Urgent help needed for deer retrieval

I'll have to discuss the details about a donation, why he does it if he can't charge a fee and any treat for his dog.
All well worth finding out.

How long do you have before the meat is of no use?
Why would someone be a no fee state tracker? Just a hobby?
Tonight cool and clear, it will get down into the low 30's high 20's....the meat should be OK. Although....not ideal, it should be fine. That said if its a gut hit and it sits overnight, nothings gonna smell nice.

Full moon it might be a good night for the dogs to look.......

I don't think you can charge for the tracking service legally due to some game law most likely.

Good advice above.

White heart is belly, lower front chest and possibly inner leg.

Based on your description I agree with the others that it was likely a low belly hit and will likely survive.

At the hit site ALWAYS look for hair as mentioned, but also stomach/stool contents in the blood splatter, and pieces of bone and cartilage. A wealth of information can usually be found there.

Get John Trouts book ”Finding wounded deer” it is also a wealth of information

Good luck,

Bob

Tracker and his dog on way over now...I'll keep everyone informed as to everything that's been brought up on thread. Oh wait that's a lot items!!LOL

Like, will dog pick up a trail, was it a gut shot, still alive or dead. Donation, treat for the dog and anything else that I can add.

Registration station open till 9pm tonight so will see if I get it checked in tonight or will I possibly be up tomorrow morning sitting in a blind waiting for him to try his & my luck again.

NH dog trackers can't charge payment per state regs. The trackers are "volunteers." See page 11 (.pdf 13) of the 2021-22 regs. That being said, its wise to provide a tip in either cash or meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot many deer with slugs. Many leave absolutely no blood at all. It does not mean you missed or even mean you made a bad hit.

Truth. There have been several times I have said to myself “ I can’t believe I missed that shot“ as the deer bounded away as if it hadn’t been hit. I didn’t.

Always, always, always look for evidence of a hit and follow up for EVERY shot. The evidence will be there if it was a hit. You may not find it. But it is there.

Bob

Update:
Tracker showed up at 7pm with his coonhound. We set off to where deer was standing when shot so we could start at the beginning. Dog did a few swirls around and then followed the tracks buck left that I could see this morning right after I shot at it....Dog picked right up on a scent, tracker, his name is Frank, and I were off. I asked if this was a good sign and Frank said I did indeed hit the deer with my shot. Told me that when the deer get hit/hurt they emit scent from between their hoofs. The dogs can pick right up on that scent, however so do the coyotes as they smell a free meal and will hunt that scent as far as they can.
So we followed scent trail for about 80 yards and then we arrived at the water's edge. Dog went into water a few feet and was all over the shrubs nearby as well. Frank said deer went into water and crossed to the small island on other side. Water was to deep & wide for us to walk across. So we tried a few other areas to cross but in the end I had to go and get my small kayak to get across the water. Frank said he would go 1st and then I could let the dog go to him when he called him. Well, dog wouldn't cross the 10' of water. He's a coon hound, so he was a little skinny already plus he has short hair so not a lot of insulation on the little guy, plus the water is very cold. I admit I don't think I would have done it either. So Frank told me to hold onto dog while he searched around.
So after about 1/2hr by himself, Frank returned and said he did not find the deer but that its definitely on that little island.

No deer for me tonight. So game plan moving forward is this: Tomorrow morning I'm in the blind to see if he returns.
If he does, he won't go far this time.
If he doesn't show up, I'll go back to island myself and search during daylight hours. I think I will bring my machete as Frank said it was a little thick with brush over there.
Issues with that is, deer could have been dead for a long time. Meat spoiled, contaminated or coyotes got to him. So it would be a "rack recovery" in my book.

I'll refresh this tomorrow afternoon or sooner if he returns in the am.

Update:
Tracker showed up at 7pm with his coonhound. We set off to where deer was standing when shot so we could start at the beginning. Dog did a few swirls around and then followed the tracks buck left that I could see this morning right after I shot at it....Dog picked right up on a scent, tracker, his name is Frank, and I were off. I asked if this was a good sign and Frank said I did indeed hit the deer with my shot. Told me that when the deer get hit/hurt they emit scent from between their hoofs. The dogs can pick right up on that scent, however so do the coyotes as they smell a free meal and will hunt that scent as far as they can.
So we followed scent trail for about 80 yards and then we arrived at the water's edge. Dog went into water a few feet and was all over the shrubs nearby as well. Frank said deer went into water and crossed to the small island on other side. Water was to deep & wide for us to walk across. So we tried a few other areas to cross but in the end I had to go and get my small kayak to get across the water. Frank said he would go 1st and then I could let the dog go to him when he called him. Well, dog wouldn't cross the 10' of water. He's a coon hound, so he was a little skinny already plus he has short hair so not a lot of insulation on the little guy, plus the water is very cold. I admit I don't think I would have done it either. So Frank told me to hold onto dog while he searched around.
So after about 1/2hr by himself, Frank returned and said he did not find the deer but that its definitely on that little island.

No deer for me tonight. So game plan moving forward is this: Tomorrow morning I'm in the blind to see if he returns.
If he doesn't show up, I'll go back to island myself and search during daylight hours. I think I will bring my machete as Frank said it was a little thick with brush over there.
Issues with that is, deer could have been dead for a long time. Meat spoiled, contaminated or coyotes got to him. So it would be a "rack recovery" in my book.

Yes Sir, "rack recovery"

Thanks for sharing your deer hunt.

How long do you have before the meat is of no use?
Why would someone be a no fee state tracker? Just a hobby?
Should be ok over night if cool, if the yotes don’t get to it first.
Hobby/passion, some guy just love running good tracking hounds. They get as much enjoyment out of it as us nailing a nice trophy buck.

Update:

Not ideal. But great work

Update:

Well done. Buck or doe they deserve your best effort.

I agree with @Dan-o. Don’t count the meat out yet for two reasons.
1. It is probably plenty cold enough to keep.
2. You have no idea when the deer will actually die, if it does.

Dressing a cold deer sux. Hopefully the yotes don’t get it. 🤞🤞

Good luck on the recovery.

Bob

Last edited:
I only hunt collared deer here on in...

dd77bcfe-9536-48e2-b258-4592c75e589e-buckstudy01.jpg

Nothing to report. He was a no-show...off to make plans for island & surrounding water visit.
Frank texted me this morning saying deer is dead and he is close by.

Time will tell....

Enbloc, was that a "buck boot" so no one steals the deer?

Update:

Boy! This has been a fun story to follow! Thanks for sharing! I will have my kids read this when they get home from school. Lots to learn along the way!!!!!!

The plot thickens...Just kidding. I went out to the islands, yup, turns out with all the rain we have had it turned 2 into 3 islands. Main tributary is, say 3-4ft deep, unfortunately all the extra water has overflowed and left just a few tree stumps, mossy patch's and a lot of gaps between them to try and traverse. So I walked the entire outer edges of the islands as well as the interior & found no dead body. He may be alive and running around somewhere, he may be dead somewhere I could get to or see. That could be on my side of river or buck crossed the river, unless he shows up in my sights again, I'll leave him as alive and kicking. Yes it is frustrating not knowing what happen to the guy but I can say it's the 1 that got away.....

On Island, I did find trails, tracks and plenty of fresh deer poop. Deer still around, oh wait, they are always around, but mostly not when you want them to be!!LOL

As for now, I have conceded that I shot low, conceded that I did my due diligence to try and retrieve what I thought would be a dead deer. Plenty of lessons learned in the last 36 hours. Will I do some of the same traits as yesterday morning when taking that shot, um probably not but hey I'm human and I will maybe forget something here or there. Hopefully NOT!!

Overall I gained a ton of experience both as a hunter and as a person.

Don't assume you hit the deer dead on, don't assume you missed it by a mile. Due the right thing the first time and you won't have to write a book on how you had to chase a buck for a day and a half only to find nothing.

Frank the tracker was very disappointed he didn't find the buck last night nor I didn't today. I highly recommenced using the NH F&G web site to get the list of licensed NH leashed deer trackers if your deer can't be found. Frank had plenty of stories about deer and what type of hunting shot they sustained & how they react to that. Some run 80 yds some go for miles. As for compensation, I made a cash version for his 2 hrs spent trying to find the buck.

Thanks to all who followed and were entertained by my little episode. Many Thanks to those who offered insight, options and well wishes. Much Appreciated.

AND Yes, If he returns I will share what happens..

The plot thickens...Just kidding. I went out to the islands, yup, turns out with all the rain we have had it turned 2 into 3 islands. Main tributary is, say 3-4ft deep, unfortunately all the extra water has overflowed and left just a few tree stumps, mossy patch's and a lot of gaps between them to try and traverse. So I walked the entire outer edges of the islands as well as the interior & found no dead body. He may be alive and running around somewhere, he may be dead somewhere I could get to or see. That could be on my side of river or buck crossed the river, unless he shows up in my sights again, I'll leave him as alive and kicking. Yes it is frustrating not knowing what happen to the guy but I can say it's the 1 that got away.....

On Island, I did find trails, tracks and plenty of fresh deer poop. Deer still around, oh wait, they are always around, but mostly not when you want them to be!!LOL

As for now, I have conceded that I shot low, conceded that I did my due diligence to try and retrieve what I thought would be a dead deer. Plenty of lessons learned in the last 36 hours. Will I do some of the same traits as yesterday morning when taking that shot, um probably not but hey I'm human and I will maybe forget something here or there. Hopefully NOT!!

Overall I gained a ton of experience both as a hunter and as a person.

Don't assume you hit the deer dead on, don't assume you missed it by a mile. Due the right thing the first time and you won't have to write a book on how you had to chase a buck for a day and a half only to find nothing.

Frank the tracker was very disappointed he didn't find the buck last night nor I didn't today. I highly recommenced using the NH F&G web site to get the list of licensed NH leashed deer trackers if your deer can't be found. Frank had plenty of stories about deer and what type of hunting shot they sustained & how they react to that. Some run 80 yds some go for miles. As for compensation, I made a cash version for his 2 hrs spent trying to find the buck.

Thanks to all who followed and were entertained by my little episode. Many Thanks to those who offered insight, options and well wishes. Much Appreciated.

AND Yes, If he returns I will share what happens..
You went above and beyond imo

Well done @Hwy Htr.

You’ve done everything possible and more than most.

Bob
This. Big time.

Days I learned the most about my hunting area and deer in general, are the days I spent tracking a wounded deer....either found or never found. I still learned much more than I would have normally learned if I had just sat a stand.

The one thing I have learned in hunting is to take an ethical kill. If you take a shot make it count as much as possible. If it runs off track it.
I feel like you have gone above and beyond. Great work. Better luck in the next one. You deserve it

Damn. Sorry you didn't find your deer. Brookline??? My brother lives in Brookline. Watch out for bears.

Back
Top Bottom