U.S. Marines Teach Japanese Forces How to Fight From the Sea

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
150203-M-BL930-509.jpg

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. – Over the next five weeks, a small force of Japanese soldiers is getting down and dirty with U.S. Marines, learning from them what it means to fight from the sea.

Japan’s eye is on the calendar. In two years, it expects to stand up the Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade, its first amphibious unit, and it needs a credible force to bolster its national defense capabilities.

About 300 soldiers from Japan’s Western Army Infantry Regiment arrived at Camp Pendleton last week for the annual training exercise— Iron Fist 2016. They are training alongside 500 Marines, mostly members of the Camp Pendleton-based 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, in scenarios that will take them from the large amphibious training base to desert training at the Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif., and offshore San Clemente Island.

In recent years, and through annual Iron Fist exercise, Japan’s military has been developing its own tactics, techniques and procedures in amphibious operations, guided by U.S. Marines and their naval counterparts. This year, unlike last year’s exercise, Japanese soldiers will get to sea: They will embark USS Somerset (LPD-25) to get familiar with sea operations and learn to plan and practice amphibious raids and assaults that will take place at San Clemente Island and Camp Pendleton.

http://news.usni.org/2016/01/25/u-s...t-from-the-sea-in-expanded-iron-fist-exercise

Pretty amazing the difference 70 years makes.

It would be nice to see the Japanese taking more of their own defense responsibility.

If you need to learn, might as well learn from the best. Amphibious shit is what Marines originally did. And they're still pretty darn good at it.

Looking back through history, the best thing a country could do for itself is loose a war to the U.S.

Recent examples like Iraq don't follow that rule though.

The Japanese are living in a very spooky part of the World right now. At least we (I think) can be reasonably sure that our time and money won't be wasted as in Iraq. Along with all the neighbors including Australia, Vietnam , Taiwan, etc. Make a reasonable "canary in the mine". Not a total game changer ,but a small buffer to China if it goes "very warm" . If the Japanese Marines are half as tough as the Korean Marines, they'll be a force that won't lay down easy.
They picked the right guys to train with ! Semper Fi

Every time we help train someone else's military I can't help but to think will it be used against us at some point in the future. Not so much with Japan I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time we help train someone else's military I can't help but to think will it be used against us at some point in the future. Not so much with Japan I guess.

I wouldn't worry so much about that. Just because we show them how to do a tactical roll doesn't mean they instantly become tactical, there's mote than that, that goes into it.

I wouldn't worry so much about that. Just because we show them how to do a tactical roll doesn't mean they instantly become tactical, there's mote than that, that goes into it.

That's crazy talk...by that logic you are telling me that putting a scope on my bolt gun doesn't make me a sniper??? Haha.

Hope you know I am kidding...I agree with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom