• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TURKEY SHOOTS

The Fairview Sportsmans Club is holding turkey shoots every Sunday until the end of April. The ammo is included with your entry in each round. Sign up is 8 AM shooting starts at 9AM. You can find our address and directions on our web site. The club is on Carver St in Granby Ma.

bob

Last edited:
Dunno why, but this is what I picture when I hear about a "Turkey Shoot".

CHICKENGUN.jpeg

Yeah what's a turkey shoot

There are a bunch of different ways to run the event. Heck, some organizations run BINGO and other non-shooting activities and still call it a "shoot".

Ultimately, it comes to a game where in each round you pay for, one participant will win a turkey. The better games eliminate skill as a factor by developing scoring methods that rely on random factors, not marksmanship.

Lobsta' shoots, meat shoots, and other variations exist as well.

In the end, it's a whole lot of fun for short money. And usually, you don't need to bring anything to participate as loaner equipment is common.

Doesn't change the fact that I still picture large caliber barrels propelling foul projectiles into minute of henpeck targets.

Cpfg runs theirs with multiple events. Big bore bullseye. String break at 100 yards. 22 rifle plate shoot. Centerpiece pistol plate shoot. Muzzle loader bullseye. Cowboy action.

All events have loaner guns and ammo available or bring your own. There is skill involved. Prizes for top scores at each event is a 25 dollar gift card to market basket. I won two events and donated the cards to a food pantry.

Good clean fun.

OP:

You may get better response if you post details about the course of fire, etc.

Re:

There are a bunch of different ways to run the event. Heck, some organizations run BINGO and other non-shooting activities and still call it a "shoot".

At one of our Trap turkey shoots at our gun club, we had a visitor that was p!ssed that we were shooting at targets, not playing cards for a turkey shoot. [rofl]

A group of people sign up and all shoot at targets from the same distance with provided ammo. Whoever is closest to the middle of their target with the shotgun pellets, usually, wins that round. And in this case the prize is a turkey.

at most turkey shoots a turkey is the prize BUT here we vary the prizes. the prizes run from steaks hams chicken beef roasts pork chops and roasts etc etc. last year i filled an entire freezer and gave some meat to my kids also. COME UP and check us out

bob

Last edited:
OP:

You may get better response if you post details about the course of fire, etc.

Re:

At one of our Trap turkey shoots at our gun club, we had a visitor that was p!ssed that we were shooting at targets, not playing cards for a turkey shoot. [rofl]
we shoot at paper targets at a range of between 15 and 20 yards. the target closet to the center is the winner. we keep it simple and FUN. the targets are the size of a sheep of paper....8x11

bob

Back
Top Bottom