my job and need to apply to get unemployment benefits. Do I do this through
the NH Employment Security Office or do
I apply through the Mass.Gov website?
Thanks you in advance!!

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You file in Mass because you live here. You had to pay Mass income tax so this is where you file for unemployment.

BTW, this should be in the "off topic" forum not in firearms related.
This is incorrect, OP.

You file in NH. That will suck for you because NH pays fraction of MA.

Get a job, though!

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The state you work in.
MA has declared that people working from home who live outside of MA are actually working in MA for tax purposes if they would still be working in the DPRM but for the plague. The fact that the person now working out of NH may not even be connecting to MA is not accepted by the MA DOR as not "working in MA". NH has vowed to fight this to preserve its "unique advantage" but I don't know the status of that case or even if it has been filed.

It will be interesting to see if these people are also considered as "becoming unemployed in MA" if they lost their job working out of their NH home office.

Sterg

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy for you guys to say get a job when your working. I was laid off after a covid “furlough” after 36 years at the same company. I figure I have earned the right to collect. I defend the OP’s right to collect also. His company laid him off. His company pays into the system and depending how many people they lay off, the more they pay. For me it’s even harder to find a job at 63. I do keep trying. Help wanted signs are everywhere. Hard to get a job making minimum wage after making 100k and benefits. It may have to come down to that eventually.

mitch28

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies 60yo here plan on calling Mass tomorrow so I do it right.

Bt74

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As people that know wtf they are talking about, posted, you file in the state you are employed in. The aholes shrieking "get a job", can go screw themselves. Laid off, file a claim. NH only pays $427 max, plus the Fed $300.

free

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You file in Mass because you live here. You had to pay Mass income tax so this is where you file for unemployment.

BTW, this should be in the "off topic" forum not in firearms related.
You were not helpful in both your sentences. And wrong in one.

Maybe you should head on over to bob is the oil guy forum . . .

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Easy for you guys to say get a job when your working. I was laid off after a covid “furlough” after 36 years at the same company. I figure I have earned the right to collect. I defend the OP’s right to collect also. His company laid him off. His company pays into the system and depending how many people they lay off, the more they pay. For me it’s even harder to find a job at 63. I do keep trying. Help wanted signs are everywhere. Hard to get a job making minimum wage after making 100k and benefits. It may have to come down to that eventually.
We are asked if we want to opt in to the unemployment insurance. We're told we ARE. So without encouraging people to "take the summer off at the beach" if they happen to be laid off in the Spring, also don't feel bad about collecting UE if you qualify.

You should of course seek employment as soon as you can. Sounds like the amount you'll collect from NH UE would be a good encouragement to find other work asap.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You were not helpful in both your sentences. And wrong in one.

Maybe you should head on over to bob is the oil guy forum . . .
He had three sentences, not two. In two he asserted three points, two being incorrect. In the third sentence he correctly (and politely) counseled the OP that he was asking in the wrong forum. His final score is 50%.

You however, did have three sentences. Two are incorrect on technicalities and one is unhelpful and rude. Your score happens to be the same as your contribution to this site: Zero

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My daughter just went back to college in VT. She had a job lined up that she's been working for two weeks in the college dining hall. They're now saying they need to lay her off because there aren't enough people eating there. I'm not sure what VT pays for unemployment but it sounds like she should try applying in MA first. She worked here all summer.

mav

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Same reason men rob banks. That's where the money is.
The vast majority of jobs pay more in MA. Only way living in NH works out better income tax wise is if you also work in NH, especially given you are likely paying higher real estate taxes in NH than in MA. I’ve looked at this a number of times because freedom and taxes...

Top Bottom