• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey loads for shotgun

peterk123

NES Member
Been patterning my wife's 20 gauge for turkey and it got me thinking. Some of these turkey loads are stupidexpensive. What is the difference between a 5 shot 1 1/4 ounce turkey load going at 1250 fps and a regular 5 shot 1 1/4 ounce load going at 1250 ft fps (other than price)?

Been patterning my wife's 20 gauge for turkey and it got me thinking. Some of these turkey loads are stupidexpensive. What is the difference between a 5 shot 1 1/4 ounce turkey load going at 1250 fps and a regular 5 shot 1 1/4 ounce load going at 1250 ft fps (other than price)?
Maybe a wad but I don’t know. Some of the heavy shot and tungsten stuff is big money.
Regular shells have killed plenty of turkey.

See how they both pattern. The turkey specific stuff might pattern a bit tighter. See what your gun likes.
A good pattern is a dead gobbler.

FYI... My son and I both run 20G for Turkeys and only shoot tungsten.
It's worth the cost IMO. Both our guns pattern it really well but we're also both running turkey chokes made for tighter patterns.
It's almost twice as dense as lead and being able to run 7.5 you get almost twice the pellet count in the same size shell.

Sure it's pricey.... but we all spend big money on gear and then go el cheapo on ammo. I mean I shoot 1-2 birds a year.. it's not like pheasant hunting going through boxes of shells.

Maybe a wad but I don’t know. Some of the heavy shot and tungsten stuff is big money.

Damn right. And using a full choke rather than some ass blaster Xtra full bullshit. I use Remy green and yellow box "extended range" 1 1/4 ounce at 1330.

I do have some older 3 inch turkey loads and have used them on birds but I find the green and yellow box is just fine thru a full choke.

You should re read those boxes.....most turkey loads are way over 1 1/4 ounce payload. Also many turkey loads are copper plated pellets so they pattern a bit tighter.

That said.....any high brass 4 5 or 6 will kill a turkey on a head shot thru a full choke. You don't need to buy into the hype of 3.5 inch loads....ffs some of these new loads are 10 bucks a f***ing shell or more. That's f***ing retarded. Learn to call the bird into 30 to 40 yards like a hunter.....and hit him in the head with a high brass load.

You should re read those boxes.....most turkey loads are way over 1 1/4 ounce payload. Also many turkey loads are copper plated pellets so they pattern a bit tighter.

That said.....any high brass 4 5 or 6 will kill a turkey on a head shot thru a full choke. You don't need to buy into the hype of 3.5 inch loads....ffs some of these new loads are 10 bucks a f***ing shell or more. That's f***ing retarded. Learn to call the bird into 30 to 40 yards like a hunter.....and hit him in the head with a high brass load.
20240324_184115.jpg

When you factor in all the other costs, and your time....don't cheap out.

Pattern your gun, with different loads, and see what works best.

I'm as cheap as they get- when I open my wallet, George squints, because he's not used to the light - but were my season's success to come down to one pull of the trigger, I'd not cheap out.

When you factor in all the other costs, and your time....don't cheap out.

Pattern your gun, with different loads, and see what works best.

I'm as cheap as they get- when I open my wallet, George squints, because he's not used to the light - but were my season's success to come down to one pull of the trigger, I'd not cheap out.
The cost is not the issue. And we pattern all loads. I'm just curious if there is an actual difference if the shot is the same size, both copper plated in this case, same ounces of shot, and same fps. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

There’s a lot of factors that go into the cost of Turkey ammo. I’ve just taken a crazy dive into Turkey loads and loading my own.

From a basic standpoint, turkey ammo doesn’t sell at a volume like waterfowl, upland, or clays ammo. And there are big differences in hull, powder, wad, and shot. And that ups the cost.

Tungsten seems to be the way to go. And boy is it expensive! Anywhere from $38 to $52 a pound. As already mentioned, the stuff is incredibly dense and maintains, tight, lethal patterns. The magic size shot for turkeys seems to be 9s. Guys are taking 70-80 yd shots and just flopping birds. The amount of pellets in a 2oz payload of 9s in a 3” 12ga is staggering.

Here's a basic chart showing the approx pellet counts per ounce of shot of various materials and sizes. This is using standard shot sizes.

This isn’t my chart. Something I found in a Shotshell reloading group.

#2: 3.81 mm (0.15")
#4: 3.30 mm (0.13")
#5: 3.05 mm (0.12")
#6: 2.79 mm (0.11")
#7: 2.60 mm (0.103")
#7.5: 2.41 mm (0.095")
#8: 2.29 mm (0.090")
#8.5: 2.16 mm (0.085")
#9: 2.03 mm (0.080")

Lead Shot

Lead #2: 89/oz
Lead #4: 136/oz
Lead #5: 173/oz
Lead #6: 222/oz
Lead #7: 295/oz

12g/cc Shot (Hevi-Shot, Hevi-13, Win XRHD, Rem HD)

12g/cc #2: 81/oz
12g/cc #4: 125/oz
12g/cc #5: 159/oz
12g/cc #6: 209/oz
12g/cc #7: 278/oz

13g/cc Shot (ITX Extreme Turkey Trauma-13, Nitros Megaweight)

13g/cc #2: 75/oz
13g/cc #4: 115/oz
13g/cc #5: 147/oz
13g/cc #6: 193/oz
13g/cc #7: 256/oz
13g/cc #7.5: 304/oz
13g/cc #8: 352/oz

15g/cc Shot (Federal Heavyweight, Tungsten Spheres)

15g/cc #2: 65/oz
15g/cc #4: 100/oz
15g/cc #5: 127/oz
15g/cc #6: 165/oz
15g/cc #7: 219/oz
15g/cc #7.5: 260/oz
15g/cc #8: 301/oz

18g/cc Shot (TSS)

TSS #2: 54/oz
TSS #4: 83/oz
TSS #5: 106/oz
TSS #6: 139/oz
TSS #7: 185/oz
TSS #7.5: 219/oz
TSS #8: 254/oz
TSS #8.5: 308/oz
TSS #9: 362/oz

Last edited:
There’s a lot of factors that go into the cost of Turkey ammo. I’ve just taken a crazy dive into Turkey loads and loading my own.

From a basic standpoint, turkey ammo doesn’t sell at a volume like waterfowl, upland, or clays ammo. And there are big differences in hull, powder, wad, and shot. And that ups the cost.

Tungsten seems to be the way to go. And boy is it expensive! Anywhere from $38 to $52 a pound. As already mentioned, the stuff is incredibly dense and maintains, tight, lethal patterns. The magic size shot for turkeys seems to be 9s. Guys are taking 70-80 yd shots and just flopping birds. The amount of pellets in a 2oz payload of 9s in a 3” 12ga is staggering.

Here's a basic chart showing the approx pellet counts per ounce of shot of various materials and sizes. This is using standard shot sizes.

Lead Shot

18g/cc Shot (TSS)

You forgot the price chart.

Upwards of $70 for 5 shells for some of these loads. I'm not knocking you guys really.....but Jesus christ on crutches $14 a shell? My style of hunting is just different than some folks I guess. I do it to soend time in the woods and learn. Yes I've had Tom's hang up at 70 yards where these "wonder loads" and an ass squeezing tight choke may have allowed me to bag one. But....me personally.....I'd rather pass on them and try to figure out why I can't get em to close into 40 yards where my 50 cent high brass shell and full choke old a5 can do the job.

I've killed quite a few with that old gun and high brass shells. That's good for me......$14 a shell? f*** Dat.

To put this all in perspective......I can buy a 20 pound turkey at market basket for $13.80.......69 cents a pound on sale this time of year.

$14 a shell? 😂

Last edited:

Lead Shot

18g/cc Shot (TSS)

From what I’m reading on those charts, standard lead has the highest pellet count per ounce. Yes, tungsten 9’s have a lot of pellets, but a single #9 won’t do shit compared to a single #5.

I’m on Cape Cod. Spring turkey season is typically nice weather. I’ll not chancing 70+ yard shots at that time of year. I’ll (hopefully) work the birds in to 40 or so. At that range 5’s through a full or extra full are more than adequate.

Upwards of $70 for 5 shells for some of these loads. I'm not knocking you guys really.....but Jesus christ on crutches $14 a shell? My style of hunting is just different than some folks I guess. I do it to soend time in the woods and learn. Yes I've had Tom's hang up at 70 yards where these "wonder loads" and an ass squeezing tight choke may have allowed me to bag one. But....me personally.....I'd rather pass on them and try to figure out why I can't get em to close into 40 yards where my 50 cent high brass shell and full choke old a5 can do the job.

