USPSA Manville, RI April 15th

What are matches at Manville like? Number of stages, size of stages etc. Funds permit attendance at only a few matches a month.

All the clubs run matches that are great fun and well done. If you can't make them all, you kinda need to decide based on your schedule, travel time, etc.

Manville typically runs 4 stages (based on their history and range layout) with 2 medium/long field courses, a short field course, and a classifier.

What are matches at Manville like? Number of stages, size of stages etc. Funds permit attendance at only a few matches a month.

Manville has been $15 in the past, which is less than other clubs, and depending on the number of participants in different classes, they have given free shoots.

It differs from club to club, but showing up for stage set up or volunteering to design a stage can take care of your match fee.

Last edited:
but showing up for stage set up or volunteering to design a stage can take care of your match fee.

I would Just add as long as it is approved by the Match Director. Some times they may have the help all lined up ahead of time.

Plus, Some clubs (cough, cough, cough) make everybody pay no matter what they do.

I am thinking of going to Manville this weekend.

What laws do I need to be concerned about. I have a Mass LTC ALP. I would normally carry concealed to a match. Is this OK in RI?

Sorry, found the following in the RI Gun Law section. I think I answered my own question. I can not carry concealed, but may transport as outlined below.

ALso, carrying a firearms in one's car while in Rhode Island can be done without a RI CCW permit as follows:

Quote:
CARRYING
It is unlawful to carry a handgun on or about one’s person or in any vehicle or conveyance without a license to carry. Exceptions to this prohibition are:
• A person in his dwelling house, place of business, or on land possessed by him.
• A person licensed to carry in another state, provided he is merely transporting the weapon through the state with no intent to detain himself or remain within Rhode Island.
• Law enforcement personnel.
• Military personnel when on duty.
• Members of organizations authorized to purchase firearms from the U.S. provided they are at or going to or from their places of assembly or target practice.
• A person carrying a handgun unloaded and securely wrapped from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or in moving goods from one’s place of abode or business to another.
• A person who is transporting a handgun from his home or place of business to a “bona fide target practice range” and back, provided the handgun is broken down, unloaded, and carried openly, or is unloaded and secured in a separate container.

In short, since RI does not require a license to merely possess a firearm (jnlcuding a handgun), you can travel with your handgun (in a non-concealed status) to Rhode Island and you can take your handgun in the vehicle (again, out of reach and unloaded) if you wish to go shooting at a range or other "bone fide" shooting facility

As one of the regular setup guys, Paul is really trying to put on a good show this year, and I am looking forward to doing my part to help out.

That said, MANville typically has 3 pits, with 4 stages; BUT is going through (finally) berm improvements this year. They've gotten pretty bad, and we will do our best to set up fun, challenging stages given the existing (and expected to change) range conditions. We are not sure about the status of the upper range (the one I have "adopted" as MINE MINE MINE....all MINE!) for this first match, as it has the largest berms of the group, and the most sensitive to stray shots (but it'll be nice to have it done, and safer is always better).

Plan currently is 5 stages in three bays (if possible due to construction) or 4 stages in two bays if the top one is under construction.

Check the www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.asp site Friday or Saturday for further information.

As to going out of MA with a firearm, as long as you are in compliance with the peaceful journey laws, you will be fine.

As Gary said, don't break traffic laws, you won't have to worry about it. Lock the guns in an opaque container, unloaded, and put them in the trunk, separate the ammo from them, and you should have no problems, as you are going to a sanctioned competition.

Regards,
Greg

I have shot many matches at Manville and found them to be well run and a lot of fun. These people put on a good show.

Thanks Gammon!

We certainly do try...I have been having a ball setting up stages and letting people at 'em. I also have to thank those who have helped proofread them in the past and suggest ways to make them more entertaining. Here's hoping for more good shooting this year.

I'll let Paul know his efforts are appreciated (as I don't know for sure if he reads this forum or not).

This is the annual "special" match....check the USPSA NE sectional schedule for more details.

See ya all tomorrow!

Thanks to all shooters who showed up today, braving the forecast monsoon to take part in the match. I hope everyone had fun, as I certainly did. Great turnout, considering the weather- and we hope that you all enjoyed the surprise- not four, but SIX classifiers sent in for you today.

Thanks again for coming down, and hope to see you all again soon.

Greg

Hey Manville crew,
Thanks for holding the match in the wet conditions and for letting us play in the rain (and slide in the mud [smile]).

After the first stage when I could not feel my finger tips (cold + raw weather) I was ready to pack up and head home - thanks for talking me in to staying - I guess shooting matches in inclement weather is good practice.

Hopefully the sun will be shinning at the next match.

Hey Manville crew,
Thanks for holding the match in the wet conditions and for letting us play in the rain (and slide in the mud [smile]).

After the first stage when I could not feel my finger tips (cold + raw weather) I was ready to pack up and head home - thanks for talking me in to staying - I guess shooting matches in inclement weather is good practice.

Hopefully the sun will be shinning at the next match.

That was a nice slide into 2nd,
Running behind you, seeing you slide, I was thinking, I hope that muzzle doesn't come around because I really don't want to dive into a mud puddle.

Excellent recovery and great muzzle control.

The whole ride down to the match I was debating whether I should turn around or not, I usually do very poorly on classifiers, did I want to do 6 of them in the rain. After 2 procedurals, leaving my holster locked on the El Pres. Having my C-more lens cover stay on during a draw and a jam, all on different stages. Add to that, my gloves, jacket and boots turned out NOT to be waterproof... All in all it was a pretty crap match, but better than staying home and cleaning the house[grin]

I nearly turned around on the way to the range too. It was fun though, my hands are almost thawed out, and now I'm classed in Production, which I've always wanted to do.

I didn't know how those Cmore lens covers worked. I thought you pulled it off BEFORE you got to the line. That is why I asked Matt as Mike was about to shoot, "what happens if the cover doesn't pop come off?" Thanks for the demo.

Yeah, Paul's showed perfect muzzle control when he slipped and then he was up and blasting in a flash too. It might have been planned, maybe he was just showing off. [wink]

I didn't know how those Cmore lens covers worked. I thought you pulled it off BEFORE you got to the line. That is why I asked Matt as Mike was about to shoot, "what happens if the cover doesn't pop come off?" Thanks for the demo.

My classifiers are almost comical with the stupid things I do.[rolleyes]

The cover worked well for 4 stages, it kept the rain off the lens and didn't interfer with the draw. I just helps to make sure its attached securely to the belt

Back
Top Bottom