• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA with 9mm , Any Recommendations ?

Greetings,

I am wanting to start USPSA competitions this summer. I was hoping to compete in the production class with a 9mm (because of the cost).

I have my eye on a Glock-17, but being that im in massachusetts... perhaps something else would be better.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks !
-Lenny

You can find plenty of used Glocks in almost any shop in MA, if that is what you really want. S&W M&P are also very popular for in production class.

Four seasons has a used glock 17 for $499 right now. You can get them here, you just have to look a bit harder.

You can't go wrong with a Glock 17 in the Production Division of USPSA.

Any Glock, S&W M&P, or XD would be a great choice for production, I am using a XD and have had great success with it, but as the other have said there is nothing wrong with the Glock. If you get a chance shoot them all and find out what feels better and works best for you.

Not until 2013. We still have time to change their mind.

Trend is already here, and I think you'll find more and more local shooters will be shooting them

Top 15 Production Nationals
1. Ben Stoeger Beretta
2. Rob Leatham Springfield XDM
3. Dave Sevigny Glock
4. Matt Mink CZ
5. Phil Strader CZ
6. Rodney May Sig X5
7. Kale Garretson CZ
8. Brad Engmann S&W M&P
9. Angus Hobdell CZ
10. Lee Demaculangan Glock
11. Sonny Morton S&W M&P
12. Chad Reilly CZ
13. Michael Hollar Glock
14. Cody McKenna CZ
15. Mike Hughes S&W M&P

Last edited:
... perhaps something else would be better.

Any recommendations ?

That is perhaps an aspirational choice, but doesn't really meet the needs of the OP. Glock 17 or an M&P represent affordable options that allow one to get their feet wet.

Might as well start off with the better gun rather than having to upgrade to a real gun later

Last edited:
Might as well start off with the better gun rather than having to upgrade to a real gun later
You're just being contrary and difficult. Dumping a lot of money into a CZ as a starter gun in pointless. It'll be money pissed away once you and your kind offer him a taste of Open and he ends up going broke in that arms race.

Besides the OP did indicate that cost was a factor.

You're just being contrary and difficult. Dumping a lot of money into a CZ as a starter gun in pointless. It'll be money pissed away once you and your kind offer him a taste of Open and he ends up going broke in that arms race.

Besides the OP did indicate that cost was a factor.

contrary and difficult? that doesn't sound like me.
He will be able to get a lot more money for a CZ then a glock when he trades it in for an Open gun. Its just good financial sense to get the CZ then go straight to Open

Glock 17 - you will not regret the purchase.
As others have already stated you can also look into M&P or Springfield XD's.

I like the idea of a CZ = I still want one myself and I have a glock and xd.

What's a Mass Markup glock 34 go for now a days here in the peoples republic of Mass

If you can find one, I would suspect somewhere over $600.00. I snagged a new one from out of state 2 years ago for $650.00 but I'm not a shopper. With time and patience you might do better.

Again, Colonel Cooper is coughing "BULSLIT" in his grave as looks at were "Defensive Pistol" competition has gone. Down the road most traveled by the shooters with high cap mags have all gone.
I always love the pic of the Col running in the sand as he feeds a 1911 with another mag headed for his next target.
"Nough Said"

Again, Colonel Cooper is coughing "BULSLIT" in his grave as looks at were "Defensive Pistol" competition has gone. Down the road most traveled by the shooters with high cap mags have all gone.
I always love the pic of the Col running in the sand as he feeds a 1911 with another mag headed for his next target.
"Nough Said"

what the hell are you talking about?

If you like Glocks, the 17 is a fine choice for production. I think you can't go wrong with a G17, G34, M&P 9fs, M&P 9 Pro, or XD(m) 5.25.

I'd like to try a CZ, but it's certainly not my choice of gun that's holding back my match results. Starting out, I'd much rather have a plastic gun and 10,000 rounds of practice ammo than a CZ.

Opinions are like A-holes as they say...

Glocks are awesome guns. M&Ps are also very good. Like the XDM 5.25 but haven't shot one yet. All are around 600-800 for the gun with some minor tweaking you may want- sights, trigger, etc.

CZs... yeah I like them but they are almost 2X the cost of the plastic guns above.

In either case- guns like this have a pretty decent market and providing you pay a fair price... you'd get a fair price if you decided to sell it to get another one... or like most of us that have the bug... you will keep it and find a way to get more. Just telling you the way it is....

"Nough Said"

What the hell does that even mean?

Greetings,

Thanks so much for your responses !

I really do like the glock... but someone pointed out the XD to me... and i really like the look of it. I will see if the "firing line" range has one i can interview...

Yes, cost is an issue... but i dont want to throw the money away either.

I've been looking (ok stalking) the four seasons used gun list for their list of glocks... the G17 has been my current choice.

Hopefully i can get something in the next month or so.

Thanks again !
-Lenny

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?ArticleID=41279&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1

Read up on Colonel Cooper if you would like.
My best bet at the translation ... "haha look at all the talk about plastic guns, grab me a 1911 and call it a day."

Took me a while to get back in and yes a good translation. I was tired that day but my better rant involves practical shooting with "open" pieces that run with 32 that's thirty-two rounds per magazine. Holy Crap !! Anyone care to explain how a "Open" rated piece is in any way "Practical"?

And it is sad the Colonel's name is not more widely recognized. Especially in this Forum.

USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, were all, according to Cooper steered away from the initial intent. Shoot what you carry. Shoot it well, and at the right target. The bad guy.
And Cooper was a huge advocate of a 1911 in 45 acp was the ultimate defensive piece. If 7-8 rounds was not enough, with a spare mag or two, you needed more practice.

Took me a while to get back in and yes a good translation. I was tired that day but my better rant involves practical shooting with "open" pieces that run with 32 that's thirty-two rounds per magazine. Holy Crap !! Anyone care to explain how a "Open" rated piece is in any way "Practical"?

And it is sad the Colonel's name is not more widely recognized. Especially in this Forum.

USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, were all, according to Cooper steered away from the initial intent. Shoot what you carry. Shoot it well, and at the right target. The bad guy.
And Cooper was a huge advocate of a 1911 in 45 acp was the ultimate defensive piece. If 7-8 rounds was not enough, with a spare mag or two, you needed more practice.

I kind of agree with you. I'm going to write USPSA and demand they start a division for 1911s with a 7-8 round capacity.

And who is this Colonel you speak of? Colonel Sanders? Colonel Angus?

Back
Top Bottom