• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Urgent: NH Senate up to no good... AGAIN! They are attempting to tie NH law to Federal firearms statutes

Avard used to be liberty-leaning, with his committee for redress of grievances.

He's turned full GOP National lately.
I've known Kevin Avard for almost 40 years...He always struck me as an opportunist and over the years, especially the last ten or so, I've realized he is cut from the same cloth as Sununu. I think he too has higher aspirations.

1651719411097-png.611967

Given that the bill as written says "In this chapter, "firearm" shall have the same meaning as in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(3) as it appears on April 12, 2022." it doesn't seem as egregiously bad as NHFC makes it out to be, it isn't open-ended and wouldn't change if 921 changes.

That said, I also don't see why they felt the need to 1) Define "firearm" and 2) Make the definition a pointer to a snapshot-in-time of the Federal code?

Seems like this hurts gunowners in terms of limiting the scope of state preemption in 159:26 , and maybe helps the rare case of a felon-in-possession charged with having some strange not-quite-a-firearm item?

1651719411097-png.611967

Given that the bill as written says "In this chapter, "firearm" shall have the same meaning as in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(3) as it appears on April 12, 2022." it doesn't seem as egregiously bad as NHFC makes it out to be, it isn't open-ended and wouldn't change if 921 changes.

That said, I also don't see why they felt the need to 1) Define "firearm" and 2) Make the definition a pointer to a snapshot-in-time of the Federal code?

Seems like this hurts gunowners in terms of limiting the scope of state preemption in 159:26 , and maybe helps the rare case of a felon-in-possession charged with having some strange not-quite-a-firearm item?
(3)
The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(3)
The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
So the answer to my question is, this is a stealthy way to add suppressors and DDs to state preemption, otherwise has no real impact?

Back
Top Bottom