Update. Framingham licensing

The "send it certified" accomplishes nothing unless you are willing to retain legal (or convince an org like comm2a to do it) to follow up. Your assertions that you "applied" will be met with "no, you did not". The PD will not respond with "Guess your outsmarted us, we'll get that into MIRCS right away".

Your attorney would need to either get a court order forcing the PD to formally accept the application, or alternatively, wait the 40 days and file a denial appeal in district court and no action in 40 days may be considered a denial and basis for an appeal.

The first obstacle your attorney will face is overcoming the chief's argument you have not applied until (s)he accepts it. If you don't hear "dismissed, next case please", your attorney will ask the court to order the license issued. The chief will the object stating (s)has not had any time to do the background check and the court will grant the chief what it considers a suitable amount of time ... or just rule that the applicant has to wait until your name comes up in the waiting list.

The "send it certified" accomplishes nothing unless you are willing to retain legal (or convince an org like comm2a to do it) to follow up. Your assertions that you "applied" will be met with "no, you did not". The PD will not respond with "Guess your outsmarted us, we'll get that into MIRCS right away".

Your attorney would need to either get a court order forcing the PD to formally accept the application, or alternatively, wait the 40 days and file a denial appeal in district court and no action in 40 days may be considered a denial and basis for an appeal.

The first obstacle your attorney will face is overcoming the chief's argument you have not applied until (s)he accepts it. If you don't hear "dismissed, next case please", your attorney will ask the court to order the license issued. The chief will the object stating (s)has not had any time to do the background check and the court will grant the chief what it considers a suitable amount of time ... or just rule that the applicant has to wait until your name comes up in the waiting list.
Lol "lawz"

What a strange place we live in

Then I recommend crying about it on a discussion board.

Just asking questions for a friend ass breath. Thanks for the advice that I already said they DONT DO. STFU if you ain’t got nothing to help with.
PR*CK

It never takes long for NES to deliver…

Even at 3 months it is worth the wait. Tell him to "press on" and stay in good cheer.

In the meantime, take him shooting, take him shopping, help him decide what his first purchase will be.

Also, a "good" friend would buy the gun he wants and hold/shoot it with him until licensed... I would for the "right" friend...

Has anyone actually tried to beat the piss out of towns that turtle like this though? (eg, by lawyering up etc).

Not that I think its the best way to spend money... but its still an obvious problem.

OP, I'm a former Framingham resident, and was deeply involved in town politics.
And I'll I will say is, watch your back! They've been known to do what I'll call a "soft denial", basically talking people out of apply. Making it difficult to apply, and obviously not meeting the deadline. They've also appointed a Prohibited Person as Licensing Officer in the past, not sure he still is, don't think so, I haven't kept up since moving to a free state.

Not saying they won't give your friend an LTC, just be careful if you push, they take it personally.

And I'll I will say is, watch your back! They've been known to do what I'll call a "soft denial", basically talking people out of apply. Making it difficult to apply, and obviously not meeting the deadline. They've also appointed a Prohibited Person as Licensing Officer in the past, not sure he still is, don't think so, I haven't kept up since moving to a free state.

Not saying they won't give your friend an LTC, just be careful if you push, they take it personally.
This is borderline...

Is 3 months wait worth it to stay nice with your local PD?

Or do you want to spend a few thousand dollars to speed things up and put a target on your back?

I’m really not sure what the fuss is about.

Follow the website instructions. Print them off and bring them with your application. If they refuse to take the application at the front desk show them the printed website.

If they claim their own website is wrong ask them when the policy changed and ask if it’s documented anywhere so you can find it.

This is borderline...

Is 3 months wait worth it to stay nice with your local PD?

Or do you want to spend a few thousand dollars to speed things up and put a target on your back?
Ya, they are pretty good at playing the margins.
The Eurie Stamps thing and the 2 officers stealing cash from the evidence room, not so much in the margins. Oh and that the Chief refuses to put cameras in the cars, let alone body cams, what you can't prove won't hurt them.
And why do they keep a full time attorney on staff, not a prosecutor, not the city council, their own lawyer to represent the officers in court.

If you're not prepared for an expensive legal battle, then yes, just go along. You'll probably get it.

I have another friend who just got his in Framingham. He said the same. Took him 2 months to get the interview and 4 months to get a license. And wasn’t easy to get the interview.

Oh well. Thanks all. Thank god I don’t live there.

It's a douche town for sure, sad because it's so institutional, quite obviously.... they haven't had a good shellacking so they keep pushing BS.

It's a douche town for sure, sad because it's so institutional, quite obviously.... they haven't had a good shellacking so they keep pushing BS.
Not from the town, so I don't know anything about the players, but it would seem to me that being a city, with an elected Mayor, it might make sense to start at the top.

Again, know nothing about the city, but it occurs to me that if the town was a festering cesspool of "antis" it wouldn't be "Green". A quick read of the Mayor's Bio would lead me to believe he is a life long administrator. If enough people contact his office about these delays, he may have a conversation with the COP about what is causing these delays. It may be a waste of time, but sending an email or frequent emails may get a little attention. If it were sent by an attorney on behalf of multiple residents, it may get more.
Just a thought.

It's probably borne of ergophobia combined with not seeing license processing as important. The chief decides how much staff time to dedicate to the process rather than allocate staff based on the need for the service.

They will always have time to do something to you, but ration the time available to do something for you. It's like cable TV - long holds on calls for service; prompt pickup on the sales and new installs line.

"We accept $100 cash only; no personal checks"
Suspicious

Yeah. It's a bursar's issue, not a suspicious thing.

suspicious-dont-be.gif

We had the same thing with boat permits. The city didn't like the water inspector collecting cash. They had A SINGLE CHECK BOUNCE. And that was too much for the staff to handle so it was MO only for a LONG time. Over a decade. The Water dept guy was always apologetic. Towns get stupid like that. You get one old biddie that gets her granny-panties in a knot and no one says BOO to her.

Just asking questions for a friend ass breath. Thanks for the advice that I already said they DONT DO. STFU if you ain’t got nothing to help with.
PR*CK
While I enjoyed your thoughtful response and would normally respond in kind, I have to ask: did your friend actually try to turn in the application during the hours posted?

Not from the town, so I don't know anything about the players, but it would seem to me that being a city, with an elected Mayor, it might make sense to start at the top.

Again, know nothing about the city, but it occurs to me that if the town was a festering cesspool of "antis" it wouldn't be "Green". A quick read of the Mayor's Bio would lead me to believe he is a life long administrator. If enough people contact his office about these delays, he may have a conversation with the COP about what is causing these delays. It may be a waste of time, but sending an email or frequent emails may get a little attention. If it were sent by an attorney on behalf of multiple residents, it may get more.
Just a thought.
It is definitely a festering cesspools of antis, I was deep into it when it was a town. Out of the 264 member Town meeting there were 3 that weren't radically anti, The one woman who openly declared she was a Republican, the token Libertarian who was more neutral than pro, and myself.
I had a conversation with a fellow town meeting member, ran for something last election, who openly stated that Maura Healey's declaration was overreach and outside her authority but added "that doesn't matter as long as it accomplishes our goal" This is a long time and "respected" person in town/city gov.
BTW this same person works the elections, think about the opportunities she would have with that total lack of a moral compass.

The only reason you don't hear about their anti attitude is that they have 100% coverage in the city gov, there is no controversy, they all agree, gun owners are bad.

And the CoP's contract is "strong", he's not accountable to anyone. They couldn't fire him if they wanted to.

While I enjoyed your thoughtful response and would normally respond in kind, I have to ask: did your friend actually try to turn in the application during the hours posted?
I wasn’t with him personally but he said after his phone conversation he went in the next business day with application , residence proof and cash and was told licensing wasn’t in and he needed a appointment anyway and he would have to call back and make an appt
He’s not a rich guy and can’t afford a lawer. Doesn’t want to ruffle any feathers. So he’s just going to wait. Thing is they won’t even give him an appt in 3 months. He was told they are too backed up and to call back in February to make his appointment
Poor guy. Better hon than me I guess. 🤣

I wasn’t with him personally but he said after his phone conversation he went in the next business day with application , residence proof and cash and was told licensing wasn’t in and he needed a appointment anyway and he would have to call back and make an appt
For what it's worth: I just tried calling Lt. McCarthy in the licensing bureau and just got voicemail. Try showing up on Thursday between 9-12 or 1-3. Those are hours specifically carved out for fingerprints for LTC and other licenses.

For what it's worth: I just tried calling Lt. McCarthy in the licensing bureau and just got voicemail. Try showing up on Thursday between 9-12 or 1-3. Those are hours specifically carved out for fingerprints for LTC and other licenses.
I will let him know that is very helpful. Thank you

He’s not a rich guy and can’t afford a lawer. Doesn’t want to ruffle any feathers. So he’s just going to wait. Thing is they won’t even give him an appt in 3 months. He was told they are too backed up and to call back in February to make his appointment
Poor guy. Better hon than me I guess. 🤣
remember that soft denial thing I mentioned.

be persistent, follow THEIR rules and eventually he'll probably get it. As long as he has no history with the police.

remember that soft denial thing I mentioned.

be persistent, follow THEIR rules and eventually he'll probably get it. As long as he has no history with the police.
Thanks bud. He’s going to go in tomorrow with everything in hand and hopefully he sees lt mcarthy. Thanks for all your guys help

Back
Top Bottom