USPSA with 9mm , Any Recommendations ?

Took me a while to get back in and yes a good translation. I was tired that day but my better rant involves practical shooting with "open" pieces that run with 32 that's thirty-two rounds per magazine. Holy Crap !! Anyone care to explain how a "Open" rated piece is in any way "Practical"?

And it is sad the Colonel's name is not more widely recognized. Especially in this Forum.

USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, were all, according to Cooper steered away from the initial intent. Shoot what you carry. Shoot it well, and at the right target. The bad guy.
And Cooper was a huge advocate of a 1911 in 45 acp was the ultimate defensive piece. If 7-8 rounds was not enough, with a spare mag or two, you needed more practice.

I would have just stuck with the incoherent post, at least people only suspected you were an idiot then.

And Cooper was a huge advocate of a 1911 in 45 acp was the ultimate defensive piece. If 7-8 rounds was not enough, with a spare mag or two, you needed more practice.

Only till he got a Bren Ten that was actually shipped with magazines!
The "practical" shooting games have as much real life to them as NASCAR does to "stock" cars.

Took me a while to get back in and yes a good translation. I was tired that day but my better rant involves practical shooting with "open" pieces that run with 32 that's thirty-two rounds per magazine. Holy Crap !! Anyone care to explain how a "Open" rated piece is in any way "Practical"?

And it is sad the Colonel's name is not more widely recognized. Especially in this Forum.

USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, were all, according to Cooper steered away from the initial intent. Shoot what you carry. Shoot it well, and at the right target. The bad guy.

What's more practical about having less ammo?

I know who the Colonel was, and I have a great respect for him. I just don't agree that pistol development stopped when he sold Gunsite in 1992.

If you keep score, it's a game, and some people are going to try to win. I've found that most people who rant and rave about 'gamesmen' ruining IPSC are pissed because they can't keep up or use it as excuse for not even trying. In Cooper's day, a 10 second El Presidente was hot shit. Now a world class time (with a 1911 45) is half that. I (a mid to high "C" class shooter) can do it in about 8 with an M&P.

One problem with this viewpoint is you think that these things are anything other than gun games, and that's where your problems lie. I mean some who play IDPA lie to this to themselves more than the others, but those who have shot it long enough know better.

Stop thinking about them as formalized "defensive firearms training" and start thinking about them as gun games where you can have fun and improve upon basic shooting skills, and all this stuff quickly becomes moot. Your life will be a lot easier that way.

-Mike

What's more practical about having less ammo?

I know who the Colonel was, and I have a great respect for him. I just don't agree that pistol development stopped when he sold Gunsite in 1992.

If you keep score, it's a game, and some people are going to try to win. I've found that most people who rant and rave about 'gamesmen' ruining IPSC are pissed because they can't keep up or use it as excuse for not even trying. In Cooper's day, a 10 second El Presidente was hot shit. Now a world class time (with a 1911 45) is half that. I (a mid to high "C" class shooter) can do it in about 8 with an M&P.

images

One problem with this viewpoint is you think that these things are anything other than gun games, and that's where your problems lie. I mean some who play IDPA lie to this to themselves more than the others, but those who have shot it long enough know better.

Stop thinking about them as formalized "defensive firearms training" and start thinking about them as gun games where you can have fun and improve upon basic shooting skills, and all this stuff quickly becomes moot. Your life will be a lot easier that way.

-Mike
+1

Mike I get that they are games. I just wish that more of the Mutton Heads on here had some sense of where they came from in the first place. I don't consider them "formalized" as you stated any more than I feel reloading is a study intented to gain a mastery of ballistics. I shoot it to improve skills and for fun like everybody else. I do shoot single stack. I like it and I carry a 1911. I only wanted to make the point that the "Games" have gotten too far from their origins. For me. Plus tried to stir up some crap at the same time. I failed to get my first point across successfully thus got tagged as an idiot. Thanks Super. Being humbled is a good thing at times.

I still wish more people took even 20 minutes to read at least a good bio of Col. Cooper.

I still wish more people took even 20 minutes to read at least a good bio of Col. Cooper.
I've read one of his books and always enjoyed his Cooper's Commentaries. But I didn't then (and don't now) agree with everything he said.

Last edited:
I only wanted to make the point that the "Games" have gotten too far from their origins. For me.

I think that criticism is as boring as saying the NBA has strayed too far from the fundamentals of basketball.

+1

Mike I get that they are games. I just wish that more of the Mutton Heads on here had some sense of where they came from in the first place. I don't consider them "formalized" as you stated any more than I feel reloading is a study intented to gain a mastery of ballistics. I shoot it to improve skills and for fun like everybody else. I do shoot single stack. I like it and I carry a 1911. I only wanted to make the point that the "Games" have gotten too far from their origins. For me. Plus tried to stir up some crap at the same time. I failed to get my first point across successfully thus got tagged as an idiot. Thanks Super. Being humbled is a good thing at times.

Origins of USPSA? You joined USPSA 2 years ago and have only shot 3 or 4 matches.

I only wanted to make the point that the "Games" have gotten too far from their origins. For me. Plus tried to stir up some crap at the same time. I failed to get my first point across successfully thus got tagged as an idiot. Thanks Super. Being humbled is a good thing at times.

You sure stirred up Supermoto.. he's one of the best in that category. The only other one that was close is now banned. Need thick skin on this forum...

That being said- I'm not an expert on the history of USPSA.. but it sure is fun.

You sure stirred up Supermoto.. he's one of the best in that category. The only other one that was close is now banned. Need thick skin on this forum...

That being said- I'm not an expert on the history of USPSA.. but it sure is fun.

If you want to learn USPSA History, next time you run into Mike Briggs ask him. He was the Historian for the Southwest Pistol League and shot with them along with Cooper and others. Some people who post have read. Others talk to people that were there and get the real story. Mike is a very interesting person. Specially after a couple adult beverages.

In the days of the original NERDPC we spent a lot of time as SOs on the Friday and Satrurday nights of the match. I learned a great deal.

It's not as cool as getting stories in person, but the 'Hell, I was There' forum on enos has a bunch of fun stuff to read.

Thanks all...

It looks like i'll probably get an M&P 9mm... i was looking at them at blue northern this week and i liked the feel of it. The quality and consistency is good enough for starting out in the production class. Any accuracy issues are going to be my technique and not the gun at this point.

-Lenny

If you are interested in the M&P standard length, I'll be selling my M&P in a couple of weeks, Everything you need (gun, trigger job, fiber optic front sight, grip tape, 6 mags, map pouches and holster) to get started in Production

I really don't like reloading. I like my guns to be like movie guns, don't recoil, don't run out of ammo
If you wanted to do it like they do in the movies you'd stop every three steps and rack your slide for no apparent reason. Then when you engaged a target you'd only do it after first glaring at it over the top of your glasses while assuming an exaggerated Weaver stance.

If you are interested in the M&P standard length, I'll be selling my M&P in a couple of weeks, Everything you need (gun, trigger job, fiber optic front sight, grip tape, 6 mags, map pouches and holster) to get started in Production

Can't send you PM... your box is full...

Back
Top Bottom