Update: Passed my General. Thanks all.

2A_Esq.

NES Member
NES Member
Thanks for the tips. You guys were right, I ready and did well.

Passed my Tech and General exams tonight. [smile]

Not trying to gloat, just excited. My grandfather passed away about 15 years ago, and was studying for his general license when he got sick. As a kid, I would always beg him to show me his radios and get on the air when I was over. I have his old rig now (an old Kenwood TS-520S) and this makes me feel a bit closer to him.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for the encouragement.

Last edited:
You'll do fine! I crammed for two weekends and took a few practice tests and was able to sail through both exams without trouble.
They twisted my arm a bit to take the Extra Exam to make it a hat trick but I declined as I knew it would be a waste of time. That's on my agenda for next winter.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby! My interest in radio has been driven by the desire to have alternative comms in the event of an emergency. I know you will enjoy the capabilities you'll gain by getting the license.

Cheers!

Nice job! Passing Tech and General in one sitting happens, but not every day. That's a nice accomplishment.

I especilly like your motivations. You can get vanity call signs. You might consider looking to see if your grandfather's is available. Even if his isn't from the "1" call area you can still get it. The president of our ham club got his late dad's and it's an area 4 call.

That Kenwood is a nice rig and gets great reviews on eHam. It should serve you well.

Nice job! Passing Tech and General in one sitting happens, but not every day. That's a nice accomplishment.

I especilly like your motivations. You can get vanity call signs. You might consider looking to see if your grandfather's is available. Even if his isn't from the "1" call area you can still get it. The president of our ham club got his late dad's and it's an area 4 call.

That Kenwood is a nice rig and gets great reviews on eHam. It should serve you well.

Thank you. I have looked into getting a vanity call sign of his old call (N1GML), and it is not (re)issued to anyone yet. From what I can tell, it hasn't been released by the FCC yet (still in recycled limbo), but I can apply for an exemption as a close family member.

Once I'm listed on the FCC website, I'll be putting in for it.

a little late but congrats.
had a few 520's nice mellow sound, a bit drifty until warm and some qrm on a busy band but still a very good radio.
very low noise floor to hear the week ones,no digital noise like modern stuff.
the 830s was a step up and amazing for it's tme and still performs well against today's stuff with it's variable band width tuning.
had a 520 with the DC transformer on the back and ran it mobile in my old truck with a screwdriver ant.
i had it bolted to the hump with a metal strap. it stood at a 45* angle with the bottom edge of the face on the frt edge of my seat.
the good ol days..

Back
Top Bottom