Urgent: NH Senate up to no good... AGAIN! They are attempting to tie NH law to Federal firearms statutes

NHFC was just made aware of a last minute amendment that will tie our state firearms definitions to federal law. While this is going on locally, the ATF is busy making changes in rules on firearms and there were already issues with the federal definition.
Why in the heck would we do this?
They will be voting on May 5th. Call the NH Senate ASAP at 603-271-2111 and demand that the Senators oppose amendment 2022-1807s.

Threads on why tying to federal law is a bad idea:

Dear New Hampshire Senators,

Please see our attached letter opposing the definition change regarding 'firearms' being proposed in HB490.

We will be watching this vote and grading on this vote. We also ask that you role call both the vote on the adoption of this amendment as well as passage of the bill if amended.

The citizens in New Hampshire deserve to know which legislators are working against thie second amendment rights while in office.

Regards,

NHFC

Dear Senators,

We were just made aware of a last-minute Senate amendment to HB490 attempting to tie our state definition of ‘firearms’ to Federal law. In 2018, NHFC, Inc. clearly opposed a similar change. The definition of firearms in our statutes has always been better then Federal law.

Tying New Hampshire statutes to Federal law, even when a date is included is simply bad legislative practice and in the case of definitions, will cause harm to gun owners as evidenced in the recent court case.

We ask that you oppose amendment 2022-1807s and if you want to correct something, undue the faulty definition in RSA 173-B that was modified in SB500.

324:2 Protection of Persons From Domestic Violence; Definitions. Amend RSA 173-B:1, XI to read as follows:

XI. "Firearm'' means any weapon, including a starter gun, which will [or], is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by [force of gunpowder] the action of an explosive.

As we mentioned in 2018 when the Senate attempted this last time, this is an extremely bad idea. Had SB500 been defeated, the recent issues regarding definition of firearm in case law could have been avoided. Had the legislators not messed with the definition several years ago, we would be better off.

Last edited:
Wrote a comment but deleted because I wanted to learn more first. But I'm coming up empty, trying to follow @designs links and did some additional searches, but I can't find the document shown above. I'm not doubting it, just can't find the dam thing. Do you have a link to the actual doc? I tried the search you linked but the doc I found there ended at #4, it says it's the amended bill but no #5 and in another section on the same page it says there are no amendments, both of these can't be true. The need to work on their web sight.

Wrote a comment but deleted because I wanted to learn more first. But I'm coming up empty, trying to follow @designs links and did some additional searches, but I can't find the document shown above. I'm not doubting it, just can't find the dam thing. Do you have a link to the actual doc? I tried the search you linked but the doc I found there ended at #4, it says it's the amended bill but no #5 and in another section on the same page it says there are no amendments, both of these can't be true. The need to work on their web sight.

The "improved" website is starting to grow on me, but you can no longer directly link anything. You can find the amendment in a couple different places-the Senate calendar PDF or on the bill's "home".

Here is the bill's home.

Current Legislation Search

See on the left 1807s

See also the committee report where they slipped it in.

Also, it looks like Senator Guida is maybe introducing a floor amendment which he drafted on 3 May. See 1924s which removes the firearms language.---maybe.

Last edited:
The legislative web site is an absolute POS. Whatever they do to format the emails to those on committees does not work with out manual manipulation to get the email correct on Every Single Email! That of course is after going through their matrix to find out which committee you actually have to email. No link on the actual bill page, and the searching for committees is convoluted at best. Almost like they don’t want to hear from us. Anyway, I emailed the committee members FWIW.

Like i said, the site is starting to grow on me, but I have WAY too much time on my hands and I'm kind of a nerd.

I shot Guida(my senator) a note this morning. I should have CCed his secretary, but the last time I sent an email to Sen Guida, his secretary was the one who responded.

best I could come up with on my limited understanding and not tracking the bill from its genesis while making coffee and simultaneously browsing naked chicks on reddit.

Capture.png

Almost wish I didn't have plans today so i could watch the session and try to figure out which of the committee members tossed that in there and thought it was a good idea.

Also wanted to watch the House session today to see in 307 comes up, but from @KBCraig 's posts it sounds like word has spread amongst the good people in the House.

Capture.JPG

Almost wish I didn't have plans today so i could watch the session and try to figure out which of the committee members tossed that in there and thought it was a good idea.

Also wanted to watch the House session today to see in 307 comes up, but from @KBCraig 's posts it sounds like word has spread amongst the good people in the House.

