Undecided on J-Frame Pocket or IWB Carry

I'm getting a 638 J-Frame snubbie in soon...I can't decide for the life of me whether I want to do a pocket carry or IWB. My main concern with IWB is that it will be uncomfortable to wear day-to-day, while my concern with pocket carry is that it may print or just be a pain to use if I really need to draw it.

I know the J frame is a popular platform for everyday CC. Does anyone have any recommendations on what they prefer?

You will do both. You should get a holster for both. Some pants work for pocket and some don't. Both are easy with the 638. I have the 438 ( same gun but black) and use both. If your new to ccw it may still feel awkward until you get used to it. Maybe try a remora holster first because you can use it for pocket or iwb and doesn't cost too much.

when i owned one i carried it in my pocket exclusively using a mika's holster.

This ^

Check out the Mika holster. It's a small operation, might take a while to get it, but the holster is superb for pocket carry. Reasonably priced as well. Very well built and comfortable. Zero "printing" concerns.

not everybody wears a xxxl shirt, a 28" waist pants or a size 13 shoe.

You need to try a bunch of different things and ultimately determine what works for you.

638 with a Mika holster and WOOD grips is my preferred carry. Wood grips because I have found rubber snags on the fabric of the pocket. YMMV

For the times when you can not pocket carry, a good IWB is also good to have. I prefer the Alessi WSDT

Both....

I have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Fits well in the front pockets of my shorts. Jeans - not so much. I find the pockets in my jeans are smaller. For IWB carry, I have a Galco Summer Comfort.

Mine shipped in about a week. En route as we type.

Great! Looks like he finally got some more help in his shop. I have the round cut, but in certain pants it sometimes "rolls" (or tilts). I'm ordering a square cut today, for when I wear pants with that type of pocket.

I have one of the lobo gun leather offset clip IWB holsters coming my way...hopefully by the end of the month. I'll have to post a review at some point.

I can carry my 229 IWB, though its a bigass gun, so I'm hoping that this is a lot easier to deal with and more comfortable.

I have one of the lobo gun leather offset clip IWB holsters coming my way...hopefully by the end of the month. I'll have to post a review at some point.

I have one too, I like it, haven't posted much of a review. I rarely carry a snub IWB, but when I do it's great for it. I'm part of the school of thought that if carrying IWB, I can carry something bigger, but I go against that too obviously. Desantis Nemesis for my pocket holster, works well enough.

I also carry my 638 both iwb and pocket. It's really tough carrying in the pocket when I'm wearing sweats or maybe jeans with smaller pockets. I'd say I carry 90% in the pocket and use an uncle mikes for that. When I carry iwb I use a galco leather (very thin) with an under the belt clip, has a cant that I like and I bought one at 4seasons for $34 and another at D&L in Warwick RI for $29 (it was a good deal) plus when I iwb the holster gets a little moist so I swap it out to dry. Another great addition to your 638, at least I think so, is some Buffalo Bore ammo Check link below, I bought a couple of both, they work great for me. Good luck!

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a J that I carry in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, it works well for me in most applications. I've never been a big IWB fan. If I carry the J on a belt it is outside the waist in a Kydex holster. If I am carrying on the belt, then I usually carry a larger framed handgun/ YMMV...and yes there are better pocket holsters out there.

I've been pocket carrying a 642 all summer. I love the light weight and small size when I'm dressed in shorts and tshirt or when I'm dressed for work. I'd say 80% of my pants and shorts easily accommodate the DeSantis pocket holster. However, I am planning on an IWB for the few that don't.

One of the things to consider is that pocket carry requires some fairly deep pockets to keep the butt of the gun from peeking out of the pocket.

My 642 is pocket carry. IWB is a bigger gun. I've tried the 642 IWB but can't find a comfortable position.

This is my problem as well. Try as I may, I just can't get my 042 comfortable IWB, so it's my pocket carry. I can carry my Kahr P9 IWB all day without even knowing it's there, but my Smith has me crying in a hour.

I do, however, have a nice OWB Kydex for my 042, but it's not very practical.

Back
Top Bottom