• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unique for 44 magnum?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
I've got 240 grain semi-wadcutters with a blue powder coat.
I've been reading for hours and have discovered the error of my ways trying to use unique for 44mag. But it's what I've got. So I'd like to use it.
I'm getting a wide range of suggestions on loads.
I've seen as low as 6.5 grains up to 12.6.
I want a load my lady would like shooting for the 1st time.
Thanks.

Unique is great for a middle of the road load. It will still be plenty snappy at the top end though. I suggest a 44 special load. I think I was using about 7.5 grains of Unique in my special loads with an RCBS 44-250K
Very pleasant to shoot and with that heavyish bullet and a good crimp I didn’t have any issues with dirty cases or un burnt powder.

Think I'm gonna like it here!
I use to do some .38 and.357 years ago. Then the kids came along and things got put on hold.
It's like starting all over .
I'm will be doing .308, 30-06, .223 and .45 too.
I'm sure I'll have tons of questions
They will he welcome. This forum tends to get choked up with tons of cat threads and off topic bullshit.
it’s more of the place to come to see what’s screwed up in the world or who the newest weirdo is in FL.
From time to tone some reloading threads pop up and we get to see some of the vast knowledge on this forum. It’s awesome.

As Michael J Spangler said Unique is a fine choice for mid range loads. It's an old and very versatile powder. I've used many pounds of it over the years in a lot of handgun and rifle calibers.

Unique is not difficult to ignite so you don't need magnum primers but if that's all you have you should be fine with such low pressure loads.

I used unique and blue dot quite a bit in .44.
Unique was good for .44 spl, books not in front of me but "around or close to " 7 grs w/ a 240 plated s.w.c. and winch lpp.
Closer to 12 (and just shy of max for blue dot) for 240's.
Wife loved the .44 spls. Could easily burn through 200 in one sitting.

Think I'm gonna like it here!
I use to do some .38 and.357 years ago. Then the kids came along and things got put on hold.
It's like starting all over .
I'm will be doing .308, 30-06, .223 and .45 too.
I'm sure I'll have tons of questions
Once you get into 45acp get a pound of bullseye and some semi wadcutters in lead or even plated. 4.6 grains of bullseye under 200 grain swc is the old standbye for accuracy. I've been loading a ton of these and they are a blast to shoot......very soft recoil.....ragged hole accurate at 25 feet....fast follow ups on plate racks.

Here is a pretty good article on bullseye powder loads for low recoil and accuracy.

Enjoy the time in the loading room!

Way back when I was shooting USRA Postal Matches, I used 5.7gr Unique under a 240gr SWC with large CCI primers as my go to load in a Model 29. It is really a .44spl load. I also occasionally used 6.0gr.

Back
Top Bottom