Two hanguns, one purchase - what's the deal?

I've bought two handguns from the same FFL at the same time before, no problems.

My FFL friend recently told me that he has to file something special with the BATFE every time someone buys two handguns, or if the same buys two within the same week on separate purchases, despite having cleared the two NICS checks. Apparently if someone buys a single handgun from him, then goes to another shop across town, they simply have the two NICS checks but nothing further. He doesn't really know why - he just does it.

Not that I'm too paranoid, but I wonder - what is the purpose of this? Is there some master-list? What's it used for? Any FFLs or educated folks have any insights?

I don't really care, I live in MA now - complaining is like pissing in the wind here, and the feds haven't done much lately compared to what Healey has. If there's some great conspiracy, I've bought enough firearm accessories online to have my picture on a wall at BATFE headquarters, and probably a map with a bunch of pins and yarn. I've also purchased multiple rifles and handguns on several occasions without a knock on my door.

I'm not surprised there's a form of this type, I'm just a little confused as to why someone can go to every shop in town and buy a pistol without extra scrutiny, but one-stop-shoppers have to be reported. You'd think if some loon wanted to do something REALLY bad, there'd probably be a bit of planning, enough say to find out about this report (and whatever actions occur after the report is made) and just go to a couple stores and buy a couple handguns. That, and the hypothetical lunatic is still passing an NICS either way.

I'm not surprised there's a form of this type, I'm just a little confused as to why someone can go to every shop in town and buy a pistol without extra scrutiny, but one-stop-shoppers have to be reported. You'd think if some loon wanted to do something REALLY bad, there'd probably be a bit of planning, enough say to find out about this report (and whatever actions occur after the report is made) and just go to a couple stores and buy a couple handguns. That, and the hypothetical lunatic is still passing an NICS either way.

The MHP form is just a ham-fisted attempt by the feds to stop illegal handgun trafficking. Basically if you go to an FFL and buy 10 lorcins (or some other cheap shitty gangbanger type handgun here) at once you will have feds showing up at your house pretty soon. That's what the form is for.

As a side note I've probably had a longer MHP form filed on me than probably 95% of this forum, although I suspect other exigent/inheritance type transfers have happened to several other people around here, too. I had like 18+ handguns transferred at once because of a friend with a legal problem. Needless to say the FFL attached a descriptive letter to the forms to explain the nature of the transfer. Never got a visit from the feds or anything.

-Mike

The MHP form is just a ham-fisted attempt by the feds to stop illegal handgun trafficking. Basically if you go to an FFL and buy 10 lorcins (or some other cheap shitty gangbanger type handgun here) at once you will have feds showing up at your house pretty soon. That's what the form is for.

I can get that, for sure.

With that said, I'd love to start a movement in the firearms community. A bit of an "anti ring of fire" type deal, since the loony left is so obsessed with racism and classism, where instead of "gangbanger guns" we call them "economically disadvantaged defense opportunities" and basically call out the Dims as a bunch of bigots for depriving the communities they claim to want to protect of an affordable option to protect themselves.

First response. Had to take the opportunity... :)

I don't really care, I live in MA now - complaining is like pissing in the wind here, and the feds haven't done much lately compared to what Healey has. If there's some great conspiracy, I've bought enough firearm accessories online to have my picture on a wall at BATFE headquarters, and probably a map with a bunch of pins and yarn. I've also purchased multiple rifles and handguns on several occasions without a knock on my door.

Back
Top Bottom