USPSA Bass River Sunday 4-1

It was a great day. I love shooting with the guys down at Bass River. I've got some vids to post after I edit out the 5 minutes of three Masters replacing one target.

I hope RGS's knee is doing better. He hurt it while helping out another squad tape and set steel.

It was a great day. I love shooting with the guys down at Bass River. I've got some vids to post after I edit out the 5 minutes of three Masters replacing one target.

I hope RGS's knee is doing better. He hurt it while helping out another squad tape and set steel.

Thanks, I'll be fine if I can only get rid of the headache. Since I only shot one stage I may try to make it to Harvard on Saturday if work allows. Just came home to pick up my helper for the day, Now back to work.[frown]

I've got some vids to post after I edit out the 5 minutes of three Masters replacing one target.

I laughed out loud 5 minutes! You are too funny ! [rofl]

I can't seem to get the vids my camera and onto my computer correctly. I might have dropped it one to many times.

See you at Harvard Saturday.

For the record - I went outside the box.

But only after I asked the range officer if I could. The range officer knew USPSA rules allow a competitor to leave a box or step over a fault line as long as no rounds are fired outside the box or fault lines (there weren't) and, as long as the stage description does not specifically disallowed these actions - which it did not. For the IPSC lawyers out there, 10.2.1 and 10.2.2 apply - among others.

What frost me some about this was I was told that the stage was thrown out because of 'inconsistencies' with how the stage was run. I was led to believe that this was in regard to inconsistent penalty calls for breaking clays with dropped mags (which ironically, was why I moved outside the box, to avoid this possibility). I did not complain, at all, and it was my best stage in the match. Imagine my surprise when I looked up the scores and I saw this heading :

Although the intent of how to shoot this stage were clear, it seems that several shooters decided to shoot it their own way making it unfair to all.
In the future please verify with the match director before gaming a stage beyond what is normal. People spend the day on Saturday to set up and put quite a bit of effort into it. We all know how hard it can be to get enough people to help... enough said.

USPSA sanctioned matches are conducted by USPSA rules - not by the standard of '...making it unfair to all' or '...'gaming a stage beyond what is normal.', whatever that means, and not, at the discretion of the match director.

I had a good plan, I checked the plan with the RO, I had a good stage - it got thrown out. OK, I disagree, but life goes on.

Just don't make me out to be some kind a subversive quasi-cheater because I use the rules to my advantage. Like it or not - that is part of the game.

I'm not starting a p@#$sing contest. I've always enjoyed going to Bass River and I love the guys there. I'll go back as long as I'm welcome. But, if you pay your money to compete in a USPSA sanctioned event - that event should follow USPSA rules.

Respectfully (if you don't mind John K)

Scottb

Thanks Scott.
I was going to step outside the box to cut corners and avoid a row or two of clays. I asked the RO and was told that it was not the intent of the Stage, but that another shooter had. I decided that there was very little gain for me since I wasn't changing mags.

I know when I step up to a field stage, I'm think, where are places I can gain an advantage by thinking my way thru, shooting smarter to shoot better.

I feel that even if there were inconsistencies on how the stage was run, that the impact to the match was minimal and that the fun factor definitely outweighs it.

Either way it was a great match with a great bunch of people and I look forward to shooting there again

I was in Mike's squad also, and we stayed inside the box after the stage designer indicated that was his intent. One important goal: keep stage designers/builders happy so they keep designing and building. I too would have liked to see the scores incorporated because I don't think it made a huge difference whether you stayed in the box or not, but I understand the decision.

Don't worry Scott. I don't think you or the others were cheating. If a competitor checks with the RO, then you can only conclude that you're good to go. Sometimes there are miscommunications and that's going to happen. The bottom line: it was a great match with great people on a great day. I got no complaints.

(... especially because it's going to freakin' snow, sleet, rain, freeze, puke, snot, and wretch this Saturday. I hope you all can make it!)

Personally, I didn't go outside the box and I was on the squad that people did both. I wanted to stay close to engage more on the move. That speed advantage outweighed the chance of breaking a clay to me. I think I might have come close to winning that stage with a 14 sec run too so seeing different approaches made it interesting and freestyle. Throwing it out was a bummer but I undertsand it as a fair decision.

What wasn't fair was how sunny it was, so sunny I could not find the dot on the classifier for the first 6 shots (6 mikes).[shocked]

Last edited:
What wasn't fair was how sunny it was, so sunny I could not find the dot on the classifier for the first 6 shots (6 mikes).[shocked]

While zeroing a classifier is quite impressive, you have yet to reach the zen like state of classifier tanking. Procedurals, mikes and no-shoots flow from me like water down a mountain[grin]

This was a great match, fun and I want to thank all of the people that set it up. Let's face, when it comes to this stuff we are all kids again running around and playing.

As I recall, the running outside the box was only part of the issue. Clays being broken from dropped mags was the other issue.

During our walk through, the question of going outside the box came up. I indicated that I had watched a member from the prior squad run outside the box. Our RO(s) conferred with someone in the prior group, I don't know who, but the gist of the conversation, as I recall was that technically under the rules, you could run outside the box.

Also during the walk through, the issue of broken clays from dropped mags came up. Again, who said what and when, I don't remember, but 3 others and myself clearly heard that broken clays from mags were not a penalty.

Part way through the stage, while scoring a shooter, a penalty for a mag-broken clay was assessed, the scorer (one who heard no penalty during the walk through) said hold on we didn't do that for another shooter... and thus the confusion started.

Several shooters from other squads came by and at least one other person told me that during his walk through, he was told no penalty for a mag broken clay.

Hi All,nice site.Regarding last weeks match,it was a good match,I had fun and I hope you all did too.Regarding the stage in question,I had fun shooting it,I hope you all did too.Scott,I dont believe there were any aspersions cast on your integrity by the decision to not score the stage.or the note accompanying the scores.There were a couple of other factors involved,and you were not the only one to go outside the wood,nor if I recall,were you the first.As far as it being an arbitrary decision,or Bass River attempting to rewrite the rule book,3.2.3 clearly gives the MD the authority to change the course description(there actually was one) for purposes of consistency,and 2.3.4 mandates that the scores be deleted if all competitors can not reattempt.With no way to tell who did and who didnt,the only practical decision was to toss it.I dont do the scores,actually I pay very little attention to them,but for what its worth,the fastest did indeed stay in the wood......See you all next month

Back
Top Bottom