• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

up for grabs; SMALL PRIMER .45 ACP brass; dirty

allen-1

NES Member
Just finished sorting .45ACP brass and I've got about 120 pieces that are small primer.
This is mostly from range pickup, it's dirty, hasn't been de-primed, and has been given a first "lookover" as I went through them, no obvious bad cases.

First person to post "in", or "I want", or something similar can have them.

If you see that you're the first person, PM me with a mailing address.
I'm going to the Post Office tomorrow around noon and I'll send these out.
Shipping's on me; I don't want to just throw these away if someone can use them.

I have recently been pick up more and more small primer .45 on the ground . Originally I was just squeezing them in a vice so I wouldn't mix them with my stash, now I toss them in a jar for POSSIBLE reloads. ( To be clear I still Hate small primer .45's , JUST for the record)

I’m going to guess that large primer .45 is slowly going extinct now that manufacturers have figured out that there is no need for it with today’s components. Last couple of unsorted 45 range brass acquisitions I have made have been majority small primer.

I have plenty of each and load both. Haven’t noticed any difference in performance between the two though I’m not going to be loading any sp .45 brass until this current shitstorm passes.

I’m going to guess that large primer .45 is slowly going extinct now that manufacturers have figured out that there is no need for it with today’s components. Last couple of unsorted 45 range brass acquisitions I have made have been majority small primer.

I'm thinking modularity (if thats not an actual word then I just made it up) from a production standpoint.
Is the firing pin out of say, a Glock 21 the same diameter as whats in Glock-insert any 9mm? Same length?
The old 1911's had 2 different pins, but does anything made now all run the same size?

If a large primer sets off with a smaller pin, then I can see them leaning towards small primer mass production.

Was the original .45 acp designed with a small primer (the lead round nose)? or maybe I'm having flashbacks of an article I never read, kind of like the concerts I can't remember.

Nothing worse than cranking the press and having a small primer case infiltrate.
Small-primer .45 ACP is spawn of Satan. NASTY stuff, for the reason just stated.

The swager on the 1050 press stops the show if I let one infiltrate, followed by a PITA to clear it out (concluding by crushing the offending case with a pair of pliers before tossing it).

I always keep a few large primer .45 cases next to the 650. If a small primer case sneaks by me and stops the press, I just replace it with a large and keep going.

Back
Top Bottom