• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U notch pre ban Glock mag issue

Hey guys, quick question. I have a u notch pre ban Glock mag and a gen 4 19. Everything seems to be perfectly normal with it. Magazine is in immaculate condition slides in pretty well, cycles rounds, but the only issue I'm having is I can't get the mag to lock in place in the mag well when loaded with 15 rounds, 14 and down works fine...I
read an old post on here about changing to 9mm3 followers, but I wasn't sure if that would help my problem. Any ideas?

Also would guys trust concealed carrying with an older U notch mag? The 5 extra rounds is great but I'm nervous about reliability issues.

Guy walks into a doctors office and says "Hey Doc, I have shooting pain in my arm when I do this, what should I do?"
The man waves his hand in the air.
The doctor says, "Don't do that"

If it works with 14, cool. That's better than 10 rounds. It's worth trying a different follower I think they are about $3.5 at the glock store.
Or you could just down load your mag by one and call it a day.
In matches, I will often download glock mags one or two bullets if I know that I have reload just so I know that it will seat easily and feed reliably. With USGI 30 round mags I generally don't load more than 28.

Hey guys, quick question. I have a u notch pre ban Glock mag and a gen 4 19. Everything seems to be perfectly normal with it. Magazine is in immaculate condition slides in pretty well, cycles rounds, but the only issue I'm having is I can't get the mag to lock in place in the mag well when loaded with 15 rounds, 14 and down works fine...I
read an old post on here about changing to 9mm3 followers, but I wasn't sure if that would help my problem. Any ideas?

Also would guys trust concealed carrying with an older U notch mag? The 5 extra rounds is great but I'm nervous about reliability issues.

Are you saying you can do 14+1, but not 15+1?

Guy walks into a doctors office and says "Hey Doc, I have shooting pain in my arm when I do this, what should I do?"
The man waves his hand in the air.
The doctor says, "Don't do that"

If it works with 14, cool. That's better than 10 rounds. It's worth trying a different follower I think they are about $3.5 at the glock store.
Or you could just down load your mag by one and call it a day.
In matches, I will often download glock mags one or two bullets if I know that I have reload just so I know that it will seat easily and feed reliably. With USGI 30 round mags I generally don't load more than 28.

My 33 round Factory Glock mags fully loaded won't seat correctly. 32 rounds is fine.
Solution - load 32 rounds.
I actually ran one of these mags yesterday in my 9mm AR.

The old pre-ban U notch mags are just shorter with the distance from mag catch to baseplate. That's all. If you slot in a modern Glock mag, you'll notice a MM pr two of mag body showing at the gap between the magwell and the baseplate. U notch are so short that, at best, you'll have no space. Some guns won't work at all like a G19 grip Sub2000. The mag just can't feed in enough to make the mag catch work before the base plate hits the grip magwell.

On my P80, I noticed I also have this issue, but we're talking about a fraction of a mm off. So if I really slap the mag home, it finally locks into place. If I just regularly push it in, it won't catch enough. It seems to partially catch, but you can feel the mag release isn't fully seated, and that causes feeding reliability issues.

Solutions: 1) Only use for range or 2) shave mag well down [I personally wouldn't do this one].

That's what I did with my u-notch mags - replaced the follower with the 9mm3 or whatever it's called. No problems in Gen4 after that, but then I sold all u-notches.

Back
Top Bottom