**UPDATED - gun replaced**. My Dan Wesson 357 is toast.

DW357

NES Member
Well my Monson, MA DW 715 is completely toast. The barrel split which unfortunately split the frame😭😭😭😭
I am beyond pissed at myself (because I had considered replacing the barrel since the throat was eroded only after 1500ish rounds) and at DW. I had been in contact with Bob at DW expressing my concerns with the barrel throat getting eroded and he said:

“Andrew, This seems to be the new normal on barrel wear, I have been told it’s because of the recycling of the steel. I don’t know, I’ve seen barrels with thousands of rounds through them with no wear and then some with hundreds of rounds with wear. Heavy hunting loads and hand loads will cause erosion but I have seen this with target loads also. I have been told they are safe to shoot and will last, they just don’t look like the will . I realize I haven’t answered your question but that’s the best I have at this time. Keep me posted on how it performs and if it gets any worse.”

So because of their shitty QC on the steel I’m out a $800+ gun that is next to impossible to get in this state.

Not to sound entitled but the amount of money I’ve given DW on custom shrouds and action work, I feel like I should get a discount on one of their new 715’s and/or at no cost.

So pissed.

I had also been in contact with someone on the Dan Wesson forum who is having the same issues with the erosion and purchased a barrel the same time I did (July 2019) and he also said that his first Dan Wesson revolver blew up because the barrel wasn’t heat treated. I’ve got a couple emails to him asking what Dan Wesson did to resolve that but haven’t heard back yet

@dhuze now you can really say I broke a gun officially!! [rofl]
It definitely seems like my barrel wasn’t heat treated either. Any metallurgists here??
E7C2F138-887B-47A1-BFD2-A6C3CCD3D09B.jpeg
84CF6C01-5090-43BC-8634-29A18F15E5A8.jpeg
CB359818-859B-4067-83AA-7BB3D97DD9A9.jpeg
8348414F-E7F2-43EB-8680-F669A2A89BCF.jpeg

Oh no! Would they not cover that under warranty?
It’s a 30+ year old gun. Not one of their new 715’s so no warranty unfortunately. But seeing that it’s a barrel bought last year and hasn’t seen many rounds and he admitted via email that there’s some steel issues that’s utter bullshit if I have to be on the hook

It’s a 30+ year old gun. Not one of their new 715’s so no warranty unfortunately. But seeing that it’s a barrel bought last year and hasn’t seen many rounds and he admitted via email that there’s some steel issues that’s utter bullshit if I have to be on the hook
Every brand name revolver should be warranted for life IMHO

If it’s a new barrel and they told you it was fine to shoot after you contacted them, they damn well better make it right.
Exactly!!! Okay so I’m not being too demanding then. Glad to have some confirmation from others.

I’ve literally given them thousands of dollars in work over the years so I really hope they don’t tell me to pound sand

Exactly!!! Okay so I’m not being too demanding then. Glad to have some confirmation from others.

I’ve literally given them thousands of dollars in work over the years so I really hope they don’t tell me to pound sand

Exactly. It’s a new barrel that they supplied that failed and took out the frame. They should be tripping over themselves to make it right.

Bob

Exactly. It’s a new barrel that they supplied that failed and took out the frame. They should be tripping over themselves to make it right.

Bob
And they can argue all day long about me using reloads but it would’ve been very tough for me to overcharge that round using 2400 powder under a 158 gr JHP. I look at the cases before seating a bullet. I would’ve needed powder pretty much overflowing which would’ve made it impossible to seat the bullet

There’s a member here on NES that emailed me and said his blew up because of a heat treatment issue. I don’t know what his username is
BAA80B32-22EB-47FF-86CE-46FBF1415F5A.pngD4A28212-8A91-437F-A752-0462C26F851B.png

I’m trying to figure out the best way to proceed if I should keep it via email so everything is documented or give them a call. And how to word my email as do not piss them off and make them not fix it. I think I should email Bob as well as the Dan Wesson president

And they can argue all day long about me using reloads but it would’ve been very tough for me to overcharge that round using 2400 powder under a 158 gr JHP. I look at the cases before seating a bullet. I would’ve needed powder pretty much overflowing which would’ve made it impossible to seat the bullet
Overcharge should have blown the cylinder not the barrel

DUDE, WTF!!! .... that s*cks.

And WTF is that answer they gave you?

"Yes, our barrels suck, they split, even with light target loads".

What a POS product. That should be covered under warranty, specially since it is a factory defect acknowledged by them via Email.

You are not being too demanding. They are manufacturing a defective product. They know they are, it was acknowledged on Email. They told you to keep shooting it.

If they give a damn about their customers, they will fix it.

If they don't fix it, post it on Instagram and hashtag every single revolver manufacturer, USPSA, Steel challenge. Bullseye, NRA, holster companies... make sure it appears on as many accounts as possible.

DUDE, WTF!!! .... that s*cks.

And WTF is that answer they gave you?

"Yes, our barrels suck, they split, even with light target loads".

What a POS product. That should be covered under warranty, specially since it is a factory defect acknowledged by them via Email.
SPOT ON!
I’m really hoping all of that email documentation will save my ass

You are not being too demanding. They are manufacturing a defective product. They know they are, it was acknowledged on Email. They told you to keep shooting it.

If they give a damn about their customers, they will fix it.

If they don't fix it, post it on Instagram and hashtag every single revolver manufacturer, USPSA, Steel challenge. Bullseye, NRA, holster companies... make sure it appears on as many accounts as possible.
I just need to carefully craft an email to Bob and Keith. I think email is better that way I can bring up Bob's previous email saying its fine to keep shooting etc.

Glad you didn't get hurt man.
Yeah it was no biggie. I took 2 shots (after shooting ~40 rounds prior) then noticed I couldn't rotate the cylinder/pull the trigger. I saw the barrel cracked and was like oh that sucks I guess I'll need a new barrel. Then I saw the frame and basically wanted to cry 😂

Back
Top Bottom