• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Supreme Court OT 2019

In the long run, this might be a better outcome. The court will hopefully take a better, more far reaching petition from their pending stake and they'll issue that opinion next term after the presidential election. That could be a lot better than winning NYSRPA now, having the other petitions GVR'd (giving the lower courts another chance to F them over) and making gun more of a central issue in November.

I know we all want to 'save every puppy in the shelter', but sometimes the timing has to be right to get what you really want.

While I was hoping it wouldn’t be mooted, I’m less surprised than had it not be mooted. Looking forward to analysis from Volokh and others.

This will most likely embolden NYC/NY to all but moot the changes they enacted to result in this mooting.

We've been working on the 'Long Run' for quite a long time..... I'd kinda like one to affirm this civil and constitution right in the short run.
Yes I agree. There is no long run victory that I see for gun owners. There are just a successive number of skirmishes and battles and the pro2A side seems to lose everyone one. We consider it a victory if we beat the other side back to an earlier status quo after years of civil rights infringement, or get a minor improvement in new proposed law. I’ve been at the shooting game for a while, and in the last 60 years (1960 till now) I am hard pressed to think of one thing that improved in the Northeast. ( New England plus NY, NJ and PA). Even when the anti’s lose they win. In this NYC case they infringed rights for years if not decades. When a case gets to Supreme Court NYC says oops never mind. NYC Walks away unscathed and already has another vague law on books.

It will be the same with Heil Healy’s edict on AWB. The best possible outcome is a return to prior interpretation after 5 or 6 years of the fake law being the law of the land, and it is a low probability that we get best case outcome.

All the protests in Virginia only got them a slightly less onerous set of new regulations. They still got screwed and it’s never going back.

So keep up the good fight, but just realize that this is the best it will be, and it’s only going to get worse going forward.

We consider it a victory if we beat the other side back to an earlier status quo after years of civil rights infringement, or get a minor improvement in new proposed law. I’ve been at the shooting game for a while, and in the last 60 years (1960 till now) I am hard pressed to think of one thing that improved in the Northeast. ( New England plus NY, NJ and PA)
I'm just focused on Northern New England, and I'd say statewide preemption in NH (2003 for firearms, 2010 for knives) was a big win, as was getting constitutional carry in Maine (2015) & New Hampshire (2017). Oh, and suppressor laws, including changes in PA,VT,ME,NH.

Clearly the universal wish is that they will now turn and take up a more impactful case. The likelihood of them doing so is beyond my guess, the level of uncertainty in our society currently really is unnerving.

I would have to believe there is little incentive for the status quo end of the bench to take up a case, unless they honestly are upset on principle with the lower courts not applying 'Heller'.

But yeah, nobody seems particularly surprised by this dismissal as moot.

🐯

Sucks
Hopefully they take up Worman.
The remark that judge made about “Scalia would be proud” as he ruled the opposite of what Heller said was a real slap in the face for SCOTUS

Mark Pennak at Maryland Shall Issue had this assessment:

....The conventional wisdom is that they will pick Rogers, as there is a square conflict in the circuits with the decision in Wrenn and resolution of such conflicts is exactly what the Court is supposed to do. But I see Pena (the California microstamping case) as a candidate as well, given the total absurdity of the 9th circuit's ruling and the outrageous nature of the requirement. Of course, there is no need for the Court to pick one case. They could grant cert in two cases. Pena would be the obvious choice for an "in common use" decision and Rogers would be the best case for an "outside the home" ruling (the Third Circuit's decision in Drake, which was controlling in Rogers, is a real outlier in its reasoning). A decision in Pena would dispose of Wilson and Worman (the AWB) and a decision in Rogers would take care of all the carry cases. They need not address Mance (the federal ban on interstate sale of handguns), except a GVR to instruct the court of appeals to apply the proper test on the remand. ...
This is a very efficient (but perhaps hopeful) take on how the court could 'clear the decks' of 2A cases. I have a lot of respect for Mark's opinions. He's a retired appellate attorney for the US DOJ and runs a really solid organization.

