to others, I still had the issue. Something about a fully dented primer on a dud makes me nervous, but my range does have a steel dud box. Maybe the brand has gone down hill? Might be moot though, as I'm taking a hard look at the reloading process/tools.

Thought it was the pistol I was shooting at first, but after switching to others, I still had the issue. Something about a fully dented primer on a dud makes me nervous, but my range does have a steel dud box. Maybe the brand has gone down hill? Might be moot though, as I'm taking a hard look at the reloading process/tools.

You probably just got a bad lot. People have had problems with their AK ammo periodically like that, too. If you're lucky it won't be persistent through the whole case.

I wouldn't worry about "safety", a hang fire from a dud with modern ammunition is exceptionally rare. A lot of times I just set them aside and hit them again and see if they go off. If not into the dud bucket they go.

-Mike

I believe that a delayed fire in today's environment is going to be exceedingly rare, but there's no harm in holding off for a bit and keeping the barrel pointed downrange. After that, into the dud bucket they go.

save the box they came from and contact the company. They'll probably ask for some info from the box (lot numbers, etc) and then replace it. That's what most of them do.

Never had an issue with the steel case tula out of a canik Tp9sf or s &w m&p. Even if you have a couple duds and are just shooting to shoot the price savings is enormous

also try running them through again, a second solid strike should confirm if they are hard primers or duds.

Back
Top Bottom