Using Echolink while overseas

The family and I leave for our European vacation on Thursday. Not taking any radios with me for a couple reasons.
1. Disney outright bans any and all ham radio gear and if you are caught with this stuff, they will kick you off the boat. Bullshit, but their rules. Not going to risk effing up the vacation for the hobby
2. I'm not interested in filing the FCC paperwork for reciprocity in the other countries.

On a lark, I busted out Echolink on Saturday and found a repeater in London. I just connected up and started to listen. A ham there heard me come on and through out his call. M3JNO. We chatted for about 10 minutes. Super friendly guy.

That got me wondering. Is use of Echolink while on foreign soil allowed? I would assume YES since you are not actually broadcasting on RF, but maybe that is a difference without a distinction.

What say you all?

The family and I leave for our European vacation on Thursday. Not taking any radios with me for a couple reasons.
1. Disney outright bans any and all ham radio gear and if you are caught with this stuff, they will kick you off the boat. Bullshit, but their rules. Not going to risk effing up the vacation for the hobby
On the one hand, you need (among other things), the Master's permission.
On the other hand, I couldn't be bothered to even try since I didn't want to operate on-board.
On the other hand, there was no need to operate while in Key West in 2005.
On the other hand, they'll X-ray your luggage,
and if they spot contraband, they'll pull it and give it back when you disembark.
On the other hand, they didn't even notice the H/T I packed and never used.

I spend far more time worrying about whether they'll confiscate my Power Squid.
They never have, and more recently they'll deleted the "no extension cords" rule
from the official conditions.

Is use of Echolink while on foreign soil allowed?
Allowed by who?

On the one hand, you need (among other things), the Master's permission.
On the other hand, I couldn't be bothered to even try since I didn't want to operate on-board.
On the other hand, there was no need to operate while in Key West in 2005.
On the other hand, they'll X-ray your luggage,
and if they spot contraband, they'll pull it and give it back when you disembark.
On the other hand, they didn't even notice the H/T I packed and never used.

I spend far more time worrying about whether they'll confiscate my Power Squid.
They never have, and more recently they'll deleted the "no extension cords" rule
from the official conditions.

Allowed by who?

Allowed by FCC regs since I'm a US licensed HAM. I'm 100% sure that all countries I'll visit have agreements in place, but I'm wondering if I need to worry about getting reported. Not like that would ever happen. :)

Oh...and how many freakin' hands do you have? You spawn a bunch since the last time I saw you??? [rofl]

Oh...and how many freakin' hands do you have? You spawn a bunch since the last time I saw you???
YOUR-JEEP.jpg
Why the crab gotta be black? THAT'S RACIST!!!! lol
Maybe they're proportionate crabs.
Microaggression merits small pinch.

Back
Top Bottom