But I also think the court could take one issue (carry) and deny the others, saving those issues for another day.

We've been working on the 'Long Run' for quite a long time..... I'd kinda like one to affirm this civil and constitution right in the short run.
Brown didn't stop states from enforcing segregation and Roe didn't stop states from trying to outlaw abortion. The court needs material to work with and that material typically comes from years of litigation in the lower courts. They can't just sua sponte their views into law like the SJC does. I don't think that in 2008 and 2010 that anyone on the court or anywhere else expected the lower courts to mis-interpret Heller they way they have.

This extra time gives us the opportunity for better 2A decisions in OT2020. It also makes the Second Amendment and guns less of an issue in the 2020 election cycle which I think is a very good thing.

So, in the aftermath of yesterday's ruling, six 2A cases previously on the shadow docket have been circulated for Friday's conference. Which case, if any, is the smart money on for granting cert?

So, in the aftermath of yesterday's ruling, six 2A cases previously on the shadow docket have been circulated for Friday's conference. Which case, if any, is the smart money on for granting cert?

Can't play the game without a scorecard...

Therefore, Kavanaugh suggested, the Supreme Court “should address that issue soon, perhaps in one of the several Second Amendment cases with petitions for certiorari now pending before the Court.” The court’s electronic docket reveals that Kavanaugh’s suggestion may come to fruition soon: By the end of the day yesterday, the Supreme Court had distributed for consideration at Friday’s conference 10 cases that had apparently been on hold for the New York case.

🐯

Last edited:
I get it and appreciate the work of folks like you, Comm2A, SAF, etc. Just a wee bit impatient.
😇
Yup, you get it. Right is better than fast. The only real exception to this is same-sex marriage. That's a big anomaly and (I think) reflects how society has quickly changed on that issue. I'm happy for that. I just wish society would change their views about guns as quickly.

Viewing all those cases and their questions, it seems the most common theme is "outside the home" in a licensing and carry perspective. The cynical part of me has doubts, but i hope the second theme of all 10 of those cases ("in common use") rears its head. It would be nice to tie those loose ends up for us in one ruling.

ETA: the 10 cases being from the ScotusBlog link above

Yesterday, petitioners in Rogers filed a supplemental brief. The Questions Presented in Rogers and identical to those in Gould (v. Boston & Brookline) Note that Paul Clement is now representing petitioners - that's huge. The smart money has the Supremes granting cert here and it's what I hope they do.

Indeed, the fact that the City went to great lengths not to defend a law that survived the Second Circuit’s version of heightened scrutiny underscores that the scrutiny applied by many lower courts is heightened in name only and inconsistent with this Court’s precedents.

Yesterday, petitioners in Rogers filed a supplemental brief. The Questions Presented in Rogers and identical to those in Gould (v. Boston & Brookline) Note that Paul Clement is now representing petitioners - that's huge. The smart money has the Supremes granting cert here and it's what I hope they do.

While I applaud all the hard work. There is a 0% chance SCOTUS takes this case and overthrows NJ licensing structure becuase it would essentially destroy all non-shall issue licensing laws.

They won't take it for the same reasons they'll never strike down an AWB. They don't want to be the ones to destroy liberals dreams.

Am I correct that this is solely a licensing case, there is no “in common use” possession aspect to it? If so, while a favorable ruling would surely be a very good thing vis-à-vis “suitability” in MA, it would not have any impact on the questions in Worman v. Healey, correct?

🐯

Am I correct that this is solely a licensing case, there is no “in common use” possession aspect to it? If so, while a favorable ruling would surely be a very good thing vis-à-vis “suitability” in MA, it would not have any impact on the questions in Worman v. Healey, correct?

🐯
Rogers, Gould, Malpasso and a few others are carry cases, i.e 'out side the home'. They hypothetically could have an impact on Worman, Mance and a few others. If the court gets more specific about how lower courts should apply heightened scrutiny, they might remand Worman 'in light of......'. The district court would then get another crack at upholding the AWB.

Today is Friday. What time is/was the conference? Any feedback from this? Where does this take place? Is it televised?

Back
Top Bottom