• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two stage service rifle triggers - how do you guys set them up?

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently upgraded to a Geissele adjustable 2 stage service rifle trigger. I followed the instructions to the letter and have it adjusted for a 4 lb first stage and just barely under a 1 lb second stage. (About 14 or 15 oz measured with a Lyman digital trigger pull scale.) After shooting a match with it this weekend I think the second stage may be a tad too light.

So - I'm sure everyone has their own preference but how do others set up their triggers? Lighter first / heavier second?

FWIW, the reason that I upgraded was because I had a Geissele SSA (non-adjustable "cheap" version) and I felt that the second stage was too heavy. I think it was just over 2 lbs if I recall.

Sounds like you have it setup the way I would. You might just want more time with her.

Do you feel the 1st to 2nd stage transition (a nice solid stop)?

BTW what did you do with the Geissele SSA? I've been looking at that for my carbine............ [wink]

i still think you've got just a tad too little sear engagement Jason. try an 1/8th of a turn more. the weight felt right on, there just wasnt that solid positive stop between the 1st and 2nd stages. it might be a TAD light (only way to check is with a trigger weight, and no, not the electronic kind), but thats easy enough to adjust.

BTW what did you do with the Geissele SSA? I've been looking at that for my carbine............ [wink]

I put it in my zombie killer M4gery for now, but it will probably end up in my backup / loaner service rifle whenever I get around to building it.

As for the sear engagement, I backed it off it until if felt "notchy," tightened it up until the "notchyness" went away, then added an additional 1/8 of a turn. I'll go through and do the procedure again now that it's been broken in a bit. It was starting to feel a bit notchy again by the end of the match on Sat.

Thanks guys...

Back
Top Bottom