• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Underwood 10mm - Info On 200gr Hard Cast, 140gr XP, and 180gr Gold Dot

Not long ago I picked up a G20 and I thought I'd post of some of the ballistics and observations from testing a few Underwood loads.

The three rounds I tested were the 200gr Hard Cast Lead Flat Nose, 140gr XP (this is the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator bullet), and 180gr Gold Dot.

The 200gr HCFN and the 140gr XP were intended for woods defense, while I got the 180gr Gold Dot with home defense in mind. (Don't mind the Corbon DPX which are second from the left).
IMG_2276.jpg

140gr XP
If you don't know about the Xtreme Penetrator, it's a solid copper bullet that's basically a flat nose FMJ profile with four flutes cut out to force hydraulic tissue outward to create more damage. Underwood advertises it at 1470fps from the G20's stock barrel. I came in rather higher at 1537fps on average. That means this load is good for a silly 734ft.lbs. from a semi-auto that holds 15+1 rounds. This also comes out to a Power Factor of 215. Compare that to typical .45ACP at 200 and recoil isn't anything crazy in the G20.

I don't have a good picture of the gel blocks I hit with this, but I shot three rounds into gel and they ranged from 24.5-27" of penetration with "wound tracks" that look akin to a good 9mm hollow point. Here's a picture of the three recovered bullets.
Underwood XP.jpg

200gr HCFN
I picked up the 200gr load because I sort of felt like the 140gr XP was a bit light on penetration for bear or moose. Underwood's site says these are good for 1250fps, but doesn't list barrel lengths so I think 1200fps from the G20's barrel is probably what they're estimating. I got 1154fps on average which is good power but a bit disappointing after coming in over the mark with the XP. Still, this is good for nearly 600lb.ft. with a PF of 230, so recoil is still manageable and obviously when penetration is the goal weight can be more important than energy.

Penetration with this load was... interesting. I put two blocks end to end (32" total) and the image below tells most of the story. All three rounds zipped straight through. After the first two, I asked my friend to spot downrange to see if he could see where the third round hits the ground (figuring it would be arcing downward after exiting, and would hit the ground around 75 yards downrange). Nope. He saw the impact and it was 6ft up the berm at 100 yards, straight in line with my point of aim. Basically the round zipped through the block and still had enough velocity to make it to the berm and it hit with authority.

If I had to take a guess, these would exceed 4ft of penetration. Good for hitting the vitals in a bear or moose, and good for getting through bone along the way. The "wound track" was unimpressive so bleeding would be minimal if you miss the vitals. I think part of the drawback to this round is that the bullet profile is somewhat rounded where the shoulders of the bullet meet the meplat. It would be better if it had sharp shoulders for more damage and less penetration.

Bottom line I think this is a bit too much penetration, but at least I can confidently say it'll punch through if I hit bone or have to shoot a wild animal from a weird angle.
200gr Gel.jpg

180gr Gold Dot
tnoutdoors9 reviewed this load on YouTube and his results looked similar to mine. This load is the same 180gr Gold Dot bullet found in Speer's 40S&W factory load, but here it's loaded atop a 10mm shell and advertized to 1300fps from a G20 barrel. I clocked it at 1268fps on average, meaning it's good for 642ft.lbs. with a PF of 228 (again the recoil is stout but not absurd). What was absurd was what these did in ballistic gel...

I fired 7 of these into gel to get a real good sense of if it performs consistently. By and large, it does, which is impressive when you're over-driving a bullet by this much. For reference the factory 40S&W speed for this bullet is 985fps, so this is going nearly 30% faster than designed, carrying 66% more energy.

Penetration ranged from 12.75" and 13.5" through heavy denim, up to a high of 17" into bare gel. All rounds fell within the FBI specified range for two-legged defense. The average penetration was 15.1" (which is perfect).

5 of the 7 tested rounds retained all their weight to the end of their travel, while the other 2 each shed one pedal for a weight retention of 90.5%. The real story is what the bullets look like afterward. I'm sure if these were anything other than Gold Dot construction, they would have completely come apart. What's nice about Gold Dots is that they're not only bonded (which isn't enough when you over-drive a bullet by this much) but they have that copper post in the center of the core that stops jacket core separation. These tried it, but stayed together and clearly weren't in much danger of coming totally apart. At worst these will shed a pedal or two, especially if a round hit bone or something. The two denim shots looked the most like a God Dot should, with the denim plug seemingly protecting the bullet's face from the full hydraulic pressure of the gel. The 5 bare gel shots basically turned inside out, and the result is nasty, of the 'holy crap I don't want to get hit with it' variety.

Here are the recovered rounds, positioned in various orientations to give you the best idea.
God Dots Recovered.jpg

Here's the gel block. Don't mind the two rounds that look like they only went about 8". Those had "wound tracks" running out near the end of the block and these experienced bounce back. This is basically a known phenomenon seen with Clear Ballistics blocks. It tends to happen more with high power rounds like these, that make huge temporary cavities. Speaking of "wound tracks" these would cause serious damage to tissue out to 9"+.
180gr Gel.jpg

Bottom line with the 180gr load is that it's nasty and very impressive. If you told me "you're going to have to shoot to defend your life in 5 minutes and you can have a handgun of your choice with any round", I'd take a G20 with these. There are more powerful options out there, but with lower capacity and more recoil. This seems like the most devastating thing out there in a high capacity, semi-auto handgun platform.

To sum up regarding the 200gr and 140gr loads, I ended up deciding to load them alternating in my 'woods magazine'. I figure that way I get the best of both worlds with more tissue damage from the 140gr and more penetration from the 200gr. When I start hand loading I plan to try some hard cast 200gr loads with sharper shoulders to hopefully narrow down to one round that performs in between both.

As far as Underwood is concerned in general, I'm totally sold on their ammo. I like how hot they've been able to load these, and from everything I've seen they typically meet their advertised performance numbers. It's worth mentioning I also picked up some of their 180gr FMJ, which were very accurate and very much full power for well under $1 a round. Underwood will be my choice for high power defense and plinking loads going forward.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just picked up a G20 a few months ago and just got to shoot it the other day. Not sure I like the I-dot night sights on it, but I do like the gun. I have a G19, a G35 frame with a G22 slide and a G17 complete slide and the G20. I was getting ready to reload for the G20 when I realized that the brass is large pistol primer not small. I did find some inexpensive PPU 180 Gr JHP at Cabelas, but I think some of the 180 Gold dots that I reloaded for my .40 hit harder than the PPU.

Thanks for the info. I just picked up a G20 a few months ago and just got to shoot it the other day. Not sure I like the I-dot night sights on it, but I do like the gun. I have a G19, a G35 frame with a G22 slide and a G17 complete slide and the G20. I was getting ready to reload for the G20 when I realized that the brass is large pistol primer not small. I did find some inexpensive PPU 180 Gr JHP at Cabelas, but I think some of the 180 Gold dots that I reloaded for my .40 hit harder than the PPU.

Lol been there. The PPU 180gr 10mm clocks 920fps average. That's 339ft.lbs. which is less than range .40S&W. Any cheap or off the shelf 10mm is loaded to 10mm lite specs so it's no hotter than .40. The PPU is exactly half the energy of full house 10mm loads. As for sights I strongly recommend Trijicon HD Night Sights.

Yep, I'm a fan of Underwood too. I have the 180 Grain XTP JHP in my S&W 1006 as a trail gun and the 140 Grain TAC-XP on the rare occasion I carry it. Thanks for the great write up.

Thanks for this info!!!!!

Just ordered a G20 and waiting to talk to Cody from TR Enabling about building a 10MM 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP aweseom write up. Thanks.

Since we are neutered to 10rds down here in mass-land, I prefer the G29 w a longer lone wolf barrel to maximize velocity. A little snappy but still shootable.

since Ive got no use for a 10mm, Ive tried to sell it a few times but everyone wants to haggle me down to ridiculousness so I figure will just hold on to it....for shits and giggles at the range.

Love my 20 everything I've ever heard about ppu for you reloaders is the brass is g2g hand loading hotter. So a lot of guys get cheap ppu ammo for about the same as brass costs for 10mm. Shoot all the cheap crap for some practice then load the crap out of it.

SubieGuy4, I was wondering if you have had a chance to try the SIG 10mm ammo? I picked up a box at Cabelas and was very pleased with how it shoots. Nothing like that PPU crap. I don't have a chrono yet but definitely more snap than my G22 now. Man I'm really liking this G20.

The 10mm sig elite 180gr FMJ is some of the hotter factory 10mm loads i've encountered. shoots very clean. they claim 624 ft-lbs, which I believe is accurate given the noticeably higher recoil compared to 180 gr loads generated 500 to 550 ft-lbs. The Sig elite ammo also has minimal muzzle flash at least in the G20SF w 24lb recoil spring.

Recently got to play around w some buffalo bore 180gr JHP which chrono's at 1350 fps, something like 780 ft-lbs. it was a hoot at the range. definitely generated some smiles for the wife. if somebody else were paying the ammo bill I would shoot the BB more often.

The 10mm sig elite 180gr FMJ is some of the hotter factory 10mm loads i've encountered. shoots very clean. they claim 624 ft-lbs, which I believe is accurate given the noticeably higher recoil compared to 180 gr loads generated 500 to 550 ft-lbs. The Sig elite ammo also has minimal muzzle flash at least in the G20SF w 24lb recoil spring.

Recently got to play around w some buffalo bore 180gr JHP which chrono's at 1350 fps, something like 780 ft-lbs. it was a hoot at the range. definitely generated some smiles for the wife. if somebody else were paying the ammo bill I would shoot the BB more often.

Yeah I'm thinking I might grab another box at Cabelas to hold me over until my press is set up for 10mm

SubieGuy4, I was wondering if you have had a chance to try the SIG 10mm ammo? I picked up a box at Cabelas and was very pleased with how it shoots. Nothing like that PPU crap. I don't have a chrono yet but definitely more snap than my G22 now. Man I'm really liking this G20.

I haven't. If someone mailed me 3 rounds I'd happily amend the test to include chrono and gel results for the SIG 10mm V-Crown. I don't personally plan to buy any for evaluation, based on what I've been able to find about its performance.

It seems like it's the best option for factory ammo that you're going to find on the shelf, but that doesn't say a lot. Chrono results I've seen put it around 1200fps from a G20 length barrel. That's not too far off advertised, so I'm guessing they advertise for a 5" barrel. Still, the Underwood 180gr Gold Dots are going around 1270 and the bullets perform fantastically.

If you're stuck buying at a walk-in store, it's probably a good bet, and I've seen a gel test where expansion seems reasonable. If you can buy online, it still seems clear that the Underwood load has an edge.

+1, nice write up, I have a box of the sig ammo but haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet.

I load 9.6 grains of Blue dot over a 180 cast head, haven't chrono'd it but out of my 6" barreled G20 it feels like an ass kicker.

Back
Top Bottom