• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Supreme Court OT 2019

I believe it's private. I don't think they list the orders until Monday morning.
The justices' conference is private. Order list is out this morning. There's no mention of any of the 10 gun cases that were distributed for last Friday's conference. That's not a surprise at all. I suspect there's a lot of 'horse trading' going on in terms of which petition(s) to hear, which to deny, which to hold, and what concurrences or dissents will be written. I'd not be surprised if they issue a Miscellaneous Order to deal with these.

The justices' conference is private. Order list is out this morning. There's no mention of any of the 10 gun cases that were distributed for last Friday's conference. That's not a surprise at all. I suspect there's a lot of 'horse trading' going on in terms of which petition(s) to hear, which to deny, which to hold, and what concurrences or dissents will be written. I'd not be surprised if they issue a Miscellaneous Order to deal with these.

when might that occur? an hour, a day, a week?

when might that occur? an hour, a day, a week?
Any time between tomorrow and months from now.

Supposedly, at the justices' conference, they go through petitions one by one. They taken turns by order of seniority giving their opinions and then voting to grant cert or not. But in this instance you know that's NOT happening. If you assume for a minute that each justice only wants to grant one or two petitions and hold the rest, I would not be surprised if no petition gets four votes. Each of the nine could easily have a different idea of how they'd like to resolved these 10 petitions.

So, it could be awhile. In addition to untangling the gun petitions, they have two weeks of telephone oral arguments to get through, which they've never done before. And the May 17th conference has 13 qualified immunity petitions to consider. That's as complicated a process for the justices as the 10 gun petitions we're all watching.

Fun Facts:
This first telephone argument (welcome to the 19th century SCOTUS!) is mostly a dress rehearsal. It's pretty unimportant trademark case with well seasoned advocates on both sides. While women are well represented in the legal profession generally, the Supreme Court bar is an old boys club. However, gooking.com is being argued by two women.

Lisa Blatt is the attoreny forbooking.com. She clerked for Ginsburg and I think this is her 40th argument before the court. You can count her losses on one hand and still pick your nose with the fingers that are left over.

Nothing like having the ability to basically ignore human rights ad infinitum at your own leisure.

Explain to me again why SCOTUS should not be required to either accept a case or remand it back with guidance to every single case in less than a few weeks? The idea they just get to do nothing on the majority of cases is ridiculous.

Nothing like having the ability to basically ignore human rights ad infinitum at your own leisure.

Explain to me again why SCOTUS should not be required to either accept a case or remand it back with guidance to every single case in less than a few weeks? The idea they just get to do nothing on the majority of cases is ridiculous.

There literally isn't enough time. Something like 1% of cases that "taken to SCOTUS" actually get heard.

And we really don't want cases to be rushed through.

There's good reasons for not taking a case.

There literally isn't enough time. Something like 1% of cases that "taken to SCOTUS" actually get heard.

Great then reject the case. This limbo of they just get to do nothing is unacceptable.

Clearly if they are holding onto a case they actually think it has merit.

Indeed, timing is everything. Heller would not have turned out had it did if it was brought 10 or even 5 years earlier. It was risky as it was. We need to have things happen at the right time. For Christ-sake, look how long it took to eliminate overt racial segregation.

These ten cases have been relisted for conference this Friday, May 15

The relist story as covered by SCOTUS Blog (dateline 5/11/2020)...

🐯

So now we wait to see if any, or all, are relisted for conference this week, and then orders next Tuesday (Mon holiday) correct?

🐯
That's correct. Presumably all will be relisted since there were no denials. Waiting is probably good. That means the justices are working on it. Denials come fast. Grants are slower. And grants in complex, multi-petitions issues are slower still.

It might be really hard for four justices to agree on which petition(s) to grant, which to hold, and which to deny. They all probably have a different idea of how the court act on these ten petitions.

That's correct. Presumably all will be relisted since there were no denials. Waiting is probably good. That means the justices are working on it. Denials come fast. Grants are slower. And grants in complex, multi-petitions issues are slower still.

It might be really hard for four justices to agree on which petition(s) to grant, which to hold, and which to deny. They all probably have a different idea of how the court act on these ten petitions.

Well I hope that this is a sign that eventually they will take something up, reading the live blog this morning there were a few people that echoed what you have said above.

Although there was this one post there that caught my eye...
The court denied cert in Nassau County v. Orlando (18-1421) after rescheduling the case for conference more than 20 times.

Let's hope we are not going down that road.

🐯

for some reason I'm just not surprised... I bet there is one Justice holding these cases up but not ruling them out completely
It's likely much more complicated than that. They'll probably only hear one carry case, or maybe they'll combine two for oral arguments. You might have 5 or 6 justices who want to hear one of the petitions, but there might not be four who agree on which petition(s) to hear.

Back
Top Bottom