• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS hired people to deliver in their personal vehicles.

MassPete

NES Member
Just a heads up. My "Mini Mags" from Target Sports were just delivered by a guy in a BMW. Thankfully I was home and caught him in time. He was heading back to his vehicle with my package by the time I got outside. This must be connected to the vaccine distribution and Holidays... Wanted to let you guys know, so you don't draw on the delivery driver.. My first response was, "Who the fvck is this!!"

[smile]

they've been doing this for weeks as far as I know. Most of our recent deliveries have been from people in personal vehicles. Amazon does this as well.

Last edited:
Guy in real nice F-150 just delivered here in pouring rain. Parked in street and walked up our long driveway. Thanked me for having my house number in big font over front door.

It's funny when they hand you the box and say, "This is really heavy." [rofl]

At my old job, another of "our people" got a delivery from TSUSA. FedEx ground kid, knew it was ammo, despite the discreet package.. "It's heavy, it rattles, and it's from Connecticut," he told me.

UPS has entered the "gig" economy. It started last year. I think they are called PVD's or personal vehicle drivers. I think we pay them 20 bucks an hour to take stops and record them with an app on their cell phone. Worked pretty good last year.
Sounds like a decent part time job....

Met one last year delivering from his little pickup truck. He was an older retired gentleman, said he was making "fishin' boat money". He said UPS paid better than Amazon. Remember last year Amazon had this thing where you could sign up for a couple of hours of work from your car via an app on your phone, as well as the subcontractors working from rental vans. Seems like it's going to be a normal thing for UPS around the holidays.

Being a UPS driver was/is a well paying job with great benefits. Now they "gig" it out like Amazon and all the other giants.

Replacing middle-class jobs with multiple part time or 1099 employees is not a positive for the middle class or the people who work to sell to the middle/upper class.

Of course this is just the start with UPS getting into it. Wonder what the industry will be like in 3 years

Having 4-6 people dividing up what one people made before benefits no one but My Bezos

Last edited:
Amazon and UPS both have been using personal cars for a while here.

And why do they all insist on walking straight through the yard? My driveway and walk are perfectly clear of snow, but yet, they still trudge through the yard to get to my front porch.

The gig people will never replace the regular ground drivers. They're just holiday temps. The idea was to spread the work out more so drivers weren't going out with 300 stops and having to bring them back if they were going over the Dot cap for hours. It works out good for lifer union guys like me though. The company pays into the health and pension fund for every hour they work. Then they leave and the union keeps the money.
I hope it works out for you but I have doubt in the long term intentions of UPS

Please don't draw down on delivery people.
Not if they have more ammo than you do...

Amazon and UPS both have been using personal cars for a while here.

And why do they all insist on walking straight through the yard? My driveway and walk are perfectly clear of snow, but yet, they still trudge through the yard to get to my front porch.
On Long Island back in the day, houses had cesspools -
not piped sewers, and not septic tanks/leaching fields.
(It was all sand, so it perked instantly).

The neighborhood was old enough that they were stacked blocks,
not precast sections.
Every few years, one on our block would collapse;
big stinky crater in a neighbor's lawn.

The USPS mail carrier used to cut across the front yard after dropping off the mail.

My father commented, "he'll learn not to do that if the cesspool collapses under him".

I hope it works out for you but I have doubt in the long term intentions of UPS

doesnt matter what UPS's intentions are. They have to abide by the contract they have with the union. This time of year is called peak season and the union grants them temporary concessions so they can hire temporary workers. Full time union employees lose nothing, and peak emloyees go away after peak period.

Absolutely nothing new. They have been doing this for years or getting rental vehicles, or hiring uhauls trucks.

My ipad was delivered by a rental V8 Nissan Armada with a FedEx sticker on the back.

The gig people will never replace the regular ground drivers. They're just holiday temps. The idea was to spread the work out more so drivers weren't going out with 300 stops and having to bring them back if they were going over the Dot cap for hours. It works out good for lifer union guys like me though. The company pays into the health and pension fund for every hour they work. Then they leave and the union keeps the money.

like a temp tax increase, you are giving a greedy company some bad ideas, especially that China Joe is making designs to bring in more immigration.

I noticed this with my PS5. Interestingly the PS5 was shipped in less than one day, probably 12 hours. I wonder how they managed to do that? I do think they did this because the theft rate of game consoles by fedex and UPS drivers is nuts.

I noticed this with my PS5. Interestingly the PS5 was shipped in less than one day, probably 12 hours. I wonder how they managed to do that? I do think they did this because the theft rate of game consoles by fedex and UPS drivers is nuts.

I would guess a combination of theft prevention, location with regards to the hubs, and what the company is paying for their shipping contract.

This is the US leg of my Ipad. MHT averages about two Fedex Flights a day from Memphis and Londonderry is a decent sized(for northern New England) regional hub.

Capture.png

One of my Amazon Prime orders was delivered by USPS yesterday. I didn't think Amazon , used the mail anymore.

They will if they run out of capacity..... depends on the region. Now in MA (at least in nocentma) I see amazon vans all the
time. I mean they're probably a subcontractor for amazon, but same diff.

Amazon uses USPS all the time. Their shipping methods equal all of them--very little FedEx though. A lot has to do with your location.

Now in MA (at least in nocentma) I see amazon vans all the
time. I mean they're probably a subcontractor for amazon, but same diff.
free-candy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom