Under $1,500

Hello All,
I'm new to the gun world. I've only been shooting at the range for 2 months. But I've been putting 4 hours a week in and I'm hooked. My #1 reason for getting into pistol shooting is to enjoy the competition. Self defense is a low 2nd.
So, being an overwhelmed newby with so many options out there, I felt a need to turn to the forum community for help on picking my first firearm.
What's a great 9mm pistol for the range and eventually competition under $1500? (Maybe I can stretch that a little if needed). I'm willing to customize. But, I don't need an optic, laser, or a light attached right now. Also I live in CT where owners are limited to 10 round mags.
Hammer fire or striker fire doesn't matter. I like the HK USP and vp9 (altho the VP9 feels a little gritty to me), the PPQ (super smooth trigger with a great snap. Very comfortable. But terrible sights and short site radius). Wilson combat's 1911s are amazing and S&W 1911 are great too. But my thumb can't reach the slide release on full size 1911s. They actually feel overall a little too big in my hands. Glock triggers hurt b/c of the trigger safety that doesn't fully depress (I cud always replace the trigger tho I guess). I haven't tried the q5 Match yet. But I hear it's the same as the PPQ, just longer.
Basically I've been to several different gun shops and ranges and tested a lot of different options. Nothing feels 100% right. Maybe I shud just get a Glock and customize the hell out of it? Or, maybe the 5in PPQ with the new apex trigger? Or a single stack 9mm dan Wesson 1911 (single stack since I'm limited to rounds in CT and the smaller handle might help the 1911 feel more natural in my hand)?
Btw, why don't I hear about HK, Walther, or Sig in competitions? I know money isn't an object for serious competitors. Is it that M&P, Glock, and Smith are easier to customize and parts are easier to find?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
Maybe trying to make my first gun THE gun I stick with for years is unrealistic since needs and preferences change as skills develop.

Get a G34. Buy a nice set of sights.

Leave the rest stock.

Spend the rest on ammo and gear. Like a nice shot timer, holster, belt, etc.

I highly recommend a CED 7000 shot timer.

A G34 is plenty of gun for all but the most experienced shooters.

Last edited:
CZs are also pretty easy to customize, and can come out of the box ready for competition as well. If you can find a Shadow-2 in budget, you will likely be pretty happy.

Get a G34. Buy a nice set of sights.

Leave the rest stock.

Spend the rest on ammo and gear. Like a nice shot timer, holster, belt, etc.

I highly recommend a CED 7000 shot timer.

A G34 is plenty of gun for all but the most experienced shooters.

If I get the Glock 34, could I change the trigger to an apex or agency trigger? Or will that limit the divisions I can participate in? The Glock trigger is aweful!
Sounds like the cost for accessories for competing add up.
Everywhere I read, the Glock 34 is one of the most popular guns to compete with. I don't quite understand that. Maybe because every gun will need some custom work and Glock is the easiest?

If I get the Glock 34, could I change the trigger to an apex or agency trigger? Or will that limit the divisions I can participate in? The Glock trigger is aweful!
Everywhere I read, the Glock 34 is one of the most popular guns to compete with. I don't quite understand that. Maybe because every gun will need some custom work and Glock is the easiest?

Not every gun requires customization for competition. I use a completely stock g-17 with absolutely NO disadvantage. You can smooth out the internals of the trigger on most any gun. (yes, Glocks are easy to do)

If you change the EXTERNAL trigger, you cannot use it in Production Division of USPSA. Internal changes (springs, polishing) is fine.

It is the Indian, not the arrow that makes the difference.

Good luck.

I have two stock G34s and they're both great, but yes, you can swap them if you want to.

What exactly don't you like about a Glock trigger? The G34 pull weight is pretty light and crisp for a stock gun.

Many of the guns you listed would be plenty good for competition. Assuming you're talking about action shooting (IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge)? Between those 3 action shooting sports, there is a division for any type of gun.

I use a Dan Wesson PM9 for those 3 shooting sports. Though I need to get my Shadow 2 out to a USPSA match soon....I just really like 1911s and you can customize those with extended slide releases, magwells, grips etc. I have the opposite problem as you, I find the 1911 grip slim so I had to install wider grip panels and an arched mainspring housing to help fill my hands to make room for my support hand...

I've shot the Walther Q5 match gun and it has one of the best out of the box triggers I've ever felt on a polymer pistol. I don't have much experience with HKs but I see guys using the VP9 at IDPA matches. Not much experience with Glock's (have dry fired a G34 and thought the trigger was fairly good) but plenty of guys use them. Sig's are also used - ever heard of Max Michel? Pretty sure he set a steel challenge record with the P320...

Of course being able to hold/shoot a lot of these guns before you buy would be helpful...I also agree with Xtry, set aside money for holster, mag pouches, belt, timer, ammo etc. Gear isn't cheap so be aware of that when choosing a gun within your budget.

Last edited:
Not every gun requires customization for competition. I use a completely stock g-17 with absolutely NO disadvantage. You can smooth out the internals of the trigger on most any gun. (yes, Glocks are easy to do)

If you change the EXTERNAL trigger, you cannot use it in Production Division of USPSA. Internal changes (springs, polishing) is fine.

It is the Indian, not the arrow that makes the difference.

Good luck.

Lol. True regarding the Indian.
I didn't know you could still compete in the production division after smoothing out the internals. That's good to know.

I have two stock G34s and they're both great, but yes, you can swap them if you want to.

What exactly don't you like about a Glock trigger? The G34 pull weight is pretty light and crisp for a stock gun.

I agree. The trigger is pretty light and crisp. It's rough on the finger though. It pinches my trigger finger and my finger hurts after a 1/2 hour of shooting.

I agree. The trigger is pretty light and crisp. It's rough on the finger though. It pinches my trigger finger and my finger hurts after a 1/2 hour of shooting.

That is a completely different situation that can be fixed by simply swapping out the stepped trigger & bar for a smooth trigger & bar. 5 minute job, tops. Glock OEM parts.

Is your budget for the gun only or all in? What competitions do you want to shoot?

I recently picked up a customized USPSA limited gun for $1200, but then spent another $500 on belt/hoster/mag carriers and some magazine components.

IMO, If you want to shoot USPSA production, pick whichever polymer 5" 9mm you like, do a trigger job, put on sights you like, and spend the rest on ammo.

Ah, so it's the trigger disconnect.

So there's a solution to that. The trigger safety protrudes beyond the "actual trigger" even when depressed on a stock setup. Unload the gun, get some 150 grit sand paper and cut into thin strips about 3/4" wide. Slide the sandpaper through the trigger and "pull the trigger" with the strip while working it back and forth.

Dry fire as you go until the trigger feels better.

I'm not sure if/how this change effects which categories you can shoot.

With your experience level, I can't stress enough how round count is going to be more important than the gun you use.

triggers2.jpg

Many of the guns you listed would be plenty good for competition. Assuming you're talking about action shooting (IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge)? Between those 3 action shooting sports, there is a division for any type of gun.

I use a Dan Wesson PM9 for those 3 shooting sports. Though I need to get my Shadow 2 out to a USPSA match soon....I just really like 1911s and you can customize those with extended slide releases, magwells, grips etc. I have the opposite problem as you, I find the 1911 grip slim so I had to install wider grip panels and an arched mainspring housing to help fill my hands to make room for my support hand...

I've shot the Walther Q5 match gun and it has one of the best out of the box triggers I've ever felt on a polymer pistol. I don't have much experience with HKs but I see guys using the VP9 at IDPA matches. Not much experience with Glock's (have dry fired a G34 and thought the trigger was fairly good) but plenty of guys use them. Sig's are also used - ever heard of Max Michel? Pretty sure he set a steel challenge record with the P320...

Of course being able to hold/shoot a lot of these guns before you buy would be helpful...I also agree with Xtry, set aside money for holster, mag pouches, belt, timer, ammo etc. Gear isn't cheap so be aware of that when choosing a gun within your budget.

Thanks for the info. Your assumption was right about the action shooting. So, when deciding on something to pick up, I'll keep in mind the availability and cost of accessories. I'll also keep in mind that anything can be modified. So, if it feels comfortable in the hand, everything can be changed.
I'm glad to hear you've seen vp9s in competition. Now knowing that i can still compete in the production division even after smoothing out the internal parts.... If I can find a gunsmith who can smooth out the grit I feel in the vp9, that could be the perfect gun for me.

Find a gun that is comfortable to shoot and get a used one, then find a used holster, belt setup. www.brianenos.com forums are great for that. Hit a couple of matches and ask a lot of questions, then spend the rest of your money going to an actual competition instructor. This will save you huge amounts of money down the road

I bought this one because it is competitive right out of the box. Using a leather holster to rest the butt on I shot a 7 shot group of 2.25 inches at 25 yards. It comes with a $1,000.00 worth of up grades you would pay a gun smith to do. You can't get a better deal than this. It was even sighted in right out of the box. Check out the 9mm too.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+AC45G2+1911+American+Classic+II+8+1+45ACP+5"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84176

PS: Mine even has a trigger that acts like a two stage target trigger. You squeeze until it hits a stop then squeeze a couple of ounces more and the hammer falls. You "can" squeeze all the way through the stop without using it also.

Last edited:
going to an actual competition instructor. This will save you huge amounts of money down the road

This is something I'd love to do and need to do. I've had my LTC since 2009 but only started shooting competitions in 2015 without ever receiving any kind of training. I'm sure I could use some professional training/advice...

I've never really looked into it much but are there competition instructors in MA or in the northeast (that you'd recommend)?

Last edited:
Find a gun that is comfortable to shoot and get a used one, then find a used holster, belt setup. www.brianenos.com forums are great for that. Hit a couple of matches and ask a lot of questions, then spend the rest of your money going to an actual competition instructor. This will save you huge amounts of money down the road

I like your idea!

This is something I'd love to do and need to do. I've had my LTC since 2009 but only started shooting competitions in 2015 without ever receiving any kind of training. I'm sure I could use some professional training/advice...

I've never really looked into it much but are there competition instructors in MA or in the northeast (that you'd recommend)?

Harvard used to do a class after a match with the local top guys. I don't think they are doing that any more, but I found it helpful when I was starting. It would be great if they started that up again. If you are B class or under Jerry Tetreau at Sig would great as would Stu from cloverleaf. Jerry would probably be better for overall match performance and Stu focus would be more on shooting performance only. As you move up in the ranks. I think you really need to bring in an instructor like Todd Jarret, Manny Bragg, JJ or whomever your shooting style matches up with.

I use a (self) modified G17 for most all of my action shooting and for SD training. It so far has served me very well. I do not see a reason to change it out. I thought about the G34, but the 17 makes more sense for me.

I have other guns I swap out now and then. But this is my go to.

Harvard used to do a class after a match with the local top guys. I don't think they are doing that any more, but I found it helpful when I was starting. It would be great if they started that up again. If you are B class or under Jerry Tetreau at Sig would great as would Stu from cloverleaf. Jerry would probably be better for overall match performance and Stu focus would be more on shooting performance only. As you move up in the ranks. I think you really need to bring in an instructor like Todd Jarret, Manny Bragg, JJ or whomever your shooting style matches up with.

I'm still not classified in USPSA but I would guess I'm a B class shooter...thanks for the info!

I don't know about all the guns you mentioned but the Walthers and probably most if not all of the other striker fired guns have backstraps that can be changed out to adjust how the gun fits in your hand, also there are some thinner grips for the 1911.

Back
Top Bottom