I've killed quite a few with that old gun and high brass shells. That's good for me......$14 a shell? f*** Dat.

To put this all in perspective......I can buy a 20 pound turkey at market basket for $13.80.......69 cents a pound on sale this time of year.

$14 a shell? 😂
I should have just read your post and agreed rather than typing mine!

From what I’m reading on those charts, standard lead has the highest pellet count per ounce. Yes, tungsten 9’s have a lot of pellets, but a single #9 won’t do shit compared to a single #5.

That's where you are wrong. A single smaller sized Tungsten pellet carries more energy than a much larger sized lead pellet.

As for comparing 18g/cc tungsten pellets vs lead (11g/cc), a Super-18 pellet will have about the same penetration energy as a lead pellet 5 sizes larger. So, a Super-18 #9 pellet will penetrate into soft matter at approximately the same depth as a Lead #4 pellet.

Is the big cost of these shells worth it? This article says yes.....but it's because he's traveling to hunt and already investing big time and money into travel to hunt turkey and it improves his chances of bagging a bird. Ok.....I'll agree in those circumstances the 14 bucks a shell may pay off.

But.....for a local turkey hunter like myself that can get out there 2 or 3 times a week driving 15 to 20 minutes with a thermos of coffee.....totally not worth it.

$14 a shell? 😂
If I priced out a single, striped bass I kept for table fare...

If I priced out a single, striped bass I kept for table fare...
Like I said. I hunt differently than some. I've been using the same gear and wearing the same hunting clothes....carhhart coveralls and arbortech sweatshirt for about 15 years. Same shotgun.....same muzzle loader......my cost is really nothing more than the license.....shells and powder and projos.....that I bought cheep 10 years ago.

The only hunting I do that Costs me is snow shoe hare I pay a guide for that and travel but I don't even call that a hunting trip it's a vacation.

I hunt local for deer.....sit on the ground maybe in my old.pop up blind of its gonn a be cold......the cost to fill my freezer with venison is probably less than the cost of beef at the store.

Like I said. I hunt differently than some. I've been using the same gear and wearing the same hunting clothes....carhhart coveralls and arbortech sweatshirt for about 15 years. Same shotgun.....same muzzle loader......my cost is really nothing more than the license.....shells and powder and projos.....that I bought cheep 10 years ago.

The only hunting I do that Costs me is snow shoe hare I pay a guide for that and travel but I don't even call that a hunting trip it's a vacation.
I tell my CFO when I'm shopping for gear, "But it'll last me a LIFETIME!"

The cost is not the issue. And we pattern all loads. I'm just curious if there is an actual difference if the shot is the same size, both copper plated in this case, same ounces of shot, and same fps. Doesn't pass the sniff test.
My point was not the cost, per se, but taking the time to make sure that your shottie "likes" a given load.

It may be the same on the spec sheet, but there are subtle differences that may make a difference in performance.

Most of my shooting is Trap - I'm not good enough for brand of ammo (or shottie) to make a perceptible difference, but the top-level shooters have found the "ideal" combo.

If I miss a bird, my score has not changed significantly; the shooter in the running, or a hunter with a turkey lined up has a bigger investment.

Winchester AA ammo sells for ~2x the price of ammo that has, nominally, the same shot charge and velocity. I shoot the cheap stuff. [laugh]

My point was not the cost, per se, but taking the time to make sure that your shottie "likes" a given load.

It may be the same on the spec sheet, but there are subtle differences that may make a difference in performance.

Most of my shooting is Trap - I'm not good enough for brand of ammo (or shottie) to make a perceptible difference, but the top-level shooters have found the "ideal" combo.

If I miss a bird, my score has not changed significantly; the shooter in the running, or a hunter with a turkey lined up has a bigger investment.

Winchester AA ammo sells for ~2x the price of ammo that has, nominally, the same shot charge and velocity. I shoot the cheap stuff. [laugh]
Misterhappy you just opened Banderas box. Different loads used for trap.....that is the biggest excuse lots of trapazoids use for their misses 😂

How many times have you heard a guy come off the line, shake his head and say....."I'm not using my xxx shells today". 😂

Misterhappy you just opened Banderas box. Different loads used for trap.....that is the biggest excuse lots of trapazoids use for their misses 😂

How many times have you heard a guy come off the line, shake his head and say....."I'm not using my xxx shells today". 😂
Actually, never.

Because I'm too busy explaining how the wind worked against me. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom