• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

upgrading rifles

little back story, a while ago I purchased a Savage axis in 243 (the package rifle in camo) and it has worked pretty well! it shoots 1" @100 with its favorite load of 70-80 grain Remington factory ammo if I do my part.

Now comes tax time and I will have a little bit more money to throw around and I want to upgrade to an over all nicer gun. I will be staying with the .243 win cambering, its my favorite.

For me it is between the Savage model 11:
Savage Arms

or a used Ruger M77 Mark II Target in 243. (just checked rugers site and they no longer make one in 243 brandie new).

Guns primary purpose is punching paper at distance, so weight really isn't an issue.

any thoughts? is there something better out there for the money?

Dom

I would personally go with the Ruger because its used it will save you some money. I would put that money into buying some glass and a bipod for it. I would wait until all of the "AWB/(Price Jacking on anything they can thing)" is over because you will have to over pay to get it even if its a bolt gun. Best of luck

Or you can get a REM 700 ADL with a heavy barrel and scope mounts for $150 less than the savage and upgrade as you go/need. The 700 is the action with the most possible accessories/aftermarket parts out there.
GunsAmmo_VarmintRifles - Dick's Sporting Goods

Just a thought. But if you are hellbent on the 2 you mentioned, I think Savage is always a safe bet.

thats the best thing frenchman, im not really hell bent on anything. I just want to take a step up in quality and fitment as well as possibly a more accurate gun, but to be honest i have a sour taste in my mouth from two rem 700s in recent times. So i am a little skeptical on the Rems, but other than that I am open to ideas.

Dom

What kind of money are we talking here? Just a ballpark, for the rifle and mount+rings?

Well, if you can make her love you this month, and you don't trust REM, then here you go:
$915 without the scope and bipod:
Sniper Central - Howa 1500 Entry Package

BTW, I think for a target rifle, you're better up with the MK2 stock. No price change for the MK2. Just select "no scope" and "no bipod" on the site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom