two die rifle sets

peterk123

NES Member
Can you guys educate me on two die sets? My rifle reloading is currently limited to 308 and 45/70, both three die. I can't picture how a two set deprimes, sizes, flares and seats a die in just two steps. Thanks Pete

P.S. My son in law just got a 30-06 and I want to set him to reload for it, assuming we will be able to ever get components. You guys have a favorite powder for that cartridge? I have some IMR4895 left, probably enough for three rounds :(

Your sizing die will deprime and size than the seating die will seat and crimp. Depending on what type of gun your shooting wether you need to crimp or not.

Only straight wall rifle cartridges like 30 carbine, 45-70, etc will have a flare die. The 3rd die in your 308 set is probably a crimp die.

Theres a absolute stunning amount of bullet/powder combos for 30-06
Depends what your doing. Bolt action is HUGE selection , gas guns are a bit more specific. You really cant go wrong with H4895 for 30-06
Lots of bottle neck cartridges are 2 die sets , for the most part tou wont need to flare the neck, unless you use cast bullets or some flat based bullets that have a sharp edge to them.

Just throwing it out there, if you do need a bell for whatever reason, you can use a universal expanding die. I have a Lee one kicking around. There inexpensive, about $15.00 plus or minus. They can bell from 22 to 45 caliber.

Theres the powder through expander die also if your looking to save space on your tool head

Back
Top Bottom