• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Under $1,500

Sig P210 might be with a look. They are coming out with an 'American' version, price should be close.

Sig P210 might be with a look. They are coming out with an 'American' version, price should be close.

No, it won't. Spare magazines will probably be rape and it'll easily end up out of his price range.

-Mike

Count me in for the "Glock triggers suck" crowd, yet I still like Glocks for a utility carry gun in stock form or as a range toy with some mods.

Spring kit, 'race' connector, and polished internals will make it completely acceptable. Still the 'sproing' feeling of a striker fired polymer gun trigger, but not bad. Don't compare it to a decent 1911, Sig, or other hammer fired all metal handgun- it's a different animal. A few dirt cheap improvements and you can not only live with it but drive tacks. It will shoot better than you do, and for short change compared to other options. Be sure your parts match the generation of your Glock- usually Gen3 or Gen4.

Count me in for the "Glock triggers suck" crowd, yet I still like Glocks for a utility carry gun in stock form or as a range toy with some mods.

Spring kit, 'race' connector, and polished internals will make it completely acceptable. Still the 'sproing' feeling of a striker fired polymer gun trigger, but not bad. Don't compare it to a decent 1911, Sig, or other hammer fired all metal handgun- it's a different animal. A few dirt cheap improvements and you can not only live with it but drive tacks. It will shoot better than you do, and for short change compared to other options. Be sure your parts match the generation of your Glock- usually Gen3 or Gen4.

I hear a lot of guys at the range talk about Agency Arms trigger work for Glocks. Is that where you got your spring kit and race connector from?

No, it won't. Spare magazines will probably be rape and it'll easily end up out of his price range.

-Mike

Agreed. I'm considering eliminating the PPQ Q5 Match from my short list for that exact reason. Spare magazines apparently cost $100 each! Not worth it especially in CT where I'm limited to 10 rounds p/mag. I draw the line at $50.

I hear a lot of guys at the range talk about Agency Arms trigger work for Glocks. Is that where you got your spring kit and race connector from?

Zev race connector, Wolff springs, and everything else stock. Polished the necessary surfaces. There are threads on what to polish & I may have a pic showing what surfaces. Main point is to go slowly and gently- if you remove any metal other than surface roughness you might ruin the part.

Sold my G34 and kinda wish I kept it. I did get a G19 frame in a group buy and put a G23C (factory ported .40) slide on top. The G23C got the same 'race' treatment as the G34. Someday I'll probably build up on a custom G34 frame and see how that goes.

Harvard used to do a class after a match with the local top guys. I don't think they are doing that any more, but I found it helpful when I was starting. It would be great if they started that up again. If you are B class or under Jerry Tetreau at Sig would great as would Stu from cloverleaf. Jerry would probably be better for overall match performance and Stu focus would be more on shooting performance only. As you move up in the ranks. I think you really need to bring in an instructor like Todd Jarret, Manny Bragg, JJ or whomever your shooting style matches up with.

I thought Gerry moved from NE?

Zev race connector, Wolff springs, and everything else stock. Polished the necessary surfaces. There are threads on what to polish & I may have a pic showing what surfaces. Main point is to go slowly and gently- if you remove any metal other than surface roughness you might ruin the part.

Sold my G34 and kinda wish I kept it. I did get a G19 frame in a group buy and put a G23C (factory ported .40) slide on top. The G23C got the same 'race' treatment as the G34. Someday I'll probably build up on a custom G34 frame and see how that goes.

I am HOOKED on the zevtechnologies website now! Now I want a Glock just so I can replace everything with zev parts and make it my own. Lol. beautiful images in their gallery! I'm sure you could easily spend a fortunate, though. Their slides alone are over $500!

I am HOOKED on the zevtechnologies website now! Now I want a Glock just so I can replace everything with zev parts and make it my own. Lol. beautiful images in their gallery! I'm sure you could easily spend a fortunate, though. Their slides alone are over $500!

Be careful about replacing striker springs in any gun, especially glocks. You can get FTF due to light strikes.

If you put a lighter strike spring in a gun, I would highly recommend you relegate that weapon to competition only and not carry it.

$3-5,000 for a Glock seems to defeat the purpose of the design IMO. At that price point I think you would be better served with a 2011.

$3-5,000 for a Glock seems to defeat the purpose of the design IMO. At that price point I think you would be better served with a 2011.

True. Wilson combat X-tac elite? Gorgeous gun.
1911s and 2011s are a bit heavy for me, though. After about a 1/2 hour I feel like I did a shoulder workout at the gym. I understand what your saying, though. I'm not sure where the line is best to be drawn when considering the number of mods. But, I suppose the trigger, sites, and mag release should be all I really need.

Be careful about replacing striker springs in any gun, especially glocks. You can get FTF due to light strikes.

If you put a lighter strike spring in a gun, I would highly recommend you relegate that weapon to competition only and not carry it.

I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks. I most likely won't be carrying since I don't even like to carry a wallet. But as a beginner, I'll refrain from replacing the striker springs until I'm more experienced.

All of those fancy slide cuts don't make the gun more accurate, faster, or more efficient so you are spending $2,000 on cosmetic alterations and maybe $500 on actual improvements to functionality. In reality, a stone and a few hours of work can accomplish most of that work for far less money using OEM Glock parts.

As for buying a race gun to start, I wouldn't. I think most here would argue that you would be better served learning to shoot to a reasonable proficiency with a production gun and then upgrading. Not only does it hone your skills better, it gives you time to figure out what you want and like as a shooter before dumping a boatload of cash into a fancy gun that you hate.

Also, most guys running race guns either reload or buy ammo by the case.

I would absolutely not buy a race gun to start.

Can you learn to drive in a F1 car? Sure you can, but it's a bad idea.

If you want to try a race gun, I'm sure there are members here who would give you some time to try one. There's a point at which you're exceeding your skill level into sketchy territory. I would never hand a newer shooter a gun with a 2.5lb trigger.

Last edited:
How long do the Marines train you with a rifle before even letting you shoot it? Three weeks give or take?

Just don't. please, don't. There's no reason to put 98% of that shit on your gun. Most of that stuff is just there to burn a hole in your wallet. New sights, OEM minus connector (if needed, or similar part) maybe a slide lock or mag release only if needed, done. otherwise, **** that shit. Waste of money. Don't change striker springs either, unless you want to be "that guy" with the broken gun. (nearly every ****ed up glock I've ever seen has a reduced power striker spring in the mix).

If you feel compelled to go beyond that, take the money you planned on wasting and buy magazines, or ammunition.

-Mike

You cant go wrong with an HK, USP or VP9. Im not a fan of them, but everyone posting for Glock is not wrong either. Given your budget however, I would say spend the money on a SIG M11-a1 229 or one of the 1911 formats. I dont think you should need many upgrades on a SIG platform.

You cant go wrong with an HK, USP or VP9. Im not a fan of them, but everyone posting for Glock is not wrong either. Given your budget however, I would say spend the money on a SIG M11-a1 229 or one of the 1911 formats. I dont think you should need many upgrades on a SIG platform.

I can't hate on my SIG P226 Elite: Great trigger, all steel preban mags, adjustable night sights, great grip, and shoots like a dream. It is not a striker fired gun though and I'm not sure if newbies are allowed to buy a hammer fired gun. I would have to check the rules.

As for buying a race gun to start, I wouldn't. I think most here would argue that you would be better served learning to shoot to a reasonable proficiency with a production gun and then upgrading. Not only does it hone your skills better, it gives you time to figure out what you want and like as a shooter before dumping a boatload of cash into a fancy gun that you hate.

Also, most guys running race guns either reload or buy ammo by the case.

Yep.

Don't think if you buy a race gun that it magically makes you a pro shooter overnight[laugh]

I saw this countless times at indoor steel plate matches down in CT, where guys sold their production guns (glocks, M&Ps etc) to buy STI and CZ open guns and still don't shoot much better than they did with the production guns.... Of course it's their money, their decision. I could care less as long as they're safe and not having ND's....

Last edited:
Yep.

Don't think if you buy a race gun that it magically makes you a pro shooter overnight[laugh]

I saw this countless times at indoor steel plate matches down in CT, where guys sold their production guns (glocks, M&Ps etc) to buy STI and CZ open guns and still don't shoot much better than they did with the production guns.... Of course it's their money, their decision. I could care less as long as they're safe and not having ND's....

I agree with andrew here. A ferrari wont make you a race car driver, it will allow you to go faster, but only once you have put the time in doing the all important thing with any hobby; PRACTICE.

Pro shooter with a stock M&P shield beats a newbie with an STI any day.

Points definitely understood. So, if I stick with a production gun I will enjoy shooting:
Striker fires:
p320 compact
vp9
Ppq
Hammer fires:
HK USP
HK p30
Dan Wesson Valkyrie commander

The p320 compact isn't too expensive and I cud always buy the kit for the full size, if I want, to save money when I'm ready.

I would stick with a full sized gun for competition. $0.02 whatever fits your hand blah blah blah

As Mike would say, HK is an oversized and overpriced school bus for what it is.

There is a guy at one of the local clubs who did a whole bunch of work himself on his Glock 19 to make it "better" for comp. The last time I saw him was at an IDPA - type shoot and his gun started randomly firing without even touching the trigger. I believe it was when he dropped the slide on a fresh mag... bang. He's not an idiot and I know he's been in the gun world for longer than I have but he obviously screwed something up and that could have turned into a real bad situation.

Just saying, be very careful about customizing guns. If you're not sure you can handle it your self, bring it to a gunsmith.

Last edited:
Just don't. please, don't. There's no reason to put 98% of that shit on your gun. Most of that stuff is just there to burn a hole in your wallet. New sights, OEM minus connector (if needed, or similar part) maybe a slide lock or mag release only if needed, done. otherwise, **** that shit. Waste of money. Don't change striker springs either, unless you want to be "that guy" with the broken gun. (nearly every ****ed up glock I've ever seen has a reduced power striker spring in the mix).

If you feel compelled to go beyond that, take the money you planned on wasting and buy magazines, or ammunition.

-Mike

Don't be bashful, tell us how you really feel. LOL...

A connector and couple springs will cost relatively little. I agree on everything else- cosmetic wallet burners.

To the OP- If you change any internals, keep the gun as a range toy only. Also be extra cautious to always point in a safe direction and be extra cautious shooting the first time in case of doubles, etc. With a little work, Glock triggers can be made almost tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom