Upcoming Mass Gun Control hearings...

I have a strategy question.
Should I also write everyone on the committee?
I've written my reps. We have offices in two other towns in MA. Should I write those reps as well? I'm not sure if they care unless it directly relates to employment of constituents.

I have a strategy question.
Should I also write everyone on the committee?
I've written my reps. We have offices in two other towns in MA. Should I write those reps as well? I'm not sure if they care unless it directly relates to employment of constituents.
I've been told more than once that if you write the committee, write both chairs so that it goes on the record.

Can't hurt to write them all.

- - - Updated - - -

I know people who work pretty closely with him, and even they can't stand him.
That's what I don't get about him. As contemptible as many headline politicians like Clinton and Kennedy are/were, the overwhelming majority of people who met them from either side of the political spectrum said the same thing which was they were very nice people to meet in person...

Who votes for this scumbag?

While I know it is not ideal currently no exemption for magazines exists for Reservists and Guard Members, who are often required to bring their gear home with them. I contacted Rep Naughtons office about this (He's a military guy, and I've met him personally before) and they seemed very interested.

Again, I know it doesn't generally help people on this board, but currently all reservists and guard members are ****ed if they are caught with the magazines many units mandate they bring home...

Mike

While I know it is not ideal currently no exemption for magazines exists for Reservists and Guard Members, who are often required to bring their gear home with them. I contacted Rep Naughtons office about this (He's a military guy, and I've met him personally before) and they seemed very interested.

Again, I know it doesn't generally help people on this board, but currently all reservists and guard members are ****ed if they are caught with the magazines many units mandate they bring home...

Mike

Seems like there's an easy solution: Refuse to bring them home and tell them why. Let the .mil/guard fight that fight for you if they're so inclined.

Mike

I think any inch a gun owner in MA can gain is helpful, so I'm glad to see you push this angle.

Is it an inch for MA gun owners, or another step toward further dividing the people into different classes of treatment where guns are concerned?

I can see it both ways, but just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.

Seems like there's an easy solution: Refuse to bring them home and tell them why. Let the .mil/guard fight that fight for you if they're so inclined.

The fact of the matter is that will not happen. 99.9% of them think they are exempt/immune, as they should be. The other few don't care. Also, while possibly technically an "unlawful order" as it asks you to violate state law, good luck to any new private who refuses to do something as simple as keep track of their gear. Military policy/culture will not allow for that. Rep Naughton is an O4 or O5... so he can push the issue, I just made him aware of it.

Hey in my email to him I stated I'd like to see all restrictions removed... That said this one was kind of "looking out for the guys" so to speak.

Mike

Last edited:
I finally submitted my written testimony to the committee via email.

Dear Members of the Public Safety Committee

I am writing you to submit for your review, a written copy of the testimony I gave verbally to the Committee on Friday, September 13th 2013. This testimony is in opposition to the gun control bills before the committee that infringe on the Second Amendment. This testimony is in support of the G.O.A.L. supported bills, H.3264, H.3266, H.3267, H.3268, H.3269, H.3270, H.3271, H.2181, H.2182, H.3272, H.3273, H.2183, H.2184, H.3274, H.2145, H.3275, H.3276.

I am grateful to those committee members who stayed on throughout the hearing to listen to those of us who did not receive preferred placement in the order of testimony because of affiliations with larger groups. My testimony was not given until nearly 7:00 PM to a room that was mostly deserted and almost completely devoid of anyone who had spoken in favor of new restrictions.

I will embrace any opportunity to speak to any committee member(s) who have questions or would like to discuss my testimony further.

My testimony follows;

MA Public Safety Meeting Testimony

I was first here in 2010, and again in 2011 to testify about Massachusetts gun laws. Then, as now, I think we can all agree that something must be done to help stop gun violence. No one should be the victim of some deranged person who is determined to cause pain and suffering to another, be it through the use of a gun, or any other means. Now, I am here to testify again, this time, gravely concerned that the rights of law abiding citizens will be trampled on in the name of public safety.

Common Sense is a phrase frequently used by those pushing bills to create new restrictions and bans on firearms and ammunition. With all the laws that exist today, coupled with the level of crimes, common sense tells me that more restrictive laws are not the answer.

Criminals, by definition, do not follow laws. No law stopped recently convicted felon, Whitey Bulger, from having a virtual arsenal of guns, all of which must have been obtained illegally, given his fugitive status.

Criminals buy and sell guns illegally, without government checks. Criminals buy and sell 30 round magazines and don’t care about some kind of ammunition capacity law that is supposed to make their intended victims feel safe.

I ask the members of the committee, as well as those in the gallery, ‘isn’t common sense being able to read and understand a simple written sentence? For example, “A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Doesn’t common sense tell us that new laws here in Massachusetts will not stop criminals from committing violent acts, or importing guns illegally for illegal sale to other criminals? Members of the committee, I urge you to use common sense and not pass any of these new restrictive proposed bills. Instead, work to eliminate the reasons people turn to violence and crime and imprison those that break the existing laws.

Sincerely
(My Name and Address)

Here are all the email addresses of the committee members also:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Last edited:
WTF!

I just got a failed message delivery notification from EVERY address I sent to
Recipient address: [email protected]
Reason: Server rejected MAIL FROM address.
Diagnostic code: smtp;554 5.3.0 Domain/IP address is blocked by the reputation server.
Remote system: dns;bos-mailsec-002.state.ma.us (TCP|206.46.173.3|48574|146.243.97.8|25)

I sent the email directly from Verizon's email web page. Is this saying that VERIZON servers are blocked from sending mail to MA.gov?

Sent a message through the 'contact us' page to ask WTF also.
https://malegislature.gov/Site/Contact

Last edited:
WTF!

I sent the email directly from Verizon's email web page. Is this saying that VERIZON servers are blocked from sending mail to MA.gov?

Government shutdown? I kid, I kid...

I sent all of them emails weeks ago and had no issues.

WTF!

I would print out hard copies and physically mail it to them.

There is an NES member who used to be an aide to them a while back who made a thread about this very topic. He said they get hundreds of emails a day on a huge number of topics and most all of them are read by aides and given canned responses. Very few actually get to the representatives themselves.

He said physical letters addressed to the individual, and phone calls, are more useful and influential.

//Rep Naughton is an O4 or O5... so he can push the issue, I just made him aware of it.

Hey in my email to him I stated I'd like to see all restrictions removed... That said this one was kind of "looking out for the guys" so to speak.

Mike
O4. He made comments at the Wilmington hearing to the effect "Why the hell would anyone want to wear body armor?" And I thought - there is a man who has spent some time in LPC's.....

I would print out hard copies and physically mail it to them.

There is an NES member who used to be an aide to them a while back who made a thread about this very topic. He said they get hundreds of emails a day on a huge number of topics and most all of them are read by aides and given canned responses. Very few actually get to the representatives themselves.

He said physical letters addressed to the individual, and phone calls, are more useful and influential.
That's good as I just mailed to everyone on the committee, my reps, and interested business people.

Three of the people on the committee are from Springfield or nearby.

While I know it is not ideal currently no exemption for magazines exists for Reservists and Guard Members...

On the one hand, I see your point, and would like to take any opening possible to improve our lot. On the other, I disagree with the idea of any exemptions for anybody.

Plus, it is right there in our Constitution:
1780 Massachusetts: The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

On the one hand, I see your point, and would like to take any opening possible to improve our lot. On the other, I disagree with the idea of any exemptions for anybody.

Plus, it is right there in our Constitution:

I agree... but as a statement of fact there are hundreds of 18 year olds being sent home by military authorities in felony posession of magazines... furthermore many go out and buy magazines accross state lines prior to deployments. So until the state completely pulls their head out of their ass Id like to see some protection for the young and innocent, instead of just "retired cops."

I mentioned specifically A. That magazines shouldn't be restricted period and B. That it is asanine that retired cops are protected and not actively drilling infantrymen. I also stated how I see the safety of a retired cop as no more important than my own.

I promise guys Im fighting the good fight, I call my legislators, I testify at hearings... just reporting on the latest

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Sent a total of 21 letters: 17 to the committee, two to my reps, the Governor, some industry reps, and GOAL. I detailed objections to H47 and h3252 in two letters, and referenced additional bills to the governor.

You know, I wonder if we will be getting an email on short notice that there is a hearing about a new gun bill that is being rammed through. Doesn't that ALWAYS seem to happen around this time of year?

Maybe it would make sense to review what went right and what went wrong at past hearings, and actually PREPARE for the inevitable NEXT hearing. Does anyone else think this makes sense? Would people be interested in getting together and brainstorming ideas? Do you think GOAL would be interested in hosting this? If not, I could ask my club if they would be interested.

Thoughts?

^^ Yup. Even Mike Moore, who was supposed to be on our side, will leave after the introductions, and come back 10% of the time for the conclusion/wrapup. We need to do a better job of convincing our "friends" to stick with us.

Back
Top Bottom