• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USED Sig P250 in 45ACP. Good gun? Bad gun?

A friend of mine has one in, I think, 9mm. He likes it and also has the .22 conversion. He tells me it's the first version of what is now the P320. That being said, price and condition would determine if it's a good deal or not.

I have one in 9mm. I love it. Some people don't like the trigger. I think it has one of the smoothest DAO triggers out there. Pinpoint accurate. I think the 45 version is the one that you can't change calibers? I say keep it. There arent too many options out there for DAO in 45.

it behaves like a revolver. very long but smooth trigger pull. i no longer own a P250 but I used to just tell myself i'm picking up a GP100 and let my brain ancipitate a revolver trigger then it went fine. if you like the trigger pull of a glock or most striker guns, then the P250 will likely feel awful. it will run on the same mags as the P320 or a P227 (although baseplates on the P227 are slightly different).

AFAIK the P250 is now discontinued by Sig. honestly though unless your'e specifically in the market for a P250, i would not spend over $300 on one...probabyl more like $200.

it behaves like a revolver. very long but smooth trigger pull. i no longer own a P250 but I used to just tell myself i'm picking up a GP100 and let my brain ancipitate a revolver trigger then it went fine. if you like the trigger pull of a glock or most striker guns, then the P250 will likely feel awful. it will run on the same mags as the P320 or a P227 (although baseplates on the P227 are slightly different).

AFAIK the P250 is now discontinued by Sig. honestly though unless your'e specifically in the market for a P250, i would not spend over $300 on one...probabyl more like $200.

Looking for a compact backup. My EDC is an E-Series 1911. I have another 1911 for a backup. I have a Chief Special 45 for a compact gun, like to have a compact backup 45 also. The interchangeable option intrigues me as Lady Radtekk generally carries a Shield in 9. I have one as well, so there's a backup for hers.

Or, I have a bunch of guns and am looking for an excuse to buy another. My LGS as the Sig listed at $275. Haven't seen it yet, probably gonna stop by this week and fondle it, hence this thread.

What says NES? IS this a POS or a decent gun?

Trigger is shit, long DAO pull. If it's an MA P250, it's twice as shit. (there's a heavier spring supposedly on the MA versions). The regular P250 spring isn't too bad, but its a typical DAO auto, which in my mind is like 3 times the pull length of a DA revolver, lol..

The P320 is the gun the P250 should have been to begin with, lol.

-Mike

Never been a fan of DAO pistols, they're just not worth it to me. If the goal is to be "safer" when carrying, carry a pistol with a manual safety, a grip safety, and on an empty chamber.

As far as a full size DAO pistol... no thank you, even if it was $100.

if looking for a compact 45 for carry i would start at either a G30 (or G30s) or shield 45. these are so far superior to a P250 in 45acp it's not even possible to describe. i really don't think a P250 is worth $275 when for like $150 more one can have a shield 45. to me this is one of the slickest pistols S&W has ever produced. it fits my hand far better than their 9mm shield. also if you're normally carrying a 1911 man the P250 trigger couldn't be any more different. to shoot the P250 quickly one has to stage the hell out of the trigger. again it's like a GP100 trigger but a tad lighter.

and definitely the MA P250 models have a shittier heavy hammer spring which tranlates into a rather heavy trigger. the free state P250 (which I previously owned) weren't as bad but equally long. if i recall i measured mine at like 9ish #'s. mine ran 100% and was a good looking pistol for its time, but its days are long over which is why Sig has completely bailed on the P250. i'm not sure they will even service the gun for much longer.

Well, sounds like I'm done... My Chief is a DA/SA, hammer, decocker/safety.... I have a GP100 so I know EXACTLY what you mean re the trigger pull and length.And Lady Radtekk and I have the Shield in 9, guess I should be looking at the 45 for my backup compact.

Basically I saw the price, thought it was good, now I know why...

NES strikes again[bow][rockon]

Well, sounds like I'm done... My Chief is a DA/SA, hammer, decocker/safety.... I have a GP100 so I know EXACTLY what you mean re the trigger pull and length.And Lady Radtekk and I have the Shield in 9, guess I should be looking at the 45 for my backup compact.

Basically I saw the price, thought it was good, now I know why...

NES strikes again[bow][rockon]

I'll also add, that a GP100 probably still has a better trigger than a P250, by a mile.

IMHO a DA revolver trigger and the DAO mcshitpoop trigger on a P250 are two different things... they don't feel the
same to me. The peak, the "roll" and general feel of the trigger is much different between the two.

-Mike

I must have lucked out and got one with a good trigger. It's no striker fired gun, but the trigger is smooth albeit long. Bullets go where I want them to go.

My first gun after getting my license - Post-Newtown, it was literally the only handgun under $1000 at MFS (one of three, the others being some custom shop I-don't-remember-whats.)
Observations above all reasonably accurate - as is the gun, if you can work with the long MA force trigger.

I will say that my only ND came after putting down the P250c and picking up my Volquartsenized Ruger MkIII Hunter. Going from a 11-12lb MA trigger with a LONG pull immediately to a 2lb VQ trigger with pre-set resulted in one round completely off target (but pointed in a safe direction.)

I like mine and enjoy shooting it as it is very different from my normal inclination towards 1911 pistols. In a nutshell it is a big pistol which I like having big hands it feels comfortable and easy to control. The DAO trigger is far better than most of my revolvers, however it does have a long reset that takes some getting used to. I certainly wouldn't think of using it as an EDC, but as a range gun or even to keep by the bedside (it comes standard with a pretty nice set of night sights) its not a bad option for the price...

I must have lucked out and got one with a good trigger. It's no striker fired gun, but the trigger is smooth albeit long. Bullets go where I want them to go.
This has been my experience as well. I don't feel like the trigger is heavier than anything else out there. If anything, it seems lighter.

I think if you're a glock or 1911 person, you're not going to like this gun. DAO is meant for accuracy more than rapid fire.

DAO is meant for accuracy more than rapid fire.

DAO is meant to appease shitlib politicians and their shitlib lawyers who think a heavier trigger makes a gun safer. What this accomplished (before the world moved to striker guns) was for manufacturers to get police contracts in shitlib places. That or to have a concealed hammer in a revolver.

As soon as I saw p250 in the title, I knew drgrant was going to take massive shits all over this thread.

Pretty accurate description... I'm looking for something to scratch the gun itch that's a little more reasonable than the 44mag carbine I really want... Or the Henry lever 357. Or the 44mag desert eagle... Or... Or...

Radtekk, just weighing in here...

DA only semi's: never cocked. Bugs me, but that's just me. If you like or don't mind the trigger pull, what's wrong with another gun in the safe?

I owned a 250, and traded it for a 220. If I had the money I would have kept it. Sigs are the cream of the crop, even with a heavy trigger like the 250's. It's still accurate and will eat whatever you feed it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 250 in .45, .40, or .357 for ~$300 if I had the cash.

I tried one at MFS a while back. My friend was considering one, so took a 9mm out. I was laughing inside as who wants a DAO, the trigger will SUCK?!?!??! Figured it would be horrible and even so far as to say who in their right minds would want this willingly...? And why make one...? But I shot it and it was not too bad. And pretty damn accurate. I was pleasantly surprised actually.

BUT, I would still never buy one and would never carry it. And still wonder what the hell SIG was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom