• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unable to get fingerprinted

I am in the process of applying for a non-resident Connecticut LTC. I've got the required papers filled out and notarized. I've also gotten the passport photo taken and purchased two money orders to cover the fees. What I do not have ready are the two fingerprint cards. I called my local PD a few days ago to make sure I could just come by without an appointment and get this done. I went there yesterday only to find out that the officer who is in charge of fingerprinting is on vacation for two weeks. I was then informed that nobody else in the department knew how to do it. Huh? [thinking]

Well, I thought to myself that since I require these fingerprints for an out-of-state license, I could go to another town to get it done. Apparently that is not the case. LEO from the other town told me that I had to go to my local PD.

I then decided to call the State Police barracks and was informed that they were too busy to help me.

So, now I have to wait for who knows how long before I can get in with the local LEO in order to get myself fingerprinted. Since I cannot do it during regular working hours I will probably need an evening appointment.

And to think that I took a day off from work to get this crap done.

Should have gone shooting instead [frown]

If you want to travel to Plymouth Sunday morning and if our machine is working, I could probably do it.

I would say thats complete BS. How the hell are they supposed to process people for the next 2 weeks if supposedly no one can do it?

LEO from the other town told me that I had to go to my local PD.

That's bogus. I have been fingerprinted for my FL ltc and other clearances at other towns because it was more convenient on my way back from work. No problem at all.

I had the same problem getting prints done for my Ct. license. I went to my local PD and was told I need to make an appointment to have them done, but that he's on vacation right now. Went to another PD and was told to call back later and ask if there was anyone available to fingerprint. The blank cards are still sitting on my desk.[frown]

I am surprised the Sturbridge PD would not help you; they were always great to me. I even went to their Citizens Police Academy.

Big Red, yes JonJ means Plymouth PD.

I don't believe this crap!

I've always just walked in with the card in hand and walked out printed. They had to call a guy off the road for a few minutes so I had to wait once or twice, but it is no big deal.

NO place requires that the prints be done ONLY in your own town. That's a "polite" way that the officer told you to go to hell!

You should be able to walk into any PD and get them done, unless someone just got murdered and they are up to their necks in a crime scene.

Most forms require a sign-off with the signature of an officer and the name of the department that did the prints. No way in hell anyone could have read the signature of the officer who did my renewal prints for FL! I've known and worked with that officer for years and no way I could read his signature!!

Be carefull what cards you use. The cards have the jurisdictions ORI number on them and that determines who gets the results. If you use anyones cards, the results will get lost in the system and get returned to the wrong agency.

Most times (like FL) they send you THEIR cards. You get the prints on their cards and send them with your app. No issue. [I think that the OP mentioned that he has the cards, just needs them printed by an officer.]

I agree that picking up random cards won't cut it.

I believe all the cards (both sets) go to the state and then to the FBI for background check / processing.

I fingerprint all of our new hires at work and that is where they go. Plus right now I had to send in 2 cards for my F4 paperwork for my AC556 and that goes to the ATF and then to the FBI.

But your right also. Cards are all the same pretty much but they each have their own stamp on them that states the dept. they are from.

I don't believe this crap!

I've always just walked in with the card in hand and walked out printed. They had to call a guy off the road for a few minutes so I had to wait once or twice, but it is no big deal.

NO place requires that the prints be done ONLY in your own town. That's a "polite" way that the officer told you to go to hell!

You should be able to walk into any PD and get them done, unless someone just got murdered and they are up to their necks in a crime scene.

!

With the budget cuts and man power shortages many PDs have eliminated certain non essential services they used to perform. Calling people in off the road for Non Departmental paperwork is one of them.

This is happening more and more frequently and right or wrong it is a fact of life you will need to get used to. A lot of guys don't know how to roll prints anymore. I learned in the days of the glass plate and ink roller [wink]

Big_Red, I am on the Cape so I am a little too far for you. Take JonJ up on the offer or call the local County Jail and see if they will do it.

Last edited:
When I got printed the last time for my renewal they called in a bike patrol cop to do the prints. When he was doing my right hand I was on his right side and his service weapon was on that hip...he had my right hand and glanced back at me and told me in a joking way to just not grab his gun.... I glanced down, looked back at him and with a straight face told him "I don't need yours, I already have one" everyone laughed. They were a great bunch.

Anyway, I was thinking, is there laready a thread with all the issues out here? If not, perhaps one could be started as a sticky and everytime someone has an issue like this fingerprint run around they could update that sticky with a description of the BS they are put through from their PDs.

I'm not saying to not have a discussion thread about the problem but in this case this is total BS and what a run-around. I've read other stories out here about things like this and maybe we could just keep it documented.

You are probably right [thinking]

That's what I thought too [hmmm]

Be careful what cards you use. The cards have the jurisdictions ORI number on them and that determines who gets the results. If you use anyones cards, the results will get lost in the system and get returned to the wrong agency.

I received the fingerprint cards from the CT State Police. Both have necessary stamps so I do not believe there would be a problem with results getting lost.

How can you get the prints done anywhere by anyone? How do they know that the prints you are submitting are your own prints? It seems a little insecure. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the prints?

I'm sure the state would want a police agency to roll the prints (dating myself there a bit !!!). Get me an ink pad. I still have the touch...

The funny thing was a few years back they would not like our agency print for immigration purposes. All applicants would have to go to a non-police location specified by the INS. It was never a bother to print someone. Took a few minutes and the town got a ten dollar fee. Residents were printed for free as were any police, military or school employees. Basically I hated to make up the receipts so I printed everyone for free. Even with the AFIS system, we ink roll the prints.

By the way, applicant prints were done one on one. Any arrests had at least two officers on site, sometimes more.

If your in sturbridge and haven't gotten the prints yet, I would just call troop C in Tolland,Ct they have a computer do prints as I remember on Tuesdays, but call for sure. They Troop C is only 20+ mininutes down the road.

Back
Top Bottom