• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Typical Crapachusetts article in the Boston Globe

Studies show that a gun in the home increases the risk of suicide for everyone living in the household: the gun owner, the gun owner’s spouse, and the gun owner’s children.

Antis love throwing this "fact" around, as if guns somehow convince and encourage people to kill themselves.[rolleyes]

Here is a chance for Massachusetts to go in the other direction [away from "gun gag" laws], and make the safety of children and adolescents a public safety priority.

OK, let's open up another gun bill.

Let's see.... I'll give you physician counseling, you give me shall issue, interstate reciprocity and suppressors.

Let's see just how much you care about those children.

Being admitted to a hospital is associated w higher mortality than the standard population, so by the ANTI's logic we should shut down hospitals to prevent mortality and thus "save lives".

Being admitted to a hospital is associated w higher mortality than the standard population, so by the ANTI's logic we should shut down hospitals to prevent mortality and thus "save lives".

Having children in the house increases the odds of a child committing suicide in the house exponentially.

Having a spouse in the house increases the odds of that spouse attempting suicide by poisoning by 75%, while having no spouse in the house decreases the odds of a completed suicide by the spouse by firearm by 90%.

The safest place for a spouse is out of the house.

In fact if you are not in the home your chances of dying by suicide in the home are statistically indistinguishable from 0.

71% of people who die have seen or been seen by a physician in the 24 hours prior to their death. What does that tell you?

it tells me that 71% of dead people have been murdered by their doctor! Obliviously. Tragic. Please stop the killings.

It recommends doctors provide counseling to their patients on guns in the home. Um....I don't go to my doctor for counseling.......I go he can fix what hurts.

Once again, a misguided and arbitrary focus on one type of instrument that can be misused to result in an accident. What about counseling for knives, poisons, medicines, electrical sockets, shade and blind cords, power tools, swimming pools, etc, etc, etc. Guns are a tiny problem in the house compared to all of these other instruments that can result in harm to a child.

Not all suicides are irrational, or tragedies. I would find it hard to judge someone harshly who decided to kill themselves when in the very late stages of a terminal illness (for example, I know of one elderly person who shot himself due to Stage IV lung cancer or brain tumor). Of course, if said person was a lifelong NESer, it would be his/her responsibility not to use a gun and, if that person was a die hard statist, to travel to a state where such action is legal before doing so.

So with 50% of suicides being by firearm and 25% being by strangulation / hanging, it's safe to assume that the powers that be are putting half as much effort into rope control as they are into gun control? AMIRIGHT?

And of course, the article never mentioned that 25% because deaths that aren't relevant to the cause don't matter.

I talked to my wife about this and she said "we need to get rid of parking cars in the garage, and no more pills in the house or knifes or rope or extension cords etc.." That the antis will use any excuse and twist it to their ****ed up agenda

I love the comments comparing gun crime in the US to those of England, its only an overcrowded island nation 2/3 the size of California with a population 1/5 that of the US. Total overlap [thinking]

Last edited:
The chances of one member of a household killing another with a kitchen knife is probably over 100 times greater than using it to defend against a stranger invading their home. The evil kitchen knife lobby has got to be stopped!!

The suicide rate in Greenland is 24 times that of the United States per capita. The number one method is by rope. I therefore conclude that Greenland owns 24 times more rope than the US. Something must be done.

The suicide rate in Greenland is 24 times that of the United States per capita. The number one method is by rope. I therefore conclude that Greenland owns 24 times more rope than the US. Something must be done.

Is that regular rope or assault rope with evil features that should be banned?

Does the gun really up the odds for a suicide or do people who want to commit suicide get a gun to do it? I dont thing my odds increase to commit suicide because of anything. I dont want or desire to die. No item in my house would make me want to kill myself. That is like saying people with candy in the house are more likely to be fat or have fat kids.

Not all suicides are irrational, or tragedies. I would find it hard to judge someone harshly who decided to kill themselves when in the very late stages of a terminal illness (for example, I know of one elderly person who shot himself due to Stage IV lung cancer or brain tumor). Of course, if said person was a lifelong NESer, it would be his/her responsibility not to use a gun and, if that person was a die hard statist, to travel to a state where such action is legal before doing so.

Exactly.

My father took his life with a shotgun, he was terminally ill and didn't want to deal with a slow painful death. So it angers me when the gun grabbers conflate this, try to blame guns for suicide, then call it "gun violence".

I have never considered his actions violent, or blamed the gun.

Exactly.

My father took his life with a shotgun, he was terminally ill and didn't want to deal with a slow painful death. So it angers me when the gun grabbers conflate this, try to blame guns for suicide, then call it "gun violence".

I have never considered his actions violent, or blamed the gun.

Sorry to hear that. Even if he was at peace about it, that can't be easy on the family.

Typically people that use a gun or jump from heights to commit suicide are very sure about their choice and have no intentions of failing.

Many failed suicides are actually cries for help. Typically those people won't use a gun or any other sure fire methods.

The mindset of more guns equals more suicides stems from the same people who think more guns turns common people into murderers.

I would like to think that I haven't been murdered by my family because of their morals and love rather than them being a ticking time bomb waiting for an easy means to end me. If I thought otherwise, that would be no way to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the gun really up the odds for a suicide or do people who want to commit suicide get a gun to do it? I dont thing my odds increase to commit suicide because of anything. I dont want or desire to die. No item in my house would make me want to kill myself. That is like saying people with candy in the house are more likely to be fat or have fat kids.

Exactly right, however, guns are a low hanging fruit because statistically they are almost 100% effective when employed in a suicidal act, whereas other methods such as overdosing, cutting of wrists, etc. have a much higher probability of failure if the person is found in time. Basically, it is an easy target for the anti crowd.

Back
Top Bottom