Twice as Many Americans Carryings Guns in Public Compared to 2015

MAJoe

NES Member
New study results as of 2019 (pre-Bruen; numbers expected to continue to increase) show 6mil Americans carry a handgun daily. This is up from the 3mil reported in the prior 2015 survey.

Well duh!!

These morons allow all sorts of dirt balls to freely roam about while tying the hands of LE, refuse to charge them with the crimes they commit with no worries of doing anything more than slapping their wrists.

Of course I will protect myself and wife from injury the best I can.

Nine million daily CCW is still pretty slim - 2.7%. At least once monthly at 4.8%. There’s a large space between daily and monthly that may bump the norm up. More carry in the South, 80% male and 75% white. As always, the average is less meaningful than the local statistics, especially with CCW varying so markedly by state/region.

It’s no wonder that rare mass shootings are intervened by rare CCW holders with a gun on them. But CCW is about personal self-defense, not community defense.

The same Harvard authors find that only ~1/3 to ~2/3 of gun owners know that their state has universal background checks, stolen/lost gun reporting requirements, child access prevention laws or Red Flag (ERPO) laws. You buy a few guns from FFLs, you see only the 4473 and get the paperwork required by state/local laws - you don’t have to read them. It’s not like those “Speed Limit 30mph unless otherwise posted” signs - your city/state passes new laws and you might have no idea until you go to an FFL or get caught breaking a law.

So, of that 6-19 million carry guns, 2-13 million may have no idea what laws they might be breaking - concealed is concealed, until it’s not…

The same Harvard authors find that only ~1/3 to ~2/3 of gun owners know that their state has universal background checks, stolen/lost gun reporting requirements, child access prevention laws or Red Flag (ERPO) laws. You buy a few guns from FFLs, you see only the 4473 and get the paperwork required by state/local laws - you don’t have to read them. It’s not like those “Speed Limit 30mph unless otherwise posted” signs - your city/state passes new laws and you might have no idea until you go to an FFL or get caught breaking a law.

So, of that 6-19 million carry guns, 2-13 million may have no idea what laws they might be breaking - concealed is concealed, until it’s not…

Another interesting data point. The problem is likely exacerbated too by the poor/incorrect advice given by gun shops. The things I’ve heard first hand (said to me or others shopping) in MA is concerning. Some things overly conservative, but not illegal (“it’s illegal to store a firearm loaded”), and some things common misconceptions but actually illegal (“just throw a trigger lock on it and drive home”).

While I don’t think MA state legislature seeks to make gun laws confusing, they don’t have a solid grasp on the full impact due to lack of knowledge and the confusion ends up being an unintended “positive” result which seizes guns. Doesn’t matter if it’s applied to a career criminal or grandpa who’s never broken a law in his life, one less gun owner is one less. That’s the end goal; less gun owners and less guns regardless of who it is.

Federally too, I’d bet many gun owners don’t know a post office is a no go place to carry. Other federal buildings are easier (like court houses, it’s enforced).

Federally too, I’d bet many gun owners don’t know a post office is a no go place to carry. Other federal buildings are easier (like court houses, it’s enforced).
Or that the federal courts ruled that "incidental to lawful purposes" does not include the lawful purpose of licensed or constitutional carry.

Those numbers are from 2019, pre-pandemic and riots/lootings/mayhem, and no bail of 2020.
I bet the figures are much, much higher now.....

Back
Top Bottom