• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upcoming Mass Gun Control hearings...

CWulf

NES Member
Sorry to ruin your day but I saw this on AR15.com posted by SevenMMmag -

Unless you have been living under a rock lately, you know that our state legislators have proposed dozens of gun control bills. They surely will not be outdone by NY, CT, and CA. Please see the link below for a summary of the bad bills:
Bills Currently Filed at MA State House

A (very) brief summary of the current proposed bills:
- 7 round magazine limit
- outlawing of legally owned pre-ban magazines
- one gun per month
- mandatory liability insurance
- mandatory off-site storage of guns
- 25% tax on guns and ammo

It is very likely that there will be even more gun control/bans to be brought up as the MA gun control task force that was formed a couple of months ago begin wrapping up their findings and begin proposing their own recommendations.

" From GOAL's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GunOwnersActionLeague), the times and locations for the upcoming public hearings on the proposed gun control bills are being announced:

Heads up! Gun Hearings Scheduled!

GOAL has just been made aware of the first two “gun hearings” that will be held by the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. These first hearings are scheduled to take place outside the State House. We are being told that they may be two more of these around the state to be scheduled later.

Cape Cod Community College at noon on Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Assumption College in Worcester Wednesday, June 26, 2013

There will be an extensive list of bills, reported over 60, that will be heard at these outside hearings.

As more detailed information is provided, we will alert our members. We will be encouraging our members to attend your local hearing, provide written testimony and to speak if you are comfortable doing so.

Murder rate in MA has doubled since 1997 but is down about 40% for the US over the same period. Most of the country sees gun rights improve during those years and an improvement in murder rate. MA is the perfect test case for failed gun control since the 1998 legislation.

"Outside the State House"?!?... WTF is up with that?

I can see it probably working more to our advantage as the areas outside 495 tend to be more 2ndA friendly (more of our people likely to attend), but I highly doubt it was planned with that in mind.

Anyone know if this is a common practice?

Anyone know if this is a common practice?

The rationale is that turnout will be high, and this is an important enough issue that people all over the state should be able to weigh in without driving 100 miles into the city.

It should be interesting to see what kind of anti turnout they get given how little there has been so far. I'm sure ACORN and OFA will bus thousands up from NYC to represent the interests of MA voters and that Bloomberg will provide gas money for all the suburban moms who have to drive their Mercedes SUVs all the way 'to town' to have their voices heard.

The cynical side of me thinks summer hearings is good. All the liberals will be vacationing in Vermont or Maine and might miss it.

All the liberals are on the Cape I'm the summer. Should be interesting. I lived on the Vineyard for 20 years and never won an election on that island.

The rationale is that turnout will be high, and this is an important enough issue that people all over the state should be able to weigh in without driving 100 miles into the city.

It should be interesting to see what kind of anti turnout they get given how little there has been so far. I'm sure ACORN and OFA will bus thousands up from NYC to represent the interests of MA voters and that Bloomberg will provide gas money for all the suburban moms who have to drive their Mercedes SUVs all the way 'to town' to have their voices heard.

The cynical side of me thinks summer hearings is good. All the liberals will be vacationing in Vermont or Maine and might miss it.

Hmmm... looking at Google maps the chosen locations also make it more convenient for Sandy Hook bed wetters to attend, and it's a safe bet, some will be there.

A (very) brief summary of the current proposed bills:
- 7 round magazine limit
- outlawing of legally owned pre-ban magazines
- one gun per month
- mandatory liability insurance
- mandatory off-site storage of guns
- 25% tax on guns and ammo

What is meant by off-site storage of guns? Off what site?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

What is meant by off-site storage of guns? Off what site?

The proposal is that any and all 'high capacity' firearms will have to be stored at a state-approved facility such as a gun club. You will not be allowed to keep them at your house. You can only transport them from the club to a gunsmith or to a competition at another club. Makes confiscation much easier, and helps the gun runners know where to find thousands of unattended AR's and AK's.

Ill be at work but ill mention it at work, maybe theyll make the drive seeing as its a gun company.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Well if they are going to outlaw the preban mags I already own - I guess I don;t need to worry about buying 20 year old mags anymore. P-Mags here I come. Maybe I'll take a shit on my old pre-bans and mail them to Linsky's office.

Well if they are going to outlaw the preban mags I already own - I guess I don;t need to worry about buying 20 year old mags anymore. P-Mags here I come. Maybe I'll take a shit on my old pre-bans and mail them to Linsky's office.

THIS^. If this law passes I aint sticking around to see how it plays out. They can eat a dick. I'm going someplace where my rights don't get shit on by petty tyrants every day of the week.

NO is the answer. I will not comply, I will not bow down to a public servant.

ON EDIT:

Why do they want to make the law abiding criminals. They already infringe far too much - not another step. If they make me a felon with the stroke of a pen - I guess I can buy anything from NH I want, jail is jail. Furthermore, why not go full ticket and obtain a nice 'off the books' NFA item???

Mr Linsky - if you are reading this - WHY SHOULDN'T I???? If I do nothing, keep MY CURRENT, LEGAL property, I go to jail, why shouldn't I have some fun?

Last edited:
I swore an oath to the constitution, not MAs raped version of it. I wont violate that oath by supporting unconstitutional laws through compliance. Bring it, I'm applying to grad school in free America anyway.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks in advance to anyone considering attending these hearings. I intend to go to at least 2, and want to testify.

Please folks, if you can only attend just one if these hearings, it is important that you do so. Consider taking advantage of the opportunity to testify, because you know all those that oppose are certainly going to have their say. If "we" cannot muster at least an equal response, the many different results will end up being awful.

I can only think of those that fought and died to uphold their oath, and now it is our time honor those before us and defend these same rights. You all deserve to have you say, and it would make me proud to see any of you stand up and make your voice heard.

So our brilliant P.O.S. politicians solution to stopping gun violence and theft is to store every semi automatic rifle together. Can you say all you can eat buffet for finding firearms.

Beretta92FS - The storage laws would be for particular long guns only, basically the most common and popular rifles owned today - the AR platforms... along with a select group of other "scary" looking arms.

The idea is that these particularly dangerous weapons (used in less that 2% of all firearm deaths), will no longer be able to be used in crimes. This one to me is absolutely a reaction to Newtown. At the Franklin meeting a very well studied and spoken Prof. Leverentez stated - "Responding based on rare events and fears can create policies that are really problematic". Both Professors stated similar findings in there combined decades of research.

It was also stated in the Franklin meeting that no one hunts with these type of weapons, nor is a good choice for self defense. Nevermind if those OPINIONS are even correct... why is that decision up to anyone besides you and how you deem to protect you and yours?

You all make valid points. You should go to the hearings and have your voices heard.

*thanks mlaboss for the Professors quote above - I knew you had quoted it in a different thread.

Beretta92FS - The storage laws would be for particular long guns only, basically the most common and popular rifles owned today - the AR platforms... along with a select group of other "scary" looking arms.

The idea is that these particularly dangerous weapons (used in less that 2% of all firearm deaths), will no longer be able to be used in crimes. This one to me is absolutely a reaction to Newtown. At the Franklin meeting a very well studied and spoken Prof. Leverentez stated - "Responding based on rare events and fears can create policies that are really problematic". Both Professors stated similar findings in there combined decades of research.

It was also stated in the Franklin meeting that no one hunts with these type of weapons, nor is a good choice for self defense. Nevermind if those OPINIONS are even correct... why is that decision up to anyone besides you and how you deem to protect you and yours?

You all make valid points. You should go to the hearings and have your voices heard.

*thanks mlaboss for the Professors quote above - I knew you had quoted it in a different thread.

It's also worth noting that Sen. Creem's bill (forget the number at this point) would remove "large capacity rifles" from the definition of LTC-A, thereby outlawing them altogether.

Also, it's possible to submit written testimony at these hearings.

The places with the most gun control are the most violent places. mAssachusetts just wants to be #1.

Couple of things to note here.

There is no need for people to testify at multiple hearings, in fact it might be counter productive to show up at every hearing and give the same testimony.

If you are attending, please be sure to print out and bring a signed testimony. Keep it brief and on point, give them small bits that they can easily digest.

Remember this isn't Linsky's traveling propaganda show, these are official public hearings by a committee, the testimony from which will sway the voting committee members.

Mods, if you could merge this and the thread I started it would be great.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom