Using grease in your AR15. Is that a bad thing?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
As most of you had probably seen, a NES vendor put on an AR15 training class last weekend in CT. The training was intense with heavy rain and wind, which made it very interesting. While it was fun training in the rain it wreaked havoc with a lot of the AR15s there. When it was raining hard the water mixed with the CLP I used to lube my bolt and the CLP/water mixed with the gunpowder residue in the bolt area. For a while my AR15 ran fine, but as we spent more time doing drills the CLP/water mixture started to dry up. Soon after that happened my rifle turned into a jam-o-matic, which was very frustrating.

Now I'm trying to think of a lubricant that would maintain it's consistancy in adverse weather and it got me thinking of the grease I use on my M1 Garand. Has anyone used this on their AR15? Would there be any deficiancies I'm not thinking about by using grease instead of oil?

What do you use to lub your AR15 bolt?

When I trained in Scotland a few years ago it literally rained almost every day we were there. At one point my rifle wasn't seating rounds all the way and I had to use the forward assist. One of the platoon SGTs suggested I simply carry a small bottle of CLP and lube as needed. Once I did that no matter how much it rained and no matter how many rounds I fired I never had a jam or FTF.

I've never used anything other than CLP on my service rifles and I've been in some pretty extreme weather.

Did you keep your ejection port cover closed at all times that brass wasn't coming out? It's one of the nice features of the AR, and we got in trouble in the Army if it was left open.

CLP is probably the best, but I like 0W-30 Mobile 1 oil and agree on reapplying as necessary. Have not tried to shoot hundreds of rounds in a monsoon though.

B

Last edited:
I have used wheel bearing grease. If you think about what it does and the temperature the bearings reach vs your bolt in your AR. I am a member of another forum and they recommend it's use. I tried it and would not hesitate to use it again.

That being said, if it is just a quick trip to the range and shooting 50-60 rounds I agree CLP is fine. But on some of the training where one may shoot 1K per day. I go with the wheel bearing grease `100% of the time.

"High Temp Lithium Wheel Bearing Grease"

Is what you will want to look for at an auto parts store

Last edited:
Found this, I never tried it.

ALL-WEATHER® HIGH-TECH GREASE

Won't Gum Up In The Cold Or Burn Off In Extreme Heat

Extreme-pressure, and high-temperature, synthetic grease ensures the high-friction areas on your firearm receive the necessary lubrication no matter the weather. Protects from -65° F. to +350° F. Syringe lets you put the grease exactly where you need it. Perfect for sliding surfaces, locking lugs, triggers, safeties, sears, and more.

SPECS: 10 mL (.34 fl. oz), syringe applicator.

Did you keep your ejection port cover closed at all times that brass wasn't coming out?

There was pretty much no chance to close it so a LOT of rain was getting into it. Enough that it was leaking some of the CLP/Water/Gunpowder Residue down into the mags, which caused some additional problems. The guy next to me had a rig he spent over 3K putting together that was pretty much a single shot rifle after a while. I thing he must of blown his gas rings or something as his bolt would not cycle properly. His Trijicon though was the clearest sight I'd ever seen, even in the rain. If I had $1k to spend on a sight, that would be it.

What training were you given concerning closing it? If it was not incorporated into the curriculum, they really need to consider adding it.

B

Nothing was really mention about closing it. I did close it on my own in between strings, but by that time it was already to late.

I've used the "plasti-lube" used on M1s along with "Zep 2000" synthetic grease.....but only on the carrier where it makes contact with receiver....and very sparingly at that. The stuff seems to last pretty well. The cam pin, upper and lower bolt bearing surfaces and rings run in Ballistol.
Usually, I have an underlying layer of "Tef-Dri" along the carrier rails and on the bolt lugs.
Like Derek says; carry a small bottle with an applicator of some sort and apply as needed.
I remembered once, in reading "The Competitve AR15" one of the big time builder/competitors said he packed his rifle full of grease at the beginning of the season and shot it all season long without cleaning. Every now and then, he'd pack more grease in where it had oozed out and found it had shot as well, if not better as the season progressed, and suffered no real accelerated wear. It's not something I'd want to do, but it has been done.
As long as you keep them running fairly wet, they'll run forever.

Nothing was really mention about closing it. I did close it on my own in between strings, but by that time it was already to late.

[thinking] I can't remember exactly, but I think we were taught to close the cover every time the rifle went on safe.

B

You can try Militec. It is actually a metal treatment. Heat up the parts, then apply the oil. It keeps it's lubricity even when the metal is dry.

Can't speak for the rain, but I sent a case to my buddy in Iraq. He used it on all the crew served weapons and his personal weapons.
Ran the guns dry with far fewer problems than weapons treated with CLP. By the way, he was a convoy commander. You know he got a lot of trigger time.

As far as grease in an AR, maybe sparingly on the carrier, but I think it would make a big mess of the innards.

I remember one day at the Ames club Jim from Zero Hour had a full auto AR type and was spraying the living shit out of it with WD40. I've heard others comment on lubes, grease, etc. but am still unsure of where it goes on an AR.
All of it just makes me more sure of grabbing my Romi SAR1 AK clone if ever the SHTF.

::ducks to avoid getting beaned with empty 223 shells and cans of spray lube from the AR freaks here:: [smile]

When I trained in Scotland a few years ago it literally rained almost every day we were there. At one point my rifle wasn't seating rounds all the way and I had to use the forward assist. One of the platoon SGTs suggested I simply carry a small bottle of CLP and lube as needed. Once I did that no matter how much it rained and no matter how many rounds I fired I never had a jam or FTF.

I've never used anything other than CLP on my service rifles and I've been in some pretty extreme weather.

Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about.

AR15s run on oil, and lots of it, in the right places. The right place is mostly inside the bolt/bolt carrier assembly.

A dry and dirty AR will stop in as little as 200 rounds. A dirty and well lubricated AR will go almost 1000 rounds before problems may show up.

The only place for grease on an AR is the buffer spring, and even there it's not needed (just softens the "sproing" noise for me). Everything else gets oil. As others have said, CLP is the standard, but in a pinch, any oil will do. In crappy conditions, oil the hell out of it, and keep oiling it, new on top of old. WD40 is a great water-displacer. If it were "monsoonin'" out, a big can of that with the straw attached should keep it running.

1) Grease for M-1, M-14, and FAL's is expected - they were designed with grease for lube. Our AR's were not. CLP works but I don't like the smell of the new formula. There are some good hi-tech lubes using synthetic bases or teflon that are good. I use Mil-tech and it's good. WD-40 maybe a lubricant but it's not long-lasting. You use it if that is the only thing you have to use.

2) Funny with the ejection port cover... they never beat on us in the USMC on that. You did it when you thought about it but they never went around and baby sat us. You'd get used to it if you were in an area that dust/sand were causing problems I guess.

Joe R.

grease works wonders on the ar. high temp lithium.

If you want great stuff, TW25B is the best stuff you can get.

I used that rem dry lube and didnt have hany issues related to the bolt as far as jams go. (on bad mag caused a jam, but that was the mag not the rifle)

ALthough they did tell me to keep my dust cover shut when not shooting too.

10X
I use a dab of Militech grease on the bolt carrier and a dab in the rail the cocking handle slides in. The rest of the bolt gets militech oil. Best lubricant out there, bar none.

You can try Militec. It is actually a metal treatment. Heat up the parts, then apply the oil. It keeps it's lubricity even when the metal is dry.

Can't speak for the rain, but I sent a case to my buddy in Iraq. He used it on all the crew served weapons and his personal weapons.
Ran the guns dry with far fewer problems than weapons treated with CLP. By the way, he was a convoy commander. You know he got a lot of trigger time.

As far as grease in an AR, maybe sparingly on the carrier, but I think it would make a big mess of the innards.

Back
Top Bottom