Unusual 1911

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I saw this posted over at TheHighRoad.org . No one could figure out what it was. Can anyone here make a good guess?

unusual1911.jpg

That is most definitely a gun that locks into something on an armored car. You can see at the "barrel" end there are two hooks facing back and one facing forward that will lock onto a bar running along side the wall of the truck. When a shot is fired, the slide will come back as normal. You can still see the ejection port on the other side. I would like a picture of the other side as well though if someone has it.

That is most definitely a gun that locks into something on an armored car. You can see at the "barrel" end there are two hooks facing back and one facing forward that will lock onto a bar running along side the wall of the truck. When a shot is fired, the slide will come back as normal. You can still see the ejection port on the other side. I would like a picture of the other side as well though if someone has it.

The handle on top looks like it operates some sort of 'shutter' at the front (presumably to prevent any bad guys the opportunity to disable the gun in some manner).

I don't know what it is, but I will say that it apears to be a single shot. The mag release button is missing which would indicate that it doesn't need a mag. The handle on the top appears to be fixed to the slide and it appears to have a latch mechanism that would prevent the slide from cycling. If I had to guess, I would say that it was a test apparatus to either measure the energy of a cartridge or something that used the gas energy from a blank round to power something else. Other than that I would guess that it was an overzealous alternative to a tungsten guide rod![smile]

I don't know what it is, but I will say that it apears to be a single shot. The mag release button is missing which would indicate that it doesn't need a mag. The handle on the top appears to be fixed to the slide and it appears to have a latch mechanism that would prevent the slide from cycling. If I had to guess, I would say that it was a test apparatus to either measure the energy of a cartridge or something that used the gas energy from a blank round to power something else. Other than that I would guess that it was an overzealous alternative to a tungsten guide rod![smile]

You know... you might be on to something. It could be some early device to test chamber pressure (a reverse CUP method). There could be a small pinhole in the chamber which raises the "T" shaped lever, which operates the other lever, which operates the clapper/shutter at the front, which gives some sort of reading. The pepper shaker holes on the sides are to vent gases.

There's also no grip safety on the gun.

Then again... it cold be some foolish movie prop that never made it to the big screen. [smile]

Is it A Postal workers letter stamp?

Acctually it May be a starter for a Aircraft Engine.

Most likly takes a 70mm round that is one big fireball to kick over the air start piston.

Or maybe its a Pop Tart shooter. Toasts and Delivers

Perhaps from an old pinball machine? The kind where you actually "fire" the ball to start your round? I have seen ones like that before.

I was thinking it was a firing device to check the ballastics of a gun... something they would use in an investigation on CSI or something.

looks like 49COE beat me to the punch

Last edited:
Actually, that's the prototype for AG Coakley's new MA-compliant firearm.

Starting in January '08, all firearms sold in Massachusetts are to be permanently fitted with a device that both prevents any projectiles from coming out the muzzle end of the gun, and makes it difficult to conceal under one's garments.

I mean, it's not like politicians in MA want to "disarm" you. You can still own guns. They just want them to be safe guns.

For the children.

It does look like the mag release is gone, but that also looks like a mag floor plate. Maybe the mag is welded in and you load it from the top? The bar is for opening/closing the trap door. That hole in the bar above the hinge is not for mounting, its just a slot for the door pin to ride in. The hooks on the side/top certainly make it look like it's supposes to be inserted/locked into something. I don't think it would be used for pressure testing, as the danger would be from the breach, not the muzzle.

If it was an armored car gun, I would expect some kind of mechanism for aiming, though that could be part of the other half of the mount.

I’m guessing it is used to fire something off. Maybe a motor, generator or even a furnace. Are they any other views?

I wonder if its one of those things they use for blasting debris off the inside of
some kind of process chamber?

I'm trying to remember what the hell it was, but I remember seeing somewhere,
a special shotgun which used special loads just to blow off crusty deposits on the inside of some sort of tank/chamber.... you couldn't really get into the tank with tools, but using a gun to blow the deposits away apparently was a
viable option.

-Mike

I don't have a clue what it is ...BUT someone has been trying to get those screws out on the side of the box....

it does have a trap door of sorts...[thinking]

I wonder if its one of those things they use for blasting debris off the inside of
some kind of process chamber?

I'm trying to remember what the hell it was, but I remember seeing somewhere,
a special shotgun which used special loads just to blow off crusty deposits on the inside of some sort of tank/chamber.... you couldn't really get into the tank with tools, but using a gun to blow the deposits away apparently was a
viable option.

-Mike
I think you're referring to a slag gun - check out US patent 4220317

Back
Top Bottom