View attachment 612069
I found that page after getting lost in the menu at the bottom of the bill page. Helpful links, my ass. Why can’t they hot link the committee on the bill page instead of making it a multi step process, (house - committees - scroll - nope, not a house committee even though a house bill, back to senate - committee- scroll - energy etc).
The email entire committee hoses all the addresses when it opens in my email app. I went to each individual’s page and copy and pasted each email and even then, still needed to fix them. /rant

How long can NH hold on?
for statewide stuff they probably already turned blue. I think a population of 1.3 million and 300,000 of those are in the 4 largest cities, which have been dumping grounds for blue voters for years, you can tell by the fun graffiti art that started popping up all over the place. Add in a bunch of libs from mass moving up to their lake houses during the pandemic and you can pretty much write-off NH In the next election cycle. I hope that I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

I go to the lakes region a lot and during the 2016 election there were no Hillary signs. During the 2020 election there were more Biden signs than trump. No, not a scientific read of the area, but, it was telling. my Friend follows the the lake winni Fb page and it’s constantly a bunch of mass transplants complaining about global warming and banning powerboats because they tip over their kayaks and stress the wildlife.

Got a reply back from Sen Guida's Aide. Just the generic one saying that he will be sure to share my comments with Senator Guida and if they have any questions they will reach out, but I'm happy someone is alive at the other end of the email machine.

HB490 passed the Senate with the bad amendment. Time to call state reps and just kill this.

HB490 passed the Senate with the bad amendment. Time to call state reps and just kill this.

Yep, I was gone, so I set the captioner on my computer when I left. Captioner tends to miss some stuff and the GC site isn't updated with roll calls yet.

1807s passed 17-7. I know French, Avard, Birdsell, and Morse(running for f***ing Senate) decided to sell us to the feds. I'm missing some.

captioner transcript attached for this amendment. It gets goofy with typos but is decently clear here.

1.JPG2.JPG

You should all move to Mass. We have The Freedom Trail.

Meanwhile I worked this morning fixing some game cams while carrying without a permit, stopped in the the Copper Pig for a beer and a growler refill while still carrying. All legal.

NH is under attack from all sides as it still has some conservative flavor in the north east corner of idiots*. The state motto really brings out the libtard attackers too.

*not dissing ME and ME is good people with their own battles from the southern takeover.

for statewide stuff they probably already turned blue. I think a population of 1.3 million and 300,000 of those are in the 4 largest cities, which have been dumping grounds for blue voters for years, you can tell by the fun graffiti art that started popping up all over the place. Add in a bunch of libs from mass moving up to their lake houses during the pandemic and you can pretty much write-off NH In the next election cycle. I hope that I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

I go to the lakes region a lot and during the 2016 election there were no Hillary signs. During the 2020 election there were more Biden signs than trump. No, not a scientific read of the area, but, it was telling. my Friend follows the the lake winni Fb page and it’s constantly a bunch of mass transplants complaining about global warming and banning powerboats because they tip over their kayaks and stress the wildlife.
Sad to hear

So the roll call is up for this amendment which seeks to shackle NH's definition to the feds.

French, Avard, Birdsell, Morse, Bradley, Carson(of course), and Gannon are the Rs who voted for it.

If you look at what went on in NH during the last election, we continue to send our trash to DC but otherwise turned more red.

In NH for sure, it wasn't a Trump stronghold - he was too much of an a**h*** to appeal to swing voters (who practically unanimously vote for Sununu). And I voted for Trump absolutely but I'm not a swing voter and his antics, the childish stuff, is why he didn't do well here. NH wasn't a big Hilary fan either, was seen as kinda nasty and a liar, just a different party.. Biden played that line better for the swing votes/support.

We home grow our trash in NH mostly, unfortunately. Sure maybe we take a few MA liberals in but where I live, Plaistow area, I will say the vast majority of folks from MA sport Trump signs and blue lights on their front steps. We probably get more Republican than Democrat voters from MA.

No I don't think NH is turning blue. But yes we tend to do our own thing that isn't necessarily consistent.

French is retiring/not running for another term and appears to have decided to go out on a bad note
Morse is running for higher office.....I'd never vote for him based on his record of waffling on issues
Carson has a long history of screwing pro liberty folks and has supported red flag bills in past.....she needs to be primaried

I wasn't aware of French going, so that is another seat. I've only been nerding out on NH politics for two years and am so sick of Carson-no friend to the 2A for sure.

Hennessey is also not running. She endorsed Gendrau from Littleton. Troy Merner-current Lancaster etc Rep is also running. I'm about 33% sure I'm in a business relationship with Gendrau's brother.

*both links are archive links to get around the Record's paywall.

I wasn't aware of French going, so that is another seat. I've only been nerding out on NH politics for two years and am so sick of Carson-no friend to the 2A for sure.

Hennessey is also not running. She endorsed Gendrau from Littleton. Troy Merner-current Lancaster etc Rep is also running. I'm about 33% sure I'm in a business relationship with Gendrau's brother.

*both links are archive links to get around the Record's paywall.

Rep Howard Pearl is running to be French's replacement as I understand things currently.

Its an upgrade....